Viewliner toilet in roomette - How can you stand it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
I wouldn't call myself a germ freak, but this one really really disgusts me. Maybe it's only me, so that's why I raise the question.

How can you stand that you are sitting right next to a place where someone does their business? I'm a male, and I know for a fact that areas around toilets are never "clean".

So I'm wondering how one can stand having the toilet right next to you. I've never gone in a roomette in a viewliner because of this fact. I don't think I could take it.

Is it not as close as the pictures show?

Also, do they disinfect everything after each ride?

roomette.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't trust how well that thing gets cleaned during turnabout; so when in Viewliner I always pack a travel packet of disinfecting wipes and sponge that bad boy down thoroughly. After that, as long as you leave the lid down it's not really that bad.

Toilets have been used in roomettes for over 60 years. The lid is supposed to fit very tightly over the bowl so there should not be any odor or unpleasant action from them. Bringing disinfectant wipes in a good idea. I do not believe that anyone has died so far because of the roomette toilets.

I rode a viewliner on the Crescent from New Orleans to Washington DC. Had no problems with the toilet. I used it just like I'd use any other public restroom. Didn't have any odors or anything either and honetly never thought about it being germy. <shrug>

90% of the time the lid was shut and my backpack sitting on top of it anyway, so it's not like you see it sitting there all the time.

Makes a nice side table for electronics too. :)

n5khl0.jpg

I ride in Viewliner roomettes almost every time I travel. I always bring clorox wipes with me and clean the entire room as soon as I board the train. I have seen SCA spray the toilet with lysol after one passenger has left the room and before the next one arrives. I like having the convenience of a toilet and sink in my room.

I've never had a problem with odor. But I bring a can of air freshener just in case. I board at PHL which is a receiving only and discharging only station for long distance trains. So I know that it's clean when I board at PHL. Most of the time I board at the POI on my return so I know it's normally clean also but I bring something just in case. But keep in mind that the lid to cover the toilet is also a step to the top bunk. So that's another reason to clean! :blink:

I usually sit on it rather than standing...

*ahem*

The setup that's in use now has been used at least since the 30s. It really doesn't bother me...it may not be the most overtly sanitary setup in the world, but it is quite easy to work with. Now, if you're sharing a roomette that can be another issue entirely, but if it's just me? It's never bothered me in the least.

I couldn't even stand the toilet in the bedrooms so now I only travel in roomettes because on most trains they don't have a toilet inside like they do on the viewliner. I guess we're each entitled to our own quirks and this is one of mine. I couldn't ride in the viewliner roomette with a toilet but am happy some folk are fine with it.

On the Viewliners that were ordered last year I believe the toilets were removed from the roomettes in the design.

My most traveled route is the Meteor from SAV to WAS. A virtuous benefit of taking an overnight roomette is the opportunity to bring a palette pleasing vino, consumed to relax and ponder life by while crossing the country in the darkness. Eventually, that little toilet becomes very convenient, as opposed to bouncing against the interior walls of the Viewliner searching for relief in the public facility while on CSX track. Both of those may have their own surprises awaiting I'd rather not experience.

*ahem*

The setup that's in use now has been used at least since the 30s. It really doesn't bother me...it may not be the most overtly sanitary setup in the world, but it is quite easy to work with. Now, if you're sharing a roomette that can be another issue entirely, but if it's just me? It's never bothered me in the least.
Actually,Anderson, there is a difference. The preAmtrak roomette, invented in 1937, only slept one. And the toilet was completely covered over to match the chair. You could use the toilet as a footrest. There was nothing about it that reminded you of a toilet until you needed it.

The roomettes which Amtrak inherited all slept one person. And of course the cars that got designated as "heritage" had roomettes which only slept one. When Amtrak built its own true equipment, the small room now slept two and was originally known by such names as economy bedroom and compartment. That word compartment was confusing because in the old days a compartment was an especially nice room, larger than a bedroom.The big room in the new cars was called a deluxe bedroom.

I do not see any problem with the toilet in todays roomettes if you are traveling alone. With two persons that may be different.

As to cleanliness and a certain male, uh, "directional" problem (esp. at 79 mph)one just have to clean up after oneself,easy to do. Do not leave it dirty. And perhaps try to schedule your uses while the train is stopped at a station, something we were not supposed to do in the past when it opened out to the track below. Also, in all my years I have NEVER checked into a roomette which was not clean.I would be mortified if I had.

Incidentally,as to the odor problem I seem to recall that preAmtrak roomettes had a fan, for any kind of stuffinesss. I have read that today's equipment helps to take care of the odor problem in some other way,without a fan.

The Viewliner II's will NOT have toilets in the roomettes; as the Viewliner I's are renovated, the toilets will be removed from the roomettes.

After reading all the posts the question that I have is, which is more convenient- a toilet and sink in the roomette or a walk down the hall to the end of the car for a pitstop in the middle of the night? When the toilet top is down, you don't even know that the toilet is there. If it is sprayed with Lysol or wiped down with Clorox wipes before use, I see absolutly no health risks. It is a system that has been in use on trains for 70-80 years but it will soon go away. Amtrak is removing the toilets reportedly by popular demand but in reality the significant cost savings on the new Viewliner II cars is probably the motivation. Public restrooms will then be the only option.

It has never bothered me to walk down the hall or go downstairs on the Superliners and I'm sure the extra space gained by removing the toilet will be welcomed. Perhaps they can put in a flip down shelf/step in its place. I wouldn't mind if they kept the fold up sink, but that would require a fairly extensive plumbing network itself.

It's never bothered me much either way. Just wash your hands and you'll be fine.

Removal of the toilets in the new Viewliners is more due to cost and maintenance headaches. Fewer toilets = fewer things to break, freeze up, or clog.

Amtrak is removing the toilets reportedly by popular demand but in reality the significant cost savings on the new Viewliner II cars is probably the motivation. Public restrooms will then be the only option.
Yes, I've no doubt that cost was a factor in the decision to remove the toilets from the roomettes in the new Viewliner II's. However, it wasn't the only factor either.

A simple check around this forum and even in this topic shows that people are pretty evenly divided on whether or not they like having the toilet in the room. This is not being done on the strength of just a few complaints, there is considerable opposition to the in room toilets as designed. If some way could be found to enclose it, I suspect that opinions would change considerably, but I can't envision how that could be done.

Finally, a second major factor is freeze issues. By eliminating the toilets in the roomettes, Amtrak greatly reduces the problems associated with frozen water pipes and frozen waste pipes. This means that Amtrak can keep the cars in service with less problems and less costs during the winter, both of which are very important to the riders.

Although I am not pleased that the new viewliner roomettes will be without private toilets, a couple of SCAs that I have spoken to are extremely happy about the new design. Instead of cleaning 10 roomette toilets, they will be cleaning only one or two public toilets.

I wouldn't call myself a germ freak, but this one really really disgusts me. Maybe it's only me, so that's why I raise the question.

How can you stand that you are sitting right next to a place where someone does their business? I'm a male, and I know for a fact that areas around toilets are never "clean".

So I'm wondering how one can stand having the toilet right next to you. I've never gone in a roomette in a viewliner because of this fact. I don't think I could take it.

Is it not as close as the pictures show?

Also, do they disinfect everything after each ride?

roomette.jpg

Thanks.
Rode both the Crescent and the Cardinal in roomettes with my better half. No problems either with the sanitation/order or closeness.

Toilets have been used in roomettes for over 60 years. The lid is supposed to fit very tightly over the bowl so there should not be any odor or unpleasant action from them. Bringing disinfectant wipes in a good idea. I do not believe that anyone has died so far because of the roomette toilets.
:cool: I find that very interesting, since you believe placing a piece of luggage on the top bunk is UNCIVILIZED!!! :lol:

And how clean do you think the "Public" toilet will be? How often will those be cleaned?

I've used the toilets in coach. The condition left by other passengers is a disgrace. I'd much rather have the toilet in the roomette and keep it clean myself, than to share the toilet with strangers that may not be respectful of others.

I just this minute got on the LSL and my only comment is that I am positive the toilet makes the bed more narrow....

I'm not complaining about the TOILET cleanliness, I am complaining that areas around the toilet will have "residue". And the toilets being that close to the seats really makes me cringe.

*ahem*

Actually,Anderson, there is a difference. The preAmtrak roomette, invented in 1937, only slept one. And the toilet was completely covered over to match the chair. You could use the toilet as a footrest. There was nothing about it that reminded you of a toilet until you needed it.

The roomettes which Amtrak inherited all slept one person. And of course the cars that got designated as "heritage" had roomettes which only slept one. When Amtrak built its own true equipment, the small room now slept two and was originally known by such names as economy bedroom and compartment. That word compartment was confusing because in the old days a compartment was an especially nice room, larger than a bedroom.The big room in the new cars was called a deluxe bedroom.

I do not see any problem with the toilet in todays roomettes if you are traveling alone. With two persons that may be different.

As to cleanliness and a certain male, uh, "directional" problem (esp. at 79 mph)one just have to clean up after oneself,easy to do. Do not leave it dirty. And perhaps try to schedule your uses while the train is stopped at a station, something we were not supposed to do in the past when it opened out to the track below. Also, in all my years I have NEVER checked into a roomette which was not clean.I would be mortified if I had.

Incidentally,as to the odor problem I seem to recall that preAmtrak roomettes had a fan, for any kind of stuffinesss. I have read that today's equipment helps to take care of the odor problem in some other way,without a fan.
Bill,

You make a fair point; I keep forgetting that the "Cabin for One" on the Canadian was the standard. And to be fair, when heading up to NYP with a friend (we booked a roomette since coach was in a high enough bucket vis-a-vis the sleeper for it to be a break-even proposition), we both took a walk to find the nearest restroom (about four cars away) rather than "do business" in one another's presence. The ability to have something along the lines of an old-style compartment was a plus...but it made the toilet a no-go/

My toilet and I slept like babies, and awoke in Cleveland. Made coffee in my room, showered and have now had breakfast. Really lots of other things are higher on my list of dislikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back