Viewliner vs Superliner Roomettes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not worry about the small well covered toilet in the Viewliner. Toilets have been in roomettes, slumbercoaches and duplex sleepers since the 1940's. If you need to go in the middle of the night you will appreciate the convenience. Most of the time its just for a piddle so its no big deal even if your wife or husband are in there with you. I would assume that your spouse has seen you in the buff before so if they get a peak you won't die from it. Most of the time they will be sleeping anyway and their head will be on the other side of the roomette. If you are very modest and your partner is awake just ask them to pull the covers over their head for a moment. Now if your event has a smell associated with it, then that's vacate time.

I prefer the Viewliner design over the Superliner. I always end up in the top bunk, which is quite tight for me at 6' 2" and 200 pounds. The Viewliner gives me more space and I can still look out the window :)
I'm 5'7", 150 and had a tough time getting in to the upper bunk in the Superliner roomette! Once I was able to lay down, it was fine, but it was quite strange getting stuck trying to get in to bed. Plenty of room in the viewliner top bunk, though.
Its a lot easier to get in if you take down the safety net. Then when you get settled you can reattach it.

Although we always travel in bedrooms, I would prefer the Viewliner roomette over the Superliner Rommette. Viewliner sleepers are noiser though as they are closer to the tracks than the Superliner bedrooms are. On the Superliner you sleep on the second story that is farther from the wheels and tracks so there is less noise.

As for the reason for the Viewliners; they cannot run Superliners on the Eastern routes as the height would not clear the overhead gantry power cables that run the electric locomotives on the NE corridor. However, NJT and MARC are running double decker commuter cars on it but I believe that the lower level on these cars runs very close to the tracks to provide more clearance for the upper level. Its a good question on how they can run one double decker passenger car design while not being able to run the other.
Interestingly, I find the noise on the Viewliners somehow comforting and it puts me to sleep faster!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back