Viewliners and Wheelchairs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradley Bitzer

Train Attendant
It looks like my family and I will be doing our first major Amtrak ride next summer, from PGH to ORL...and on AGR Points :) My father is in a wheelchair, and I was a bit concerned about accessiblity. I know his sleeper would be okay, but are the hallways? Can he navigate from the sleepers to the Cafe car, for example. I'm sure he can, but I just want to double check before we book and such.

Sadly, no. Wheelchairs do not fit through the aisles of Amtrak trains. If he's unable to leave his chair and walk at all, even with assistance, then he'll largely be confined to the room and dependent on the attendant for meals.

Definitely let the Sleeper Attendant know that he will need his meals brought to him. They will do their best to get his meal to him as quickly as possible. Other passengers may be ordering their meals in their rooms as well, so there could be a bit of a delay there.

I hope you and your family have a safe and enjoyable trip. :)

No wheelchair can navigate the corners of the corridor in the Viewliner sleeper or diner cars, unfortunately.

For coach passengers, a narrow wheelchair may be able to run down the aisle and into the dining car. But the other end of the diner (the end next to the sleepers) has sharp turns in the passageway around the kitchen, and the sleeper cars have even sharper turns around the bedrooms.

So if your father is confined to a wheelchair, he (a) needs to reserve the wheelchair-accessible room, and (b) will basically be stuck in his room (it'll have wheelchair access to the car vestibule & door, but that's it). The sleeper attendant is obliged to bring his diner meals (included in the ticket price) to him, and should also be willing to get him stuff from the cafe if he asks.

I notice you say PGH to ORL. If you're doing PGH to WAS, that is a bilevel Superliner and is if anything even less accessible (your father will be on the lower floor, everything else is on the upper floor, even in coach.) If you're doing PGH-PHL, that's all coach (no sleepers) and it may be possible to reserve a space in the coach next to the cafe car.

ORL doesn't have level boarding, PGH doesn't have level boarding, and WAS doesn't have level boarding for Superliners or for trains heading south -- so you'll have to make sure Amtrak gets out the wheelchair lift at any of those stations. I'm not sure if they use wheelchair lifts at Philadelphia, but I think it's level boarding "roll on roll off" there.

Also be sure to request the H-Room. It is nearest the door, the hallway to the room is wide enough for a wheelchair, the room and separate enclose bathroom are big enough for a wheelchair - and is the largest room on the Viewliner! (Even larger than a "regular" bedroom!) If he does not request the H-Room, there is no way to get to his room without his walking, and folding up the wheelchair.

Definitely get the accessible bedroom. We always had to phone to get it; I don't think you can reserve it online. My husband could walk enough to get to the diner, so we never tried pushing his transport chair. It's smaller than a regular wheelchair (no large wheels, must be pushed) but I don't know if it would have fit in the aisle or not. Amtrak does have wheelchair lifts for boarding, but make sure you let them know it's needed when you make your reservations. The attendants were always very helpful to us, and we tipped them for their extra service. They will bring meals to your room but I would ask early as it may take them some time. We only had to have meals in our room the last time we rode. I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back