Walking staff on the train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R Johnson

Train Attendant
The time for my first trip, Connersville to Staunton is fast approaching. I’ve spent a lot of time reading about Amtrak travel in general and as much about the Cardinal as I can find. I am, I think, ready.

There is one thing that I am pretty sure, but not positive, about. I’ll be spending most of the time between the ride on 50 and 51 day-hiking sections of the Appalachian Trail in VA and WV. I can walk without a staff, but I would really like to have one. Over the years, having a walking staff has kept my face from colliding with the ground on many occasions. It is also useful in pushing poison ivy and briars out of the way, and twice has been used to encourage one rattlesnake and one copperhead to give me right of way.

I have managed to send a walking staff through baggage check at airports without any trouble but there is no checked baggage at Connersville’s Amtrak station. Is there any place that a lightweight (carved tulip poplar maybe five feet long tapering from about an inch + to about ¾ inch) could be stowed, or would it be considered a “weapon” as are several other items? My guess, is no.

I’m seriously considering shipping it to the HoJo in Staunton and shipping it home before getting on 51.

Unless something happens at work, an unfortunate possibility, I should be on train 50 June 6.

The time for my first trip, Connersville to Staunton is fast approaching. I’ve spent a lot of time reading about Amtrak travel in general and as much about the Cardinal as I can find. I am, I think, ready. There is one thing that I am pretty sure, but not positive, about. I’ll be spending most of the time between the ride on 50 and 51 day-hiking sections of the Appalachian Trail in VA and WV. I can walk without a staff, but I would really like to have one. Over the years, having a walking staff has kept my face from colliding with the ground on many occasions. It is also useful in pushing poison ivy and briars out of the way, and twice has been used to encourage one rattlesnake and one copperhead to give me right of way.

I have managed to send a walking staff through baggage check at airports without any trouble but there is no checked baggage at Connersville’s Amtrak station. Is there any place that a lightweight (carved tulip poplar maybe five feet long tapering from about an inch + to about ¾ inch) could be stowed, or would it be considered a “weapon” as are several other items? My guess, is no.

I’m seriously considering shipping it to the HoJo in Staunton and shipping it home before getting on 51.

Unless something happens at work, an unfortunate possibility, I should be on train 50 June 6.
I would expect that a walking staff would not be found to be unusual on the Cardinal given the fact many hikers would use that train for their hiking adventures. The overhead luggage rack would provide ample space for your staff.

I would plan to take the walking staff with you! Overhead storage would be the best place.

Many hikers use Amtrak for transit to/from hike destinations. A buddy of mine and I took full packs, etc. on NEC regional on our way to/from hike in Massachusetts. We were unable to use the overhead racks - so we placed packs on the open floor area located in the front (or back depending upon coach configuration) along with the other bags that were already there.

The main thing I am doing is going to the AT when I use Amtrak. I have never carried a wooden staff, but I do carry Leki poles every time and have not gotten any trouble with them and they look strange to the casual eye. I don't think you will have any trouble.

Also you might want to look at moving your travel time up a couple of days if you can. There is the annual hiker fest in Waynesboro on June 5th put on by the Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church. I have never made it to this event so I don't know good it is, but it seems like a good way to start a trip.

Are you flying or taking the train?? The level of paranoia on Amtrak is very low - On Amtrak you can have a knife on your waist - as long as you are not waving it about, no problem. Don't try that on a plane!!!

Enjoy your trip.

AMTRAK - the civilised way to get there :D

I doubt that Amtrak would worry about a wooden walking stick but just to be sure, lean heavily on it and make sure to walk with a limp!

I mis-read your post as you going on 50 and 51 days walks... Now that would be impressive!
Ed :cool:
No, I’m taking train #50 to Staunton, spending four days doing day hikes, and then returning home on train #51.

In the past, I’ve spent a lot more than fifty days on the trail. The first time I was on the trail for more than a few hours I started on March 31, and quit on July 24. In 1980 I did a hike that lasted right at six weeks. Last year was a short one, about five days and 65 miles.

From the replies so far, I am seeing that the baggage regulations are not exactly rigid. They can’t be if people are bringing fully loaded packs on the train.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I really thought a walking staff would be a no no, but now I’ll bring it along.

I would plan to take the walking staff with you! Overhead storage would be the best place.
Many hikers use Amtrak for transit to/from hike destinations. A buddy of mine and I took full packs, etc. on NEC regional on our way to/from hike in Massachusetts. We were unable to use the overhead racks - so we placed packs on the open floor area located in the front (or back depending upon coach configuration) along with the other bags that were already there.
I wish there were better Amtrak connections from Indiana to the northeast. I haven’t done the Whites yet but just getting there and back by train would eat most of my vacation. Most of my time on the AT is spent rehiking sections in GA, NC, and TN. The only time I’ve been on the AT in Virginia since 1975 was when I used the Cornelius (sp?) Creek shelter for an overnight stay while bicycling the Blue Ridge Parkway. I’d love to do that trip again. Do you think they would notice if I snuck a bike loaded for touring on the train?

I’ll have to miss the doin’s in Waynesboro. It came to my attention last Friday that there might be a conflict with the trip I have planned as it is. The company is going to be shorthanded and I might have to reschedule everything. It’s one of the drawbacks of working for a small company.

By the way, I’ve been a member of ATC since the spring of 1973. I’m looking forward to paying this year’s dues in person.

Greetings All,

On some of my mid-winter Florida trips I've carried on my baseball equipment bag which, among other things, includes a couple of bats. Never been questioned about it. I don't know why a walking stick would be treated any differently.

But it does make me ask, do OBS carry mace or something else to subdue folks who might intentionally use harmless weapons in a bad fashion?

Dave

Sorry, Whooz, but Amtrak doesn't seem to prohibit knives. I looked at their onboard baggage policies, and it only prohibits "large sharp objects" such as axes, ice picks etc.

I haven’t done the Whites yet but just getting there and back by train would eat most of my vacation.
Yeah that is probably not the best thing trying to get to the Whites, but if you want to go to the Berkshires or Green Mountains then Amtrak might look appealing by going via the Lake Shore Limited. You would have to drive up to South Bend to catch it or take a bus from Indianapolis much earlier in the day. I know it is a bit of a drive, but the LSL is a bit more convenient than trying to match the Cardinal to a regional service. The LSL stops at the Pittsfield Intermodal Center where you just get off the train and get on a city bus that takes you directly to the AT trailhead if you wanted to hike the Berkshires. This bus service will take you pretty much from the south side of MA to the north so you don't need a car and don't have to do a loop. Also the LSL connects to the Ethan Allen Express that takes you to Rutland, you stay in the hostel about 150 yards from the station and then a local bus pretty much next door will take you to the trail in the morning. They also have very good bus service in Vermont so you don't need a car or have to do a loop. Both of these options make it extremely easy to access the trail. The drive to South Bend will suck, but getting dropped off right where you need to be makes it worth it.

Am I the only one who thought that "walking staff on the train" would be the conductor making his rounds? :unsure:
I thought the same thing. I thought it was about how often the conductor and assistant conductor walk the train during their shift. I don't think there's any problem with a walking stick on a train. Some guy walking around with a knife in his belt might cause some concern!!!

Am I the only one who thought that "walking staff on the train" would be the conductor making his rounds? :unsure:
Ditto. :D
Aloha

For some reason I never thought of staff relating to employees, what I thought of how would a staff help someone walk on the train over using the seats. The train motion and a staff/Cain would take a hand away from grabbing something substantial. OH well minds are a complex thing.

Ditto. :D
Me too! :lol:

When I first read the title of the thread, I thought of the Conductor. Except they're usually not walking around, except near stops. Usually they're in the Dining Car or cafe! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back