Wall Street Journal article on wine and the Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ispolkom

Engineer
I really liked this article from the wine columnists of the Wall Street Journal. I was happy to see them do a column on their their long-standing fondness for combining Amtrak and champagne.

My favorite 2 paragraphs:

"A sleeper car aboard a train was the ultimate place. John's sainted grandmother always came to visit his family in Florida aboard a train. They waited for her on the outdoor platform. When the appropriately named Silver Meteor, glistening in the Florida sun, finally appeared, it was as if his grandmother had stepped right off from Heaven. So when we met, John suggested we start taking the train and we did. Then we started taking sleepers and only leaving the room to eat. Then we started taking food and Champagne with us and we never left the room. These were the days before cellphones and we were deliciously unreachable. Our lives have never been more intimate than they were in those tiny little sleeper cars.

But we were younger then, and thinner."

Too bad they were on the Lake Shore Limited that derailed outside of Schenectady. I liked John's comment on the video, "At least we had plenty of champagne."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back