WAS-NYP: Acela First or Regional Business

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time "guest" here, new member. I am Midwest based so have no experience with Amtrak in the NEC. Need to travel from DC to NYC soon. I'm sure this topic has been addressed here in detail but looking for some advice for my particular situation.

I have an upgrade certificate obtained from the BoA credit card and would like to use it on this trip. Checked fares for my date: regional is approx $50, Acela is $150. If I take the regional I would upgrade to business class, if Acela to first class. Time savings on Acela is pretty slim so the decision will come down to onboard experience.

Can you all give your opinion if Acela first is worth $100 above regional business? Thanks!

Depending on the train especially near departure date often Acela business class will be cheaper by a few dollars than regional. Check your date out.

If money is of no concern, and you haven't done Acela, my choice would be Acela! :) On a regional, BC gets you a sear (although usually with more legroom) and A coffee or soda. On Acela, First consists of 2x1 starting, a full meal (served at your seat) with UNLIMITED drinks including alcoholic drinks (within reason) throughout the trip!

Not to mention Regional BC is very similar to most Midwest corridor service. Whereas you have nothing like the Acela equipment in the Midwest.

So it would be a great one time experience.

I had one, exactly one, opportunity to travel from WAS to BOS with my daughter last year.

There was no question of what to do: Acela First Class.

BC on the Acela would have been fine. In fact, if transportation were the only issue, BC on the Northeast Regional would have been fine (it's really not all that much slower).

But, to say that you rode the Acela, First Class, is something you'll remember forever, as will I.

For those that haven't ridden Acela, it's the way to roll up/down the NEC! And since you have the upgrade coupon First Class is Definitely Worth it considering you get to use the Club Acelas; and, as Dave said, get fed and have a couple of adult beverages during the ride!

Yes. Definitely upgrade. I used to do this for work when the price between regional and Acela BC was "close enough" I'd pay out of pocket and then I'd use an upgrade coupon and make out like a bandit.

Different cycle though! Currently it's the chilled chicken plate, chili, eggplant parm, and crab/shrimp cake. I don't generally like chili, but I tried it today. Maybe I'm just a good chef, but damn it's good! ;)

Thanks again to all of you for the advice. Booked my ticket today on Acela first for end of April. Any specific advice for the trip? Is first actually a separate car? Is the attendant service comparable to first class airline where they are in the aisle most of the time? How about tipping?

Thanks.

Thanks again to all of you for the advice. Booked my ticket today on Acela first for end of April. Any specific advice for the trip? Is first actually a separate car? Is the attendant service comparable to first class airline where they are in the aisle most of the time? How about tipping?

Thanks.
First Class will either be the last car or first car of the train. Mostly depends on your departure time and location. The service varies by LSA crews. But there is always 2 LSA's. One prepping meals and drinks and the other serving passengers. Tipping is at your discretion. I've tipped as much as $20 for a trip from PHL to BOS and as little as $0.

Thanks.
Hopefully you enjoy the trip. What train number is it, out of curiosity?

It is a separate car. Depending on where the train originates the First Class car may be closest to the station or furthest. And to be completely honest, it will greatly depend on the crew that you have, whether or not you will receive great service. When I am working in First Class, I won't say that I spend most of my time in the aisle, but it depends on the role I'm filling in for that day. If everyone has been served and trays collected, and I'm suppose to be on the floor, I will sit for five or ten minutes before walking through the car again. If it's early morning and there's only ten people and eight are asleep, maybe 15 minutes at the most.

Tipping? I probably shouldn't answer because people may think I'm bias. Before I worked here, I personally use to tip $5, as I was only going BOS-NYP or the reverse. When my grandmother, mother, and I rode from Boston to DC we tipped $20 if I remember right. Many people don't tip at all, some tip a few dollars, groups of drinkers tend to pool $10-$20. Of course, it should greatly variate depending on the level of service you receive.

I think the worst thing I have heard out of a LSA crew is that they made an announcement over the FC PA that made it seem like it was mandatory to tip them. The worst part was they were going to get $20 out of me. Once that announcement came it quickly went to $0.

I think the worst thing I have heard out of a LSA crew is that they made an announcement over the FC PA that made it seem like it was mandatory to tip them. The worst part was they were going to get $20 out of me. Once that announcement came it quickly went to $0.
I had that happen just before arriving at the RTE(128) station. The FC attendant, Mr. J------, thanked everybody for riding Amtrak today and that "gratuities are greatly appreciated". Other methods of trolling for tips is to have a cup full of bills on the service trays when picking up after meals. Then there is the attendant at the exit door with one hand full of bills before anyone has stepped off the car. In all those cases I put the tip money back in my pocket.

That's just...tacky. I hate hearing that crews do that. If I was the Employee In Charge (EIC) in that car, I'd politely make it clear not to do that, that it reflects poorly upon both of us. And even though I could be working with someone with 15 years of seniority, even though I only have just over one year, if I am the EIC I am responsible for what happens in that car as it is mine that day so we can both get in trouble.

I had that happen just before arriving at the RTE(128) station. The FC attendant, Mr. J------, thanked everybody for riding Amtrak today and that "gratuities are greatly appreciated". Other methods of trolling for tips is to have a cup full of bills on the service trays when picking up after meals. Then there is the attendant at the exit door with one hand full of bills before anyone has stepped off the car. In all those cases I put the tip money back in my pocket.
I disagree with both of the first methods, nevermind the fact that the service trays should not be being used to collect dirty food trays. But standing at the door with bills in hand? Was it a bunch of $5s and some $10s? Keep in mind that maaaaaany passengers ask us for change for a $10, $20, or even $50, and we have to be ready to provide or lose the tip, as conductors can get irritated with us holding up the train to fumble with money.

That's just...tacky. I hate hearing that crews do that. If I was the Employee In Charge (EIC) in that car, I'd politely make it clear not to do that, that it reflects poorly upon both of us. And even though I could be working with someone with 15 years of seniority, even though I only have just over one year, if I am the EIC I am responsible for what happens in that car as it is mine that day so we can both get in trouble.
In charge or not. You can still say that. A co workers actions can also effect you. If someone called with a complaint about such actions it would be on both of you. And no one deserves to get in trouble for something they didn't have a hand in doing.

I disagree with both of the first methods, nevermind the fact that the service trays should not be being used to collect dirty food trays. But standing at the door with bills in hand? Was it a bunch of $5s and some $10s? Keep in mind that maaaaaany passengers ask us for change for a $10, $20, or even $50, and we have to be ready to provide or lose the tip, as conductors can get irritated with us holding up the train to fumble with money.
I ,and I suspect others, would ask for tip change before arriving at the destination. I understand your position, but, I have never seen the attendant make change on the platform. Most tips I have seen are passed in the handshake leaving the train.

Sunday trains out of DC will have the First Class car on the rear. I rode 2254 a few years ago and was a well timed train out of Philly to Boston.
Not necessarily on the rear. The later in the day the less likely it will be on the rear. Mostly depends on if the trainset originates in Washington or turns in Washington.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back