WAS stops on long distance trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

offroad437

Service Attendant
So we are taking the crescent and I see it shows a long stop in was, is there anything close food wise or will we not have time.

Is it wise to leave the platform, even during a long stop? I know DC Union Station well, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with the possibility of being left behind.

Is it wise to leave the platform, even during a long stop? I know DC Union Station well, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with the possibility of being left behind.
Find out from the car attendant how long the stop will be. They have to switch engines on the LD trains which takes time. I ran in for an early lunch (no lines) when I took the Cardinal from WIL to CHI.

Southbound the train can't leave before it's scheduled departure time. Northbound, I think, it can leave when they're done with the engine switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
While there is a food court, I would not chance it. :excl: As soon as the locomotive switch is complete, the train can depart going northbound. Even if it is a "scheduled" 30 minute stop, if the switch is completed in 15 minutes the train can depart anytime after that, since it does not accept new passengers. This is why a LD train could be 1:30 late to WAS but arrive into NYP on time or early!

As others have said... only if youre travelling southbound! The train has to leave on schedule southbound in order to pick up passengers. But because the Crescent doesn't pick up people north of WAS, it is a race to get to NYP as soon as it can, on schedule, early or late.

Stay trainside or very nearby! The WAS Yard Crews can get those engines cut out and in faster than a happy cat swishes its tail :) Car Attendants won't know anything about departure time and since you are changing Conductors they may not know for sure or could quickly change their mind.

Ditto on staying on the platform close to the Train! Take some food and drink or eat on the Train!! Watching the marker lights on your Train roll down the tracks without you sucks!!

The OP did not say if s/he was going northbound or southbound. I still say it MAY be safe to go into the station if on a southbound train if it's running close to on time. I had time on the south/west bound Cardinal because I knew the train was not going to leave until its scheduled departure time. It did help that it was around 11 am, so their were few people in the food court and no line at the place I wanted to grab a bite.

Thanks we are going north so we will just get a snack on the train. Thanks for the info.

Thanks we are going north so we will just get a snack on the train. Thanks for the info.
I've never ridden the Crescent but on the Silver trains, and Regionals, the cafe car closes at Alexandria and reopens after DC departure. On the Regionals the cafe car gets crowded after leaving DC Northbound

I've never ridden the Crescent but on the Silver trains, and Regionals, the cafe car closes at Alexandria and reopens after DC departure. On the Regionals the cafe car gets crowded after leaving DC Northbound
On the Southbound Crescent, the cafe/lounge car closes before arriving at Washington and does not open again until at Alexandria. A long line formed waiting for the already present SA to begin service.

I understand why the car closes during the Washington stop, no electricity for awhile, but once the power has been restored, why does the service not begin soon thereafter?

It is my observation after recent trips of the Crescent, Sunset Limited, and Southwest Chief that Amtrak looses potential sales when the Cafe/Lounge car closes at times when there appears to be decent demand. I know that the personnel need a break from time to time, but I think these could be more appropriately scheduled to maximize sales in the Cafe/Lounge car.

Keep in mind that some long distance times listed on NEC have a notation on them, and train can leave early once station work is completed.

since these trains discharge only and do not receive passengers.

A train arriving in Washington may have a listed time of 25 minutes for engine change but if MofE does it faster, the train leaves.

On the Southbound Crescent, the cafe/lounge car closes before arriving at Washington and does not open again until at Alexandria. A long line formed waiting for the already present SA to begin service.

I understand why the car closes during the Washington stop, no electricity for awhile, but once the power has been restored, why does the service not begin soon thereafter?

It is my observation after recent trips of the Crescent, Sunset Limited, and Southwest Chief that Amtrak looses potential sales when the Cafe/Lounge car closes at times when there appears to be decent demand. I know that the personnel need a break from time to time, but I think these could be more appropriately scheduled to maximize sales in the Cafe/Lounge car.
It is not only an opportunity for us to take a break from our up to 18 hour day, but in the case of the Crescent, WAS is the last commissary that we can restock food from if need be. (Which keep in mind, also cuts in to our break.)

As a side note, it generally has more to do with the conductors requiring us to stay shut down while they are lifting tickets, to make sure no one gets missed.

As a side note, it generally has more to do with the conductors requiring us to stay shut down while they are lifting tickets, to make sure no one gets missed.
That would seem to violate the "Open and Ready" requirement for food service in the Service Standards manual which states:
9. Hours of Service Café/Lounge Cars

a) Open and Ready

• The collection of tickets is not a reason to delay the opening of any Food Service Car.
  • Announcements that advise customers to wait until all tickets have been collected before visiting Food Service Cars are prohibited.

Oh my. A lot of conductors are violating that rule, especially on the Empire Service.

Good catch, PRR 60.

Now I know that I should report to Amtrak management every time I hear that rule violated...

That would seem to violate the "Open and Ready" requirement for food service in the Service Standards manual which states:
9. Hours of Service Café/Lounge Cars

a) Open and Ready

• The collection of tickets is not a reason to delay the opening of any Food Service Car.
  • Announcements that advise customers to wait until all tickets have been collected before visiting Food Service Cars are prohibited.
That's certainly correct. But I can have myself brought up on charges if I disobey a conductor, whether or not I feel what they say is right.

A true Catch 22 which Amtrak and the Union need to get settled so employees and paying customers aren't held captive by Control Freak Conductors that make up the rules on a whim!!

They should probably change that standard, though, provided ticket collection occurs in a reasonable period of time. It's hard to get a count when all doors are open and the gate dragons are inconsistent.

The way it's set up, the correct procedure seems to be to report the conductor (after the fact) for violating Amtrak's rules. Eventually with enough reports, the conductor can be fired for cause.

I have never been upset with the Lounge closing for major stops, especially if an announcement is made well in advance. The Conductors are busy enough chasing down strays and can use a few minutes of calm to get the tickets lifted. Else they may find more than one Roger Thornhill trying to hide out in the can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back