Waterloo, IN/Fort Wayne

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierStater

Service Attendant
I'm looking into taking the Cap Limited WB to Waterloo, IN. I'd need to get from there to Fort Wayne, IN. Does anyone know anything about cabs, shuttle buses, or any such thing to get into Fort Wayne?

Amtrak no longer provides an Ambus connection. Either arrange to be met, rent a car, or take a taxi...it's about 25 miles....

That depends....but it beats the alternative--having no nearby stop at all.......

True. But the timing on the stop isn't excellent, and unless you actually live in Waterloo (which is hardly a metropolis) you've got to work out the logistics of getting there: do you leave your car there? Can someone get you a ride? Yes, it's better than nothing. But it's not exactly high on the convenience scale.

We've left our car there for over a week, several times. We're doing it again this summer. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Now, for the OP arriving in Waterloo & needing to get to Fort Wayne, taxis might be available, but I wouldn't expect o find one at the train station. Here's a link to the taxis & bus service in the Fort Wayne area:

http://www.nircc.com/user/image/2012transportationresourceguidebrochure.pdf

True. But the timing on the stop isn't excellent, and unless you actually live in Waterloo (which is hardly a metropolis) you've got to work out the logistics of getting there: do you leave your car there? Can someone get you a ride? Yes, it's better than nothing. But it's not exactly high on the convenience scale.
The timing is poor because the trains are federal Long-Distance Trains, and the states won't support frequent service. And the old main line through Fort Wayne was downgraded and partially demolished. It's not that hard to break a rail line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I totally understand the reasons for the inconvenience. It doesn't mean it's convenient. :)

It is inconvenient, but we drive several hours to Waterloo because WTI has a more convenient than any of the stations in Ohio!
Sounds like TOL would be a better option for you.
Unfortunately, the schedules through Ohio are much worse than those in Indiana. The CL hits Toledo westbound at 5:00 am, and eastbound at 9:44 pm. The LSL is a little better westbound (6:15 am) but much worse eastbound (2:50 am).

By going to Waterloo instead, we at least have the option of the 7:33 am LSL westbound and the 9:44 pm CL eastbound. If you're driving for several hours to/from the station anyway, at least in Waterloo it's not in the middle of the night, like all of the Oho stops.

This situation is absolutely deplorable, embarrassing, and shameful. Would anyone like to get together with me and we'll start our own shuttle service? I'm afraid I'm going to have to abandon my car at this station permanently as I'm taking the train one way and flying back on my trip.

I'm completely disgusted with this city and state.

I'm completely disgusted with this city and state.
Why not pull up stakes and move to, say, Rapid City SD where the closest Amtrak station is about 280 miles away. Lots more to complain about from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's more fun diggin' up 26 month old threads.

There's plenty of "absolutely deplorable, embarrassing, and shameful" stuff to be "completely disgusted with" in any city or state on the planet.

Especially if you always see the 1/2 a glass of water as half empty, rather than half full.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to abandon my car at this station permanently as I'm taking the train one way and flying back on my trip.
Fly back to Chicago or Cleveland; take Amtrak from there to WTI and reclaim the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back