Weather Outlook?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
Hello,

I am scheduled to board the crescent tomorrow at Washington, to New Orleans. Right now, it looks like heavy rain and snow maybe 1-3 inches for NYC by tomorrow afternoon. Is heavy (1-2 inches) rain likely to cancel the crescent coming down the NEC? '

I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any recollection of NEC operations during heavy rain/snow storms. It seems a most of the NEC is elevated (relative to most freight lines) and somewhat partitioned from trees.

Thanks,

Jon P

Hello,
I am scheduled to board the crescent tomorrow at Washington, to New Orleans. Right now, it looks like heavy rain and snow maybe 1-3 inches for NYC by tomorrow afternoon. Is heavy (1-2 inches) rain likely to cancel the crescent coming down the NEC? '

I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any recollection of NEC operations during heavy rain/snow storms. It seems a most of the NEC is elevated (relative to most freight lines) and somewhat partitioned from trees.

Thanks,

Jon P
1-2" of rain is unlikely to shut down the NEC. 1-3" of snow is not considered to be heavy snow at least around New York. Of course folks down by Washington DC might think otherwise :lol:

Living, in Fairfax, VA we just got 28 inches a few weeks ago and it shut everything, and i mean EVERYTHING down! Just calling for 1-3 inches of snow maybe for VA right now. Of course, I have to use WMATA to get to Union Station, and that's a whole 'nuther story

Part of the problem of the last round of snow in northern VA was that it was heavy wet snow which lead to a lot of snapped and downed trees as I understand it in addition to frozen switches. At this point, most of that snow has melted (at least around the Alexandria station) so I doubt there are many trees left to fall on the line from a mere 1-3 inches of snow.

hey we are going to be on the same train except i be getting on in nyc. maybe i look for u. are u in the sleeper or coaches?

Living, in Fairfax, VA we just got 28 inches a few weeks ago and it shut everything, and i mean EVERYTHING down! Just calling for 1-3 inches of snow maybe for VA right now. Of course, I have to use WMATA to get to Union Station, and that's a whole 'nuther story

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be in the sleeping car! Boarding in Washington. Look for the 20 year old with his mom and aunt! :)

Jon P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back