Weekend Acela Schedules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is impossible to take an a day trip from New York to Boston on the Acela on a Sunday, February 20. I could ride up on the noon acela, but would only have three hours in Boston. Which is OK I guess. But I was appalled at how few Acelas run on the weekend.

I may get stuck riding the Amcans. Is the Business class upgrade worthwile between New York and Boston on the weekend? What is the seating configuration on these cars?

Thanks.

What really hurts is that I was hoping to get those reward points for an Acela trip. Ouch!!!

I agree, the Acela schedule is atrocious at best. I too was trying to plan a day trip to Boston from Philly, and it's just way too hard with the schedule as it is.

There used to be an earlier Acela on the weekends, but Amtrak eliminated it almost a year ago now. Supposedly it was due in part to low ridership and in part to all of the mechanical problems they were have with the trainsets.

Now I rode that early train at least 2 or 3 times, and while it wasn't sold out, it wasn't empty either. Perhaps as things stabalize, they'll bring that train back.

As for business class on a Regional, there is certainly a chance that you could find yourself in an ex-Metroliner Club car. Equally likely though that you could find yourself in a regular Amfleet BC car. Either way you'll get a free newspaper and a free non-alcholic drink. Nothing much beyond that though.

AlanB said:
There used to be an earlier Acela on the weekends, but Amtrak eliminated it almost a year ago now. Supposedly it was due in part to low ridership and in part to all of the mechanical problems they were have with the trainsets.
Now I rode that early train at least 2 or 3 times, and while it wasn't sold out, it wasn't empty either. Perhaps as things stabalize, they'll bring that train back.

As for business class on a Regional, there is certainly a chance that you could find yourself in an ex-Metroliner Club car. Equally likely though that you could find yourself in a regular Amfleet BC car. Either way you'll get a free newspaper and a free non-alcholic drink. Nothing much beyond that though.
The regular amfleet business car is simply an amfleet I coach, right? Or is it a car with leg rests and more leg room?

Thanks for the info. :D

I think I'm gonna ride the 12 pm train out of penn up to Boston, and then return on the train at 6:40 P.M. That ought to allow time for dinner at the Legal seafood restaurnt near Back Bay.

Steve4031 said:
The regular amfleet business car is simply an amfleet I coach, right? Or is it a car with leg rests and more leg room?
Thanks for the info. :D

I think I'm gonna ride the 12 pm train out of penn up to Boston, and then return on the train at 6:40 P.M. That ought to allow time for dinner at the Legal seafood restaurnt near Back Bay.
Ok, now I'm confused. :unsure: There is no 12:00 pm train out of Penn to Boston. There is a 12:03 Acela Express, but no regional. The closest regional is at 1:00 pm.

Now again it will depend what car they put on that 1:00 pm regional. You could end up with a typical Amfleet I business class car or you might get lucky and catch an ex-Metroliner Club car.

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
The regular amfleet business car is simply an amfleet I coach, right?   Or is it a car with leg rests and more leg room?  
Thanks for the info.   :D

I think I'm gonna ride the 12 pm train out of penn up to Boston, and then return on the train at 6:40 P.M.   That ought to allow time for dinner at the Legal seafood restaurnt near Back Bay.
Ok, now I'm confused. :unsure: There is no 12:00 pm train out of Penn to Boston. There is a 12:03 Acela Express, but no regional. The closest regional is at 1:00 pm.

Now again it will depend what car they put on that 1:00 pm regional. You could end up with a typical Amfleet I business class car or you might get lucky and catch an ex-Metroliner Club car.
My fault, I meant the 12:03 Acela. I was wondering about the 6:40 P.M train out of Boston. But as you stated, it is basically a crap shoot.

Sorry about the confusion. I just got lazy the information that I provided. I should be able to work it out from here.

Thanks. :D

There is actually a small but growing fleet of rebuilt split and full clubs selling as Regional Business class. They have plush, brown leather upholstering, new floor and wall coverings, they retain the club seat frame but have been restyled to reflect modern tastes. These cars have legs rests and 2-and-1 seating with ample spaciousness between the rows of seats. Well worth the extra charge if you had some way to know that you'd get one of 'em.

railman said:
There is actually a small but growing fleet of rebuilt split and full clubs selling as Regional Business class. They have plush, brown leather upholstering, new floor and wall coverings, they retain the club seat frame but have been restyled to reflect modern tastes. These cars have legs rests and 2-and-1 seating with ample spaciousness between the rows of seats. Well worth the extra charge if you had some way to know that you'd get one of 'em.
That would be nice to get one of those. I may upgrade just to have that chance.

They are also upgrading business class in the midwest too. But I do not have a firm grasp of the progress.

Back