Weird AGR posting date

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSP_Train_Hopper

Train Attendant
I took a trip at the beginning of April using the USA Rail Pass and the points didn't post (I never seem to have luck with pass points workIng). Called up AGR yesterday and saw that the points posted today. However, they have a posting date of 1/31/12! How did it get such an early date? Do you thInk it will screw up my promo points posting?

That happened to me and yes it will mess up your dates. When I called them to post missing points, they ended up posting them using the date when the reservation was made, which was the prior year. Of course that was a problem because those points didn't count toward my points for the year. I had to call back and get them to correct that. I would call and have it corrected. I have found AGR reps fairly careless with posting dates.

I called AGR this afternoon to get the posting date corrected and spoke with a nice agent who told me that for the USA Rail Pass, the points are based on the date of reservation.
mda.gif
I said that it seemed inconsistent and was put on hold while he checked with his supervisor. When he came back, he said that the supervisor confirmed that it is based on reservation date. I then shared that when I traveled using the rail pass last year the posting date was for the day of travel and that in the Double Points Terms & Conditions it says that bonus points are based on the travel date. It was also shared that when I called earlier this week to report that the points hadn't posted, the agent had confirmed that it would be an eligible trip. He relayed it to his supervisor again, but the answer was still that I was out of luck. Has anyone else heard this before? Would it be best to call AGR later on and speak to someone else or to go through customer service?

Thanks in advance!

If they had told you that it was the date you purchased your pass, that I would accept. Mind you of course, many times people make their reservations on the same date that they buy the pass. But the date of reservation seems pretty fishy to me. Especially since each reservation would technically be for zero dollars, since the pass was used to pay for the reservation. Not to mention that you could potentially make reservations on several different dates. So that really doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK just an update to share: I called back to AGR last week and tried a couple different agents, but all said that the posting date was correct and would not switch. When I explained that according to the double point promo terms it was based on travel not purchase, that their agent had previously confirmed that it was an eligible trip, and that when I traveled on the pass last year the points were awarded on the date of first travel they still wouldn't budge. I asked how the customer would find out about these unique posting rules and they said that the rules were written in an employee wiki, but there wasn't anything available to the general public. However they still wouldn't budge, so I asked to speak to a supervisor who said that the rules were the rules regardless of what is available to the public, how the terms are worded, or what a previous agent had confirmed. Anyway, long story short the supervisor said he couldn't do anything anyway and that he would have to check with his supervisor whom I couldn't talk directly to. In the end I got a call back today saying that they would award the points, but it would be a one shot deal - seems fair to me. The frontline agents (Jose, Craig & Cindy) were all great and professional; the supervisor... meh... So, just a heads up about the posting dates if you plan on using a USA rail pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back