Weird Crew Usage in Anaheim Last Nite

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumpled

Service Attendant
I did my regular Surfliner run to take in the Ducks-Wings hockey game last night (Ducks win! woot woot) and saw some different Amtrak crew usage. As I got off my train at ~6:10 pm, I noticed that a crewmember (are they assistant conductors?) was exiting just behind me with a backpack. I thought it was odd; but maybe his shift was over here?

After the game, I got back to the station about 10:20 pm and it was closed. I noticed this last week also - strange it was.

I headed up to the platform and the same crew guy I saw get off was taking tickets at the top of the ramp and handing out seat checks. I asked what was up and he said because both the Angels and Ducks were playing that night; they thought they'd have big crowds on the train and the crew scheduler set this up.

I talked to another crew member on the platform and she said she had done the same split shift thing but she had arrived in Anaheim even an hour earlier.

I think that's pretty messed up - they ended up with about a 3-4 hour break at Anaheim. Also, when we boarded it appeared to me that the train had about twice the crew of normal; every door was manned by a crewmember at boarding; normally I'd only see about 2 out of 5 or so.

As far as the passenger load; it was a good one - though not really large. I've gone on many other occasions where both teams were playing the same night and Amtrak has never done this before.

In my opinion it was totally unnecessary.

Don't know why the station was closed; on the other occasion it was closed there were no visible ramp crewmembers.

Just reporting on what I thought was odd.

All I can figure is plan for the worst, hope for the best. Question is if they were paid during their 4-hr down time. Probably not, which sorta stinks for the crew.

Nice of them to be proactive, in my mind. Makes for a happier crew. Were Metrolink riders also checked on the ramp?

There are many cases where, when there are large crowds traveling a short distance, conductors can't collect everyone's ticket, and some passengers get a free ride. Amtrak probably figured the potential extra revenue from collecting more tickets exceeded the extra cost of having more crewmembers.

Sounds like they were being pretty smart to me.

I've seen biger crowds when both teams were playing; but maybe they expected it to be worse.

Having the station itself closed at the same time also seems odd.

As for checking Metrolink riders - they didn't because it doesn't run that late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back