Weird TE schedule change for May...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fillyjonk

OBS Chief
I was booking tickets for a mid-May trip to visit my mom. Going up (May 11), all the same as before. But going back (May 27), the train leaves BNL at 2:16 - nearly 2 hours earlier than the previous schedules but does not get to MIN any earlier than normal.

Are they building in for congestion on the line? Or construction? Or is the train being re-routed on different track? There's nothing under "Service Advisories" though maybe it's early days yet. (My biggest hope would be "reroute during daylight hours so I get to see some different scenery" but I'm expecting it's a sillier and more annoying reason)

Yes. And I answered my own question by looking up the "find schedules" thing - 3 hour (!) layover in St. Louis? Boo. That's worse than "cool new scenery" because it'll be over the dinner hour for me (in a roomette) so the on/off power changes will probably make service slower because they won't be able to microwave their AmMeals for part of that time...

ETA: and boo, now I see it also arrives later in BNL. So I'm just stuck cooling my heels in St. Louis for a couple hours but I'm too anxious of a traveler to walk very far from trainside, would be afraid of being delayed coming back and missing getting back on

unless they decide to turf us all off the train because of "inspection" or there's no power for that whole time

Last edited:
Yes. And I answered my own question by looking up the "find schedules" thing - 3 hour (!) layover in St. Louis? Boo. That's worse than "cool new scenery" because it'll be over the dinner hour for me (in a roomette) so the on/off power changes will probably make service slower because they won't be able to microwave their AmMeals for part of that time...
It is a stop similar to the one on SWC at Albuquerque. How often do you lose power there while they carry out the 1500 mile inspection? There is no engine or consist change.

It is a stop similar to the one on SWC at Albuquerque. How often do you lose power there while they carry out the 1500 mile inspection? There is no engine or consist change.
I don't know because I've never taken that leg of the SWC. All I know is when we stop in St. Louis there are intermittent power outages while they add/cut cars and while they do some other service things, and the lengths of the outages seem to vary WIDELY from trip to trip - sometimes a minute or two, sometimes as much as 10-15

I don't know because I've never taken that leg of the SWC. All I know is when we stop in St. Louis there are intermittent power outages while they add/cut cars and while they do some other service things, and the lengths of the outages seem to vary WIDELY from trip to trip - sometimes a minute or two, sometimes as much as 10-15
So in that case even if things are as before you will still have those few power drops, but it will be over a longer period of time, so you will probably have power for a larger proportion of the stopped time.

The Silver Service trains stay at Washington DC for an extended period without power between when the arriving engine is detached and the departing engine attaches. There is a bit of food service but usually they work very nicely around it. This is specially true of the Silver Meteor for which this happens right in the middle of food service hours. More times than I can recall, I have sat in the Diner working on a juicy Flatiron Steak that was served just before the power went off. They had no problem continuing to serve drinks and dessert.

Frankly given the choice between a service that runs only three to five times a week and a daily service, for the cost of an additional length of stop at St Louis, at least I would opt for the daily service each time.

Last edited:
A few years ago aboard the northbound TE, at St Louis power was dropped because a STL>CHI coach was coupled to the rear of the train.

Frankly given the choice between a service that runs only three to five times a week and a daily service, for the cost of an additional length of stop at St Louis, at least I would opt for the daily service each time.

If we are going to get improved service as a result of a longer St. Louis stop, perhaps they could lengthen the St. Louis stop to 10 or 12 hours and restore the dining car and sightseer lounge car as part of the bargain. They are really making trains worth traveling again.

We just took the TE from Alton, IL to Tucson & back, and a coach was taken off going and added on our return (for the extra passengers on the line to Chicago). Just since then there were posts discussing the lengthened STL stop, saying the equipment is doubling as the CL between DC & Chicago, which lacks adequate inspection/repair staff so the STL inspection will alleviate. Strolling the STL platform can be nice, as it's long & new. We were at breakfast in the diner but unaffected by the power outage. If a coach passenger I'd bring plenty to read and even a compact umbrella for outdoors (anywhere) if needed.

Back