Well Placed Spotting Hotels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PVDtoGO

Train Attendant
Hi Folks:

While I have always been a rail fan (and aviation fan thus I bring my name from FlyerTalk and A.NET), circumstances this past year have really allowed me to get out and ride the rails. Since October 2009 I have been able to do the LSL (Bos to CHI)(Roomette), California Zephyr (EMY to DEN)(Bedroom A), and the Coast Starlight (LAX to PDX)(Bedroom E).

On Memorial Day I am doing Acela/Silver Star (BOS - NYP to TPA)(FC , Roomette), back via Silver Meteor/Acela (WPB to NYP - PVD)(Roomette, BC), then Labor Day doing Empire Builder/LSL/Empire Service (PDX - CHI - ALB - HUD)(Bedroom, Roomette, Coach).

I was fortunate when I did the Zephyr to stay at the Woodfin Suites, which provide some amazing views from the rear balcony of the traffic on that corridor. I had to be dragged off the balcony to go to dinner one afternoon! :lol: I was wondering if there were similar hotels offering good views of interesting corridor traffic. I vaguely recall someone mentioning a hotel somewhere in Maryland on the NEC. This would be cool because you get all the outbound NYC Silver Service, plus the locale commuters, Acela etc.

Is there a good hotel somewhere in the Chicago area? I would try that on my stop over from the EB this Labor Day. I think I may have been spoiled by the Woodfin Suites though...the balcony was awesome, the room was really nice, and there was a fridge. I was able to wave to my elderly parents on the day of departure as they left extra early to wait at the station - it is THAT close! Part of these adventures is spending fun time with them in a relaxed atmosphere while I still can. Thanks for any suggestions on the hotels.

Mark

PS: Thank you also to the poster who mentioned the VIA special to/from Halifax, that is a real deal. I only wish flights were a little cheaper/easier from Halifax. Now that the CAT is gone, it is less easy to get back from .NS

I have stayed at the hotel next to the Aurora, IL METRA station (last stop on the commuter line out from CHI). It is right next to the BNSF freight tracks. I can't remember off of the top of my head but it was either a Comfort Inn and Suites or Country Inn and Suites. No balconies, but the track side rooms all have a nice view of the tracks. It is also railroad themed, with many neat displays of memorabilia. Also right next door is Walter Payton's Roundhouse, an old Burlington RR roundhouse converted into a restaurant/bar/entertainment complex. I enjoyed my stay.

Thank you both!

I will be trying the NEC one very soon. I may have to wait for another trip for the Aurora location, as it may be too far out of CHI for the short time I am there, but will def give it a try.

One in Chicago the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza! Great place for a holiday inn. Great staff and great rooms. When your there go towards the banquet hall or meeting room. Great view of the Chicago River the west end of CHI and the Northwest station too! You can also view El trains going to/from the Midway airport.

One in Chicago the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza! Great place for a holiday inn. Great staff and great rooms. When your there go towards the banquet hall or meeting room. Great view of the Chicago River the west end of CHI and the Northwest station too! You can also view El trains going to/from the Midway airport.
I "chapheroned" a prom there. I did lots of train watching. Don't remember what the kids did. Been recommending it since. The hyatt at mckormick place would have views of cn and metra electric.

The hotel at the Aurora, IL METRA station is a Comfort Inn and Suites. I stayed there last summer before catching the Capitol Limited to Washington the following evening.

I'd also recommend the Henry Clay Inn in Ashland, VA. That's about 10 miles north of the Richmond, VA Staples Mill Road station.

Henry Clay Inn

It's a small hotel (only 14 rooms or so) built in the 1990's to replicate the old railroad hotel which used to sit nearby. The 'new' Henry Clay is right across the street from the Amtrak station and I would recommend the even numbered rooms on the second floor as they face the tracks. There is also a nice porch upstairs facing the railroad. Those liking evening strolls will find the campus of Randolph-Macon College a nice place to do that.

Only the Regional trains stop in Ashland but the Silver Star, Meteor, Carolinian, Palmetto, and Auto-Train as well as numerous CSX freights pass through each day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back