What are the most scenic Amtrak routes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I enjoyed my trips on the Downeaster I don’t remember them being particularly scenic. No more than my trips on the Piedmont for example.

Which goes to show all of the Amtrak routes are scenic in a way. I love the little southern towns and old depots of the Crescent and Piedmont routes for example.
While a good portion of the DE route is through typical New England forest, there are a couple of places where it goes near the water, particularly the marshy area in Scarborough just South of Portland. There are also a number of quaint New England towns it goes through such as the stops in New Hampshire, something you don't see from I-95. Personally I like the approach to Boston, the suburbs becoming more urban, then the run alongside the newly building Green Line extension. But that's just me :)

For me, the Canadian gets a bit monotonous across the Canadian Shield for more than a day. Sort of in a similar way that the Silvers get monotonous through the Pine forests. West of Edmonton it is quite nice.
Despite featuring some incredible highlights when viewed in totality The Canadian might be the most overrated route in North America. Conversely the Sunset Limited might be the most underrated of the Western routes.

Despite featuring some incredible highlights when viewed in totality The Canadian might be the most overrated route in North America. Conversely the Sunset Limited might be the most underrated of the Western routes.
Well, overrated is in the eye of the rater, I suppose. The Frazier River Canyon is a spectacle. When the weather cooperates, the Canadian Rockies are sublime. As for the mid-sections of both the US and Canada, the endless flat prairies are a wash, I think. The ice-blue lakes of Canada through much of the Canadian shield area are soothingly pretty. What I think pushes the Canadian over the top for me is the quality of the on-board experience--the staff seem uniformly customer-oriented, and while this is definitely true for some Amtrak employees, there are a non-negligible number of indifferent or even outright surly ones working for Amtrak. And, the food and wine are better on the Canadian than even the best traditional dining on Amtrak, to my taste. So, I will just have to agree to disagree on the Canadian being overrated.

But I do agree that the Sunset Limited is the most underrated of the Western routes--the Atchafalaya swamps, the ever-changing deserts of Texas, the little railroad ghost towns along the way, the approach to New Orleans via the Huey P Long Bridge--they are all highlights! Now, if they could figure out how to incorporate Arizona with some daylight, it would give the CZ a run for its money, scenery-wise.

I totally agree with both statements. I intentionally avoided the Sunset for years based on its reputation for both service and scenery. I was pleasantly surprised with both spectacular scenery and service when I finally got around to riding it!

I’m glad I rode the Canadian when I did before the cars were refurbished and the sleeper passengers were all but locked out of the park cars.

Last edited:
Well, overrated is in the eye of the rater, I suppose. The Frazier River Canyon is a spectacle. When the weather cooperates, the Canadian Rockies are sublime. As for the mid-sections of both the US and Canada, the endless flat prairies are a wash, I think. The ice-blue lakes of Canada through much of the Canadian shield area are soothingly pretty. What I think pushes the Canadian over the top for me is the quality of the on-board experience--the staff seem uniformly customer-oriented, and while this is definitely true for some Amtrak employees, there are a non-negligible number of indifferent or even outright surly ones working for Amtrak. And, the food and wine are better on the Canadian than even the best traditional dining on Amtrak, to my taste. So, I will just have to agree to disagree on the Canadian being overrated.
I think he was strictly speaking about scenery, not service

The Rocky Mountaineer between Vancouver and Banff is the most senic train in North America.
It's not an Amtrak route. (see the title of the thread). It doesn't even run in the same country as Amtrak (except for the new one in Colorado/Utah). It is designed to run only on scenic portions of a route. It's a TOURIST train, not a train transporting passengers for the purpose of getting them from city to city and town to town.

However, as to being the most scenic I would beg to differ as I think the Cumbres & Toltec and Durango-Silverton trains can hold their own with any of the other TOURIST trains. But your comment and my reply belong in a different forum.

However, as to being the most scenic I would beg to differ as I think the Cumbres & Toltec and Durango-Silverton trains can hold their own with any of the other TOURIST trains. But your comment and my reply belong in a different forum.

I was thinking the same things... Durango & Silverton is really hard to beat!

As for regularly scheduled passenger trains in North America? The Zephyr through the Rockies has my win but the Starlight has some views that are right up there with it... you just have to get the timing right. (Mt. Shasta at sunrise... Pacific Ocean at Sunset, etc.)

I kinda feel like all the votes for Canadian and Rocky Mountaineer are people who want to brag that they’ve been to Canada. I found the Canadian to be less scenic than the Zephyr personally. I compare it to the Empire Builder... portions of it are really nice but lots of it is just lots of fields and lakes and such. That’s relaxing and enjoyable, but not overly scenic.

Hey, the definition of "scenic" is strictly a matter of taste. It's possible that some people really, really like looking at slums, abandoned factories and polluted waterways, so for them, the Northeast Regional between Washington and New York would be the most scenic ride on the Amtrak system. :)

Incorrect. The definition of “scenic” is -

“providing or relating to views of impressive or beautiful natural scenery.”

I’m glad I rode the Canadian when I did before the cars were refurbished and the sleeper passengers were all but locked out of the park cars.
What happened with the Park cars that sleeper passengers are all but locked out of?

My wife and I took the Canadian back in 1984 just before we had our first child, sort of a last fling of freedom before having a family :) I have to say the scenery West of Calgary was spectacular especially the spiral tunnels from the Park dome. Of course this was the old route via Calgary and Banff, I haven't been on the current Canadian.

Personally I would pick the CZ and the SWC as my favorites for scenery even over the Canadian.

What happened with the Park cars that sleeper passengers are all but locked out of?

Those are 2 seperate complaints of mine.

1 - the park cars have been refurbished. Partly this was a safety issue as they no longer have the old style lounge chairs but built in couch / booth style seats. While I agree with the safety issue, it still takes away from the historic nature of the cars. I also feel they went with a bit too modern of a design, but that’s personal opinion.

2 - along with the rebuild the Canadian introduced a new luxury class. Access to the park car is sometimes restricted and even when it’s not they have positioned the cars so it is difficult for sleeper class passengers to access them.

In short, it’s a very different experience.

Incorrect. The definition of “scenic” is -

“providing or relating to views of impressive or beautiful natural scenery.”
Since some of scenic America is beginning to look like the backyards of the Northeast, I see no difference. Nothing more natural than watching someone on an old chair in their backyard while they are guzzling a Shlitz.

It's not an Amtrak route. (see the title of the thread). It doesn't even run in the same country as Amtrak (except for the new one in Colorado/Utah). It is designed to run only on scenic portions of a route. It's a TOURIST train, not a train transporting passengers for the purpose of getting them from city to city and town to town.

My reply, I was referring to the most senic routes in North America, Second It’s not your place to tell me when and where I can post a replyI Third I doubt very seriously if those routes you are referring to can come close to Vancouver-Banff Route, And by the way,Amtrak does run in Canada along with VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer
I think he was strictly speaking about scenery, not servi
senerery!
It's not an Amtrak route. (see the title of the thread). It doesn't even run in the same country as Amtrak (except for the new one in Colorado/Utah). It is designed to run only on scenic portions of a route. It's a TOURIST train, not a train transporting passengers for the purpose of getting them from city to city and town to town. I

I doubt very seriously if those routes you are referring to can come close to Vancouver-Banff Route

Durango-Silverton certainly does. You may personally prefer Vancouver to Banff but the Durango line, as well as the Zephyr's route through the Rockies, are at the top for me. White Pass & Yukon would be on that list as well. But since the OP asked about AMTRAK routes.. I will continue with saying the Zephyr for sure!

Here are a few views from my trips on the Zephyr.... makes me want to book a trip right now!

Attachments

• Kremmling-Colorado-Amtrak.jpg
    Kremmling-Colorado-Amtrak.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Kremmling-winter-amtrak.jpg
    Kremmling-winter-amtrak.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Verdi-Nevada-Amtrak.jpg
    Verdi-Nevada-Amtrak.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Ruby-Canyon-Amtrak.jpg
    Ruby-Canyon-Amtrak.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Granby-Colorado-Amtrak.jpg
    Granby-Colorado-Amtrak.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 6
I think it's kind of impressive. You can see more than just the rooftops of a bunch of buildings. If the weather is clear you can see a number of miles.
Oh, I agree. It's just that what you see is not "natural" scenery, as stated in the definition that I replied to. Also, the definition used the terms "impressive" and "beautiful," which are totally subjective. Our hypothetical fan of urban slums and abandoned factories could easily consider them "impressive," if not always in a positive way. And, as they say, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder," and not everybody thinks the mountainous areas of the Rockies are the be-all-end-all in "beauty." Personally, I have a thing for greener scenery than what's found in most of the West, where even the forested areas seem brown and dusty, except maybe in the springtime.

🎶 ... AMTRAK was made for you
and me ... 🎶

Here’s how I’d rate the trains I’ve been on:

SCENERY RATING
CZ. 10/10
SWC. 9/10
TE. 8/10 (w/SSL)
LSL. 7/10

Amtrak is sorely missing a passengerguide to what you are seeing out the window!!

The AU has been a yuuuge help in giving me information needed for a circumnavigate North America tour. Prolly 90% on Amtrak and 10% on ViaRail.(possibly the Mountaineer). As beautiful as Banff is it turned me off to watch a YouTuber mention a canoe cost $100 per hour on the lake there innBanff. ... a royal gouge!

I’ll be looking forward to the EB and West Coast Amtrak trains and the SSL to NOL. Then making my way up to the Cardinal and the LSL to Buffalo the Canada and east.

On my tight budget 1972 automobile trip across the USA - the one thing I missed doing was the Durango - Silverton RR. When I crossed over the Rockies on the Highway 160 pass it was unbelievable to see the teeny tiny little towns of Durango and SIlverton - way wa in the distance.

Eventually the down of Durango would be where I drove thru and saw billboards for the train. It was the start of my bucket list. .haha.

Last edited:
unbelievable to see the teeny tiny little towns of Durango and SIlverton - way wa in the distance.
I think whenever we see things from great distances we get a different sense of perspective. I think this inspires us.

I think it's also ok to say that there's "scenery" and there is also great scenery.

Those are 2 seperate complaints of mine.

1 - the park cars have been refurbished. Partly this was a safety issue as they no longer have the old style lounge chairs but built in couch / booth style seats. While I agree with the safety issue, it still takes away from the historic nature of the cars. I also feel they went with a bit too modern of a design, but that’s personal opinion.

2 - along with the rebuild the Canadian introduced a new luxury class. Access to the park car is sometimes restricted and even when it’s not they have positioned the cars so it is difficult for sleeper class passengers to access them.

In short, it’s a very different experience.
🤬

Amtrak is sorely missing a passengerguide to what you are seeing out the window!!

If you're good with maps and there's cellphone coverage or wifi (which is most of the time), you can use Google Maps or a topographic map app to see where you are and what's out the window. Google Maps lets you click on features and get more information about them. The only problem is that you can be seduced into spending more time with the app than looking out the window.

Back