What constitutes a qualifying referral?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterskigirl

Service Attendant
How much $$ spent or distance traveled does the new member have to spend for the referring AGR member to earn 500 bonus points? In other words, does it matter how little $$ spent or distance traveled is done by the new member?

I know about the requirement for the new member to travel within 90 days of joining in order for them to get 500 bonus points and for me to also earn 500 points. Any other pointers or, "in between the lines" rules I should know about?

AGR_referal bonus points.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, it is exactly as advertised. You refer a new member through AGR by providing the prospective member's e-mail address. If that person joins AGR and takes a paid Amtrak trip within 90 days of signing up, you get 500 AGR points for your referral. That paid trio can be as low priced as Amtrak sells. It still counts.

Yup. My friend paid $23 to go from Kalamazoo, MI to Chicago, and we both got our points a couple days later.

The only restrictions are:

1) You must make the referral from that page (that you posted),

2) The person referred MUST sign up via clicking the link in the email invitation that AGR sends them, and

3) They must travel on Amtrak on a paid and point earning trip within 90 days.

If all 3 of these are met, you also will get 500 AGR points for the referral! And the "spend amount" doesn't matter. They can spend $1,500 on a vacation or $5 on a "point run"! All that matters is that they earn points from Amtrak travel. :)

I set up an email account for my kid as well as an AGR account. I did the referral thing too. Our first trip was on the San Joaquin from Richmond to Emeryville to San Francisco. Did it with a AAA discount for the both of us. My kid's total fare was $4.50. Still got 200 AGR points each for the ride, and the 500 referral points posted quickly.

Back