What do you think about the new viewliner design?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you rather have next, new amfleets or superliners?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificStarlight

Train Attendant
Anyone here know what the new viewliner 2 cars are going to look like? Baggage, sleeper, etc. any diagrams or info. Or if not post a drawing of what you think, or what you want them to look like

Last edited by a moderator:
The Superliners are getting long on the tooth. Overall, the design and layout is pretty good and in a Superliner 3 build, would mostly just need to be updated to incorporate modern materials and technologies. It might be interesting to introduce a Parlor/Lounge to offer Business Class on both shorter hauls such as the Heartland Flyer or for those pax traveling short distances on Long Haul trains who want nicer accommodations without having to splash out for a Sleeper. Likewise, an upscale revenue producing PPC type Lounge for Sleeper pax.

The poll seems to give a false choice. It is unlikely that there will be any new Amfleet no matter how one votes. New single level cars will be based on the new single level standard which may very well look like the current Viewliners as far as the shell goes. They will be certainly taller than Amfleet cars and will have much larger windows. The Superliners 3s if and when they happen will probably resemble the California Cars in body shape more than the old Superliners. And lastly a thread with the word Viewliner in its title does not even mention Viewliners in the poll in it? :unsure:

So the reality is that mostly the new cars will be either marginally or substantially new design.

The poll seems to give a false choice. It is unlikely that there will be any new Amfleet no matter how one votes. New single level cars will be based on the new single level standard which may very well look like the current Viewliners as far as the shell goes. They will be certainly taller than Amfleet cars and will have much larger windows. The Superliners 3s if and when they happen will probably resemble the California Cars in body shape more than the old Superliners. And lastly a thread with the word Viewliner in its title does not even mention Viewliners in the poll in it? :unsure:

So the reality is that mostly the new cars will be either marginally or substantially new design.
The reason why the Viewliner is not in the poll is because we're already getting a new set of them.

As long as the Roomettes have the second window for the upper bunks, I'll be happy.

IMO (and it's just that--one person's opinion), the Roomettes have always been superior on Viewliners (more room, more comfortable, upper berth window, more storage space), but when it comes to Bedrooms, Superliners get the nod for better quality. I wonder if the new Viewliners will have an upgraded Bedroom design?

The reason why the Viewliner is not in the poll is because we're already getting a new set of them.
But what if Amtrak decides to replace the Amfleets with Viewliner coaches? That'd my personal choice if Joseph Boardman came down here and knocked on my door asking for my opinion :p

So my choice is Viewliners, and it's not in the poll.

But what if Amtrak decides to replace the Amfleets with Viewliner coaches? That'd my personal choice if Joseph Boardman came down here and knocked on my door asking for my opinion :p

Did the poll options get edited?

The choices really should be Amfleet II replacements, Amfleet I replacements, or Superliner replacements. Amtrak will not be ordering more Amfleets as such and the Superliner replacements, whether they are called Superliner IIIs or something else, will be based on the official bi-level specification.

The order for the 130 CAF Viewliners was announced in mid 2010 with the first car scheduled for delivery in October 2012. The combined state order for the 130 bi-level corridor cars is still in the bid process and the order is expected to be placed by August or so. That means the production line for the CAF Viewliner IIs is about 2 years ahead of whoever is going to build the bi-levels. What I got from the excerpts on Boardman's recent press conference is that there are no immediate plans to order Superliner replacements, instead Amtrak will rebuild the Superliners and keep them going.

After the order for the 40 Acela cars is placed and signed, odds are that the next order will be for Amfleet II replacements with CAF produced Viewliner II coach and cafe-diner cars. Delivery starting in FY15 after the 130 cars on order are completed. An order for 140-150 LD coach cars and 30-35 cafe-diner light-lounge cars would allow the eastern LD and medium distance daytime trains with Amfleet IIs to switch to all Viewliner consists. Whether the order gets placed this calendar year or not remains to be seen. Boardman and the board may decide to wait until after the November elections before placing any additional orders for LD rolling stock.

Is there any reason why your using the size 6 font?? You've used it on at least two occasions for silly reasons.

Jis has a good point. The title of the topic has to do with the Viewliner's, but the poll is about Amcans, SL's, and possible future cars. At the time nothing about Viewliner's was posted. Which since as magically appeared in the Poll..

Is there any reason why your using the size 6 font?? You've used it on at least two occasions for silly reasons.

Jis has a good point. The title of the topic has to do with the Viewliner's, but the poll is about Amcans, SL's, and possible future cars. At the time nothing about Viewliner's was posted. Which since as magically appeared in the Poll..
Very true. The pole has nothing to do with what we think of the new viewliner design.

The choices really should be Amfleet II replacements, Amfleet I replacements, or Superliner replacements. Amtrak will not be ordering more Amfleets as such and the Superliner replacements, whether they are called Superliner IIIs or something else, will be based on the official bi-level specification.
I agree. And frankly in a thread titled "what do you think of the new viewliner design" I was initially expecting a poll that would have choices like "Definite Improvement", "No Change", "Change in the wrong direction" or some such. So I was a little confused to see Superliners and Amfleets. And then apparently my post upset the OP, which reaction I also did not understand. C'est la vie.

I agree. And frankly in a thread titled "what do you think of the new viewliner design" I was initially expecting a poll that would have choices like "Definite Improvement", "No Change", "Change in the wrong direction" or some such. So I was a little confused to see Superliners and Amfleets. And then apparently my post upset the OP, which reaction I also did not understand. C'est la vie.
Instead of making two separate threads, the main topic is, if you haven't noticed, what do you think of the new viewliner design, or what would you like to see in it. I added in the pole as an extra last second. Since someone commented on why aren't viewliners' in the pole, I added that option. People on NWhikers fourm don't nit-pick this much. maybe its just a back country state of mind. And about the pole, it wasn't supposed to be about what you think of the viewliners, it was about what you would like to see next as a side topic. On a last note about "it should be ..... replacements" most likely, the design will stay the same, because the designs work for them. And no, i was not upset or mad, i didn't know that we couldn't use font bigger than 2. Amen

Instead of making two separate threads, the main topic is, if you haven't noticed, what do you think of the new viewliner design, or what would you like to see in it. I added in the pole as an extra last second. Since someone commented on why aren't viewliners' in the pole, I added that option. People on NWhikers fourm don't nit-pick this much. maybe its just a back country state of mind. And about the pole, it wasn't supposed to be about what you think of the viewliners, it was about what you would like to see next as a side topic. On a last note about "it should be ..... replacements" most likely, the design will stay the same, because the designs work for them. And no, i was not upset or mad, i didn't know that we couldn't use font bigger than 2. Amen
I'm just curious on how we're nitpickers... But comparing us to Hikers???

The poll should be related to the topic. Just keep in mind your in the training mode and your post count is low, your a new member. Some of us have been here like Jis since the Beginning or close to the Beginning. Just learn things on the forum right now. There's plenty of things to learn on here. Jis is one guy to learn from! Very Smart guy! We all have our knowledge. But if your going to be on here typing in Size 6 font over silly little things, Please take your frustrations somewhere else. AU isn't a fighting forum. Yes we have disagreements on things. We're not being nitpickers we're just trying to figure things out. That's all I'm going to say.

I'm going to be a nit-picker, unlike those sensible Northwest hikers we love. Poll is spelled like i just indicated :D

Anyone here know what the new viewliner 2 cars are going to look like? Baggage, sleeper, etc. any diagrams or info. Or if not post a drawing of what you think, or what you want them to look like
They'll look like Viewliner I's, only newer. :D

In the sleeper the big change is the loss of the in-room toilet for the roomettes. Because of that, what is currently the Attendant's room in the current cars (opposite the shower) becomes two public toilets. And the attendant will take over what is room #12 in the current drawings that can be found around the net for the Viewliner I's. This reduces the number of revenue rooms by 1 in the new cars.

The diner, I've already posted pictures on here and there are plenty of other pictures floating around the net too. Basically it looks a lot like the current single level diners in the overall layout, but it has two rows of windows just like the sleepers do. They also have emergency doors in the middle of the car now. And another big plus is that the last table at the end of the car has fold up seats on the wall. This allows them to accommodate a wheelchair passenger in the first adjacent sleeper. They'll be able to roll right out of their room, across the threshold and right up to the table. Unfortunately it won't help anyone in the second or third sleeper.

The new baggage cars are of two types: The first is a full bag with shelving modules to hold luggage, 15 I believe, and one module that will hold unboxed bikes. The second type is a combo baggage/dorm car that will predominately be used only on the single level trains. This car will have 9 roomettes for the crew, which gets them out of the revenue rooms that they currently occupy on the single level trains. It will also have a shower and two bathroom units. This takes up slightly more than half the car. The rest of the car is given over to 8 shelving units for luggage and of course includes loading doors. Not sure if these cars will have 1 of the shelving units removed in favor of a bike rack unit.

Alan, why does the attendant still need a room, why can they not use a spot in the bag-dorm?
I would imagine it's due to the fact that if a Passenger wants quick turn down or Make Up service, needs to be awaken in the night for their stop, or anything the Passenger needs the SCA is their in car.
I suppose, I just was thinking that an extra thirty second walk one or two sleepers down (if they decide to keep the sleepers at the front) is not worth sacrificing all of that revenue space. This would work on the Boston sleeper for the LSL, and if both of the baggages on the the LSL were bag-dorms, then it would work for the NYP sleepers too.

I suppose, I just was thinking that an extra thirty second walk one or two sleepers down (if they decide to keep the sleepers at the front) is not worth sacrificing all of that revenue space. This would work on the Boston sleeper for the LSL, and if both of the baggages on the the LSL were bag-dorms, then it would work for the NYP sleepers too.
They would have to design the communication system so the call attendent button would go to the attendent room in the baggage-dorm, possibly up to 3-4 cars away (if they go a 4 sleeper configuration). Not having the attendent in the car could mean there would be no SCA in the car if a problem arises - medical, noisy fight in the sleeper rooms to hear the noise or immediately respond.

They would have to design the communication system so the call attendent button would go to the attendent room in the baggage-dorm, possibly up to 3-4 cars away (if they go a 4 sleeper configuration). Not having the attendent in the car could mean there would be no SCA in the car if a problem arises - medical, noisy fight in the sleeper rooms to hear the noise or immediately respond.
That sounds like it would cost some extra dough.. and a good hunk of it too.. While MU and COMM cables would handle the communications between cars. The development would cost a good hunk.

Alan, why does the attendant still need a room, why can they not use a spot in the bag-dorm?
Amtrak wants the attendant in the car that they are responsible for. Even in the coaches, a seat is blocked off for the attendant to sit down and rest from time to time. Yes, some rest more than others, but still they block off a seat. If there is no attendant's room, then they have no place to rest and have to keep running back to the dorm car anytime they have a few minutes to take a break. And if they're in the dorm, then it's too easy for them to hide all day long from the pax if they're a bad attendant. It's a bit harder to hide in their room in the sleeper, as people can at least bang on the door.

That sounds like it would cost some extra dough.. and a good hunk of it too.. While MU and COMM cables would handle the communications between cars. The development would cost a good hunk.
If anything the communications system should go wireless anyway. That would also make it possible to reach the SCA when he/she's not in his/her room. And would probably be cheaper to install too...

They are not being nitpickers. I was on the internet as it was being formed. Large, bold font indicate shouting right from the beginning (once we able to change font!). That is why you should be more careful.

Well I had to chuckle at some of the comments on the SCA being in the Viewliner Sleeper:

● And if they're in the dorm, then it's too easy for them to hide all day long from the pax if they're a bad attendant.● Not having the attendent [sic]in the car could mean there would be no SCA in the car if a problem arises - medical, noisy fight in the sleeper rooms to hear the noise or immediately respond.

● if a Passenger wants quick turn down or Make Up service, needs to be awaken in the night for their stop, or anything the Passenger needs the SCA is their in car.
Chuckling because it was in two Viewliners (LSL and Silver Star) that I named my SCAs "Jimmy Hoffa" and "Amelia Earhart." These non-"attendants" disappeared faster than a David Blaine.

Removing Room 12 from revenue service is unfortunate. The comm notification between the Sleeper and the BagDorm has merit. There are trips the SCA could occupy a Sleeper roomette when available. On heavy trips (sold-out) move the SCA to sleep in the BagDorm. Often during daylight SCA can find a non-occupied room to camp in.

Re: comms, there are apps like restaurants use that could notify SCA attention is needed, or even the old-school light-up discs most (some still do) restaurants use to alert when table is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back