What does 90% full translate to on TE-SSL?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iliketrains

Lead Service Attendant
I need to travel on the TE-SSL to LA and there are no rooms on the dates I need. Not only that, the coaches are 90% full. So this means no window seat for me, especially since I'm boarding north of SA? Also, does 90% full mean the train is full all the way from SA to LA? Hopefully, all the passengers are nice fun-loving people.

So this means no window seat for me, especially since I'm boarding north of SA?
Since 50% of seats have windows you still have decent odds and if you end up with an aisle seat you can spend some of the Sunset Limited part of your trip in the Sightseer Lounge car instead.

Also, does 90% full mean the train is full all the way from SA to LA?
While possible I would expect some parts of the trip to be less busy than others. If you get stuck with an aisle seat at first you may be able to move over later. Keep an eye on sleeper compartments before departure just in case someone cancels or misses the train.

Also, be aware that here on the forum "SSL" is typically read as Sightseer Lounge while "SL" is short for Sunset Limited. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
I need to travel on the TE-SSL to LA and there are no rooms on the dates I need. Not only that, the coaches are 90% full. So this means no window seat for me, especially since I'm boarding north of SA? Also, does 90% full mean the train is full all the way from SA to LA? Hopefully, all the passengers are nice fun-loving people.
Since the Texas Eagle #421 Cars are cut out in San Antonio and hooked onto the end of the Sunset Ltd #1 to LA, you might check to see if there are more Coach seats or Rooms on #1, and if so " Modify" your Rez from SA to LA, it sometimes is even cheaper because you have to get off @ the SA Station and change cars!

Since 50% of seats have windows you still have decent odds and if you end up with an aisle seat you can spend some of the Sunset Limited part of your trip in the Sightseer Lounge car instead.

While possible I would expect some parts of the trip to be less busy than others. If you get stuck with an aisle seat at first you may be able to move over later. Keep an eye on sleeper compartments before departure just in case someone cancels or misses the train.

Also, be aware that here on the forum "SSL" is typically read as Sightseer Lounge while "SL" is short for Sunset Limited. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the info!

Since the Texas Eagle #421 Cars are cut out in San Antonio and hooked onto the end of the Sunset Ltd #1 to LA, you might check to see if there are more Coach seats or Rooms on #1, and if so " Modify" your Rez from SA to LA, it sometimes is even cheaper because you have to get off @ the SA Station and change cars!

The best way to check this is on the Amtrak reservation website?

It means that, at some point during the trip, the train is 90% full.

If you are interested in how full it will be when you board, pull up a reservation for your originating station to the next station on the line and look at how full it shows the train. In your case, look for San Antonio to Del Rio.

We were on a “sold out” SWC 12/20 FUL/GBB I had been checking loads about 2 weeks out it started to show sold out. I was amazed once onboard the first 2 days the trains 2 coaches were only half full. Sleepers a bit more. Diner was dead, a couple meals my family was only one in there. Yes some people ate in rooms, but still it was dead employees, just sat around. 1:15pm lunch diner to ourselves on a sold out train 4 days prior to Christmas. Talking to a talkative conductor on day 2 he said the “light sold out“ trains started when they removed the 4 cars from the consist, (2 coaches, 1 sleeper and bag car). The bag car only makes a difference in spotting stops at stations. But running such a small train requires them to hold back bookings for corridor passengers on both ends KC-CHI corridor and lessor extent ABQ-LAX. Not having a cut out car KC-CHI really is affecting ridership apparently. Just like he said on the morning of 12/22 in KC a boatload of people got on in both coaches and sleepers.

Im pretty sure the TE still has the STL-CHI coach but shares similar issues to the SWC. The system is really being set up to fail in my opinion.

It means that, at some point during the trip, the train is 90% full.

If you are interested in how full it will be when you board, pull up a reservation for your originating station to the next station on the line and look at how full it shows the train. In your case, look for San Antonio to Del Rio.

Fantastic suggestion!!! Thank you for this information.

We were on a “sold out” SWC 12/20 FUL/GBB I had been checking loads about 2 weeks out it started to show sold out. I was amazed once onboard the first 2 days the trains 2 coaches were only half full. Sleepers a bit more. Diner was dead, a couple meals my family was only one in there. Yes some people ate in rooms, but still it was dead employees, just sat around. 1:15pm lunch diner to ourselves on a sold out train 4 days prior to Christmas. Talking to a talkative conductor on day 2 he said the “light sold out“ trains started when they removed the 4 cars from the consist, (2 coaches, 1 sleeper and bag car). The bag car only makes a difference in spotting stops at stations. But running such a small train requires them to hold back bookings for corridor passengers on both ends KC-CHI corridor and lessor extent ABQ-LAX. Not having a cut out car KC-CHI really is affecting ridership apparently. Just like he said on the morning of 12/22 in KC a boatload of people got on in both coaches and sleepers.

Im pretty sure the TE still has the STL-CHI coach but shares similar issues to the SWC. The system is really being set up to fail in my opinion.

This is interesting. I was wondering if the train is actually 90% full.

Back