what happened tp the Empire builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do they do with passengers if a train sits in a station for 16 hours? ... Did Amtrak at least let passengers go into the station?
Even if they did let the passengers go into the station, what would you chose of these 2 choices:

1. Walk from the train down the platform into the PACKED station in -30º weather, or
  2. Stay aboard the train where it is 68-70º!
I myself would chose #2! :rolleyes:
unless number 2 means starving to death due to no food and water no HEP and rude as hell crews who think its your fault the train is stranded etc. i would go with number 1 take a cab to either greyhound or a hotel and if i got arrested for jumping ship well at least in jail i get fed.

What do they do with passengers if a train sits in a station for 16 hours? ... Did Amtrak at least let passengers go into the station?
Even if they did let the passengers go into the station, what would you chose of these 2 choices:

1. Walk from the train down the platform into the PACKED station in -30º weather, or
  2. Stay aboard the train where it is 68-70º!
I myself would chose #2! :rolleyes:
unless number 2 means starving to death due to no food and water no HEP and rude as hell crews who think its your fault the train is stranded etc. i would go with number 1 take a cab to either greyhound or a hotel and if i got arrested for jumping ship well at least in jail i get fed.
No Greyhound service in Minot.

And Amtrak has never let a passenger starve to death. Beside, if things got that bad that they couldn't get food to the train, they wouldn't be getting food to the jail either. At least if you're still on Amtrak, you can walk away when the ordeal is over. In jail, you're still there with or without food.

if the train was 17 hours late into chicago, did amtrak had bring in representatives from chicago to work with passengers with missed connections?
The train won't arrive until (current estimate) about 9:18 tomorrow morning.

In the many years of travelling I have never met a crew who thought it was the passengers fault they were stuck. I have met many, some less patient then perhaps they should be, who were pissed off at too many passengers thinking it was the crews fault the train was stuck.

Looks like its outa Fargo at 19:36 hours late. Well if it makes it to Chicago in the morning, Amtrak won't have to put anyone in hotels. :) When I lived in North Dakota and it was 30 below there would often be slow orders. Just like extreme heat that may cause rails to kink, -30 can cause brittle rails. It looks like #8 for the following day (today the 2nd) has reached Minot on time. It may just catch up to the 19 hour late train. I'd love to see a combined consist!

Imagine this scenario. You just finished dinner as you were sitting at Minot. Your room is made-up, and you turn in for the night. You sleep soundly on what you assume is the smoothest rail in the country. You wake up, peak out the window, and what do you see? Minot. Now, that would be funny.
Even funnier is to think that you can do just about the same thing in San Antonio on the Texas Eagle when there is not a delay.

I actually thought about taking advantage of this freak occurance to ride #8 to CHI and take #7 back. Still could but probably won't and will opt to watch football instead.

Does anyone have an opinion on how #7 will be handled? If #8 gets into CHI at around 9:00 AM, they will have less than 6 hours to turn the train around to leave as #7 at 2:15.

Last year, I took the Amtrak bus to CHI after #8 was running late, but not this late. The next day, #7 didn't leave CHI until nearly 7:30 PM.

I wonder when #7 will leave CHI 1/3? Maybe Amtrak has another train lined up that is already to go, but I wouldn't count on it.

Any opinions?

I actually thought about taking advantage of this freak occurance to ride #8 to CHI and take #7 back. Still could but probably won't and will opt to watch football instead.
Does anyone have an opinion on how #7 will be handled? If #8 gets into CHI at around 9:00 AM, they will have less than 6 hours to turn the train around to leave as #7 at 2:15.

Last year, I took the Amtrak bus to CHI after #8 was running late, but not this late. The next day, #7 didn't leave CHI until nearly 7:30 PM.

I wonder when #7 will leave CHI 1/3? Maybe Amtrak has another train lined up that is already to go, but I wouldn't count on it.

Any opinions?
The SEA yard crew turns around the train 7 consist around in about 6 hours, so 7 wouldn't have to leave CHI too late on 1/3, if late at all, if 8 doesn't lose anymore time.

If 8 does lose more time, because 7 originates in CHI (which, as we all know, is Amtrak's biggest long distance train hub) I think Amtrak could probably patch together a train using standby equipment in the CHI Yards, assuming they need 1 baggage car, 1 trans-dorm, 3 sleepers, 1 diner, 1 lounge, and 5 coaches for 7/27/807. Perhaps substituting a CCC for the diner and/or lounge if necessary, or a standard sleeper for the trans-dorm if a trans-dorm isn't available.

How did this get resolved then? Locos repaired? Freight locos to the rescue? More P42s galloping over the hill to save the day?

Do you only deal in extremes? How many people have starved to death on a train in the US or elsewhere for that matter? And I mean died from lack of food, rather than being away from the nearest drive thru for more than a hour or so?

18 hours late is a pain, but you ain't going to die so stop gibbering.

Reported to be a problem with the power. The P42 fleet is not behaving well in cold weather this year.
The train, which arrived last night (1/1) at about 11pm, is still in Minot as this is written. Ouch.
Shown as departing Minot 17 hours and 48 minutes late. The sooner you lot let the Swiss run your railways the better!
Switzerland is so different from North Dakota it might as well be on another planet. Come to think of it, isn't North Dakota bigger in area than Switzerland? I would be very interested to see how they performed after playing for a year with the same deck that has been handed to BNSF and Amtrak. I have a sneaky feeling that it would be unlikley to be better, and could well be much worse, given the distances, available resources, and climate.
It was a joke, no need for your usual anti European tirade!

Reported to be a problem with the power. The P42 fleet is not behaving well in cold weather this year.
The train, which arrived last night (1/1) at about 11pm, is still in Minot as this is written. Ouch.
Shown as departing Minot 17 hours and 48 minutes late. The sooner you lot let the Swiss run your railways the better!

She's now 20 hours and 59 minutes late! Ouch!!! I hope the passengers and crew were at least warm and had a bit of food?

Maybe some Amtrak/BNSF people got hold of a 4 bye 4 pick-up and made a run to Mickey Dee's drive through!? :rolleyes:

Which reminds me what happened to my brother one Christmas!

My brother was coming back from Gaspe, Quebec years ago on the train and was almost 2 and half days late (60 hours late) getting into Montreal.

They had numerous mechanical troubles and crews were being outlawed. The Gaspe run is only 654 miles long!!!

They ran into a freight train derailment in the Matepedia valley with the Ocean stuck ahead of them and snow storm after snow storm hitting them!!!

My brother and some of the pssengers were able to walk to the corner store they were near and get some "junk" food and cases of beer! They sat there for over 24 hours and the store was eventually sold out of everything! Needless to say there was one Happy/RICH store owner. ;)

Don't be so judgemental of Amtrak...They try/do there best with what the Government gives them to work with...

The SEA yard crew turns around the train 7 consist around in about 6 hours, so 7 wouldn't have to leave CHI too late on 1/3, if late at all, if 8 doesn't lose anymore time.
If 8 does lose more time, because 7 originates in CHI (which, as we all know, is Amtrak's biggest long distance train hub) I think Amtrak could probably patch together a train using standby equipment in the CHI Yards, assuming they need 1 baggage car, 1 trans-dorm, 3 sleepers, 1 diner, 1 lounge, and 5 coaches for 7/27/807. Perhaps substituting a CCC for the diner and/or lounge if necessary, or a standard sleeper for the trans-dorm if a trans-dorm isn't available.
I see that the following #8 (1) is now listed as a Service Disruption despite departing St. Cloud, MN only 2 1/2 hours late. My guess is that they will be turning this train in MSP to become today's #7 and busing passengers to/from Chicago. A major pain given the number of people riding MSP-CHI, but perhaps easier than canceling today's #7 entirely.

If this is indeed what is happening, it will give the folks in Chicago a day to clean the day-late train and also to fix whatever may have failed in the frigid temperatures.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that the following #8 (1) is now listed as a Service Disruption despite departing St. Cloud, MN only 2 1/2 hours late. My guess is that they will be turning this train in MSP to become today's #7 and busing passengers to/from Chicago. A major pain given the number of people riding MSP-CHI, but perhaps easier than canceling today's #7 entirely.
If this is indeed what is happening, it will give the folks in Chicago a day to clean the day-late train and also to fix whatever may have failed in the frigid temperatures.

Mark
Looks like you're right. Looks like yesterdays #8 is just about to arrive into Chicago 21 hours late! I guess thats not enough time to turn it so they'll just end the next #8 in MSP and turn it around for tonight's departure at 11 PM. Guess that sucks for the people departing Chicago today.

and here i thought the time i got stuck on a siding in minot for 4 hours was bad! (some mechanical problem delayed the train our replacement crew was to have come from, meaning they still needed 4 hours of rest before working our train.) for the record, we were pretty steamed that we had to stay on board the whole time (i shall never forget the sign we stared at the whole time, decrying the "champagne government" of minot), when we might have enjoyed a walk around town. it was summer, though.

(on our return trip, we spent 8 hours in the high school gymnasium of portage, wisconsin, thanks to a bomb threat from the sociopath we'd shared a table with in the diner the previous night.)

I was supposed to be on train 27 out of Chicago tomorrow afternoon, but got an automated call this afternoon saying that the train was cancelled due to weather. No alternate transportation provided.

Unfortunately, finding a flight on short notice is often more expensive than a sleeper on Amtrak. Grr....

(i shall never forget the sign we stared at the whole time, decrying the "champagne government" of minot)
It so pains me that your strongest memory of my home town is Earl Allen's darn sign. There are a lot nicer parts of Minot to see in the summer. The sign is practically historical, though, since I can remember seeing it looking exactly the same in the 1960s.

I was supposed to be on train 27 out of Chicago tomorrow afternoon, but got an automated call this afternoon saying that the train was cancelled due to weather. No alternate transportation provided.
Unfortunately, finding a flight on short notice is often more expensive than a sleeper on Amtrak. Grr....
So they're canceling TOMORROW's #7? I see that today's #7 departed only 1:26 late from Chicago, implying either a three-hour turnaround for the late train or a cobbled-together consist running as far as MSP. The #8 that would become tomorrow's #7 seems to have been annulled at MSP.

Does anyone know exactly what is scheduled in terms of consist routing and canceled trains? Inquiring minds (and would-be passengers) want to know...

I have three train “Stoppages” One was a foreseen stop for track work at Grand Junction CO this fall. We got off walked around town a bit and took a shower on a still train.

On the way back the CZ 10/09 was re routed through Wyoming due to a derail in Glenwood CO. There is nothing to do in Green river Wyoming but no one held us on the train.

12/09 We had a dead crew at La Junta CO on the SWC about a 90min stoppage we had just finished supper the GPS showed a stop and rob about 3/10th mile from the train. I was out of Private Stock. I thought I might restock. I got off the train looked down main drag and saw the store and though better of it. Just too dam cold not worth it. But no Amtrak staff tried to stop me. Just the usual the next train will be by in about 24hr don't go to far by the conductor.

I had a ticket to board the 8 train today in St. Paul -- after it arrived in 2 hours late, we sat around for another 1.5 hrs and they finally called to let us know that it was canceled due to electrical problems. No power to the passenger cars. I guess they were going to bring in buses for everyone, but I bugged out before then and will try again tomorrow morning.

Reportedly, the entire westbound run of the January 4 departure from Chicago has been cancelled, as has the entire eastbound run departing a couple days later ...

Finding a bit more detail from the Empire Builder list at Yahoo: the January 4 westbound run and January 6 eastbound run are completely annulled, with no alternate transportation. They're using the time to try to gather an adequate car supply together, following issues with two Empire Builder trainsets, and problems with the CZ equipment rotation.

Presumably the CZ problem is that dining car fire in California that's been reported elsewhere.

Finding a bit more detail from the Empire Builder list at Yahoo: the January 4 westbound run and January 6 eastbound run are completely annulled, with no alternate transportation. They're using the time to try to gather an adequate car supply together, following issues with two Empire Builder trainsets, and problems with the CZ equipment rotation.
Interesting! I bet my 8 tomorrow will be pulling the trainsets from today's 8 back to Chicago...

Tains 8/28 and 7/27 departing Jan 4th are annulled. It's also,at this time, likely that the departures on the 5th may be annulled as well.

Well ~ After reading through this thread and learning of the extended delays on the Empire Builder, I am certainly glad (and fortunate!) that my husband and I were on the west bound train that left Chicago on Wednesday, December 30th!! :eek:

We actually arrived into Seattle about 1/2 hour ahead of schedule on January 1st. From what I could tell, we were pretty much on schedule for the entire trip inspite of some pretty cold temperatures ~ it was 1F in Minot during daytime hours ~ with periodically heavy snow and gusty winds along the route.

All in all we had a grand time and would like to do the trip again during the summertime when daylight hours are extended, so we can enjoy more of the scenery along the way. It was totally dark by 5pm and the sun (when we saw it) didn't fully rise until after 8am! We missed the spectacular scenery of Glacier National Park altogether.... :unsure: I must say that the full moon we had enroute shining down on the freshly fallen snow was truly beautiful.

So as not to start another thread about our "adventures" on our trip ~ we did have some good experiences, as well as some negative ones.

Bad:

1. As we went down the platform looking for our sleeping car, we showed our tickets to the first sleeping car attendent whom we came upon and he told us we were in his car and to go up to Bedroom B there. Once we got our coats in the closet and our bags tucked away, we decided to take a brief stroll towards the dining car. When we came back, there was ANOTHER person in our bedroom! Hmmmmm... <_< I got off the train with our tickets and asked another sleeping car attendent I found if we were supposed to be in the car we were told to get into. Nope! Turns out that we were in the PORTLAND section of the train and we were going to Seattle! At this point, we had to gather up all our belongings, get our bags out of the downstairs storage area, and make a mad dash to the correct car! :angry: You would "ASSUME" that the sleeping car attendents would know the number of the car that they're assigned to! ;) They're supposed to helping us!!! AND ~ I assumed (wrongly, obviously!) that employees would be providing correct information.

2. We were not notified by our sleeping car attendent or our server on our final evening meal that there would be NO breakfast service after 7am on our final morning leg into Seattle. When I asked the sleeping car attendent about why we weren't told of this, he replied that an announcement had been made sometime after he turned our beds down (and we had retired for the night). :angry: He also told us that the crew isn't allowed to make public announcements before 7am....BUT they didn't seem to have any problems with walking through the sleeping car using walkie-talkies! We had been awake for quite awhile before 7am, but had refrained from showering early out of courtesy to our next door neighbors. When we showed up in the dining car at about 7:10am ~ where there were still quite a few diners ~ we were told that we could have yogurt and a muffin, but all the other food gad been "thrown away." I told the lead dining car attendent, Gina, that my husband is a diabetic and both those items are sugar based. They finally scrounged up a couple of oranges, a couple of biscuits (still not good for carbs) and some milk. I got the impression that we were causing an unwelcome "problem" for them by not accepting the yogurt and muffins. Neither of us drink coffee either ~ which was offered ~ due to heart palpitation issues. Our "breakfast snack" tided us over until we got to Seattle, but my husband who is 6'4" and has a good appetite was NOT a happy camper..... he was all set for eggs and sausage, which would have been far better for him than the carbs in the biscuit and orange. I WILL be writing a letter to Amtrak complaining about this situation. The servers should notify EACH TABLE seating at the evening meal on the night before the train splits in Spokane, that they MUST be in the dining car before 7am to be served breakfast on the last day out. Seems like a VERY simple thing to do, but it wasn't.

3. Both my husband and I thought that the quality of the food was not as good as we had on our recent trip on the California Zehphr in late September ~ although the menus were almost identical. The "cooked to order" steak was pretty good, although I thought that the "flat iron steak" (pot roast style actually) that we had on the Zephyr was just as tasty. The "angus steak burgers" weren't nearly as tasty and the breakfasts were just sort of "blah" on the Empire Builder.

4. One of the servers made several very public comments about how he had a TERRIBLE COLD, which made us feel rather uncomfortable that he was serving us! He also made a comment that due to the dish washer not showing up for the run, we had to be served on plastic for all the meals on the entire trip.

Good:

1. We REALLY enjoyed the wine and cheese tasting that was held the second day out. We never were treated to any special events during our trip on the California Zephyr.

2. We liked the complementary splits of champagne that were provided as we left Chicago! :cool: We didn't get this on the Zephyr either.....

QUESTION??? Why don't long hauls ~ 2 days or more ~ have identical perks for sleeping car passengers??

3. The temperatures on the train were quite comfortable in spite of the very cold weather we encountered along the route.

Back