What happens when there is no cafe on an LD?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also heard, but stress that it is not confirmed, that the biggest losses occur in the short haul cafe cars. That would seem to suggest that dining cars are not the biggest losers. One thing that would seem to back that idea is the fact that cafe service on Empire corridor trains running only between NY and Albany was cut a few years ago, along with the comissary in ALB. That could be coupled with the fact that the Keystones don't offer cafe service either.
It makes sense. People don't get as hungry when they are on shorter trip. They should just install vending machines and do away with the counter service on those short hauls.

No! Vending machines were a curse when SP started using them on their trains as part of the plan to so mess up passenger trains that no-one would ride them! You do not want vending machines on a train!(not to mention the LSA would not have his job!)

I've also heard, but stress that it is not confirmed, that the biggest losses occur in the short haul cafe cars. That would seem to suggest that dining cars are not the biggest losers. One thing that would seem to back that idea is the fact that cafe service on Empire corridor trains running only between NY and Albany was cut a few years ago, along with the comissary in ALB. That could be coupled with the fact that the Keystones don't offer cafe service either.
If that is the case (that cafe cars generate bigger losses than dining cars), I wonder if there are any relatively easy steps that could be taken to reduce those losses in the cafe cars. Different product mix? Pricing changes? Some sort of promotions to generate increased sales?

No! Vending machines were a curse when SP started using them on their trains as part of the plan to so mess up passenger trains that no-one would ride them! You do not want vending machines on a train!(not to mention the LSA would not have his job!)
That is the point, get rid of the overpaid clerk. These people make what like 15 bucks an hour with full benefits and paid vacation just because they work on a train. On 'land' someone doing this kind of work would be making barely above minimum wage with zero benefits or vacation.

the Eagle and the City are still being runthrough for who knows how long?)
Now Jim that REALLY sucks... the NOL mechanical forces tell me that there are things Chicago is letting go that any rail buff would know better not to leave undone (brake shoes, stopped up toilets.) It's a long, long trip from NOL to SAS and back without even a broom going inside the train. Anybody at Amtrak listening ??? :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back