What has happened to the "Silver Star"?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible that Sanford may once again see single level equipment on a regular basis. I have heard rumors from several sources that Tri-Rail may put up track curfews making it next to impossible for Amtrak to run in South Florida. They would bustitute for the length of the curfew to Orlando, with equipment and T&E laying over in Sanford (OBS would probably be sent in a PTI van to Sanford a few hours before the equipment leaves from Sanford).

battalion51 said:
It is possible that Sanford may once again see single level equipment on a regular basis. I have heard rumors from several sources that Tri-Rail may put up track curfews making it next to impossible for Amtrak to run in South Florida. They would bustitute for the length of the curfew to Orlando, with equipment and T&E laying over in Sanford (OBS would probably be sent in a PTI van to Sanford a few hours before the equipment leaves from Sanford).
Would this be permanent or just untill double tracking is done?

I'm a little confused, would that be a temporary thing in terms of curfews, or permanent? (i.e. would the curfews be because of maintence or what?)

My best guess would be because of construction, because tri-rail is already trying to squeeze a number of trains in.

The curfew would be for track construction in South Florida. Currently the area from Dyer (SX964) to Pineapple (SX993), from Carmen (SX1012) to Miami Plantation (SX1023) and from 79 St (SX1034) to 25 St (SX1038) is a construction zone. The idiots over at Herzog can't seem to do anything right, so they are about 6 months behind schedule. To compensate they are talking about a total curfew from 10AM-3PM and then during the night so that the Construction can occur uninterrupted and hopefully get the project done on time.

CSX isn't going to take that to kindly. They already before construction would stick a freight in when ever least convienent.

Since the state owns the tracks they can do whatever they wish to do. CSX currently just dispatches the line and has trackage rights. If the state decides to put the curfew in CSX can grumble and negotiate, but the state has the final say.

If the curfew went into effect stopping csx service would csx run on the fec line from West Palm to Miami.

It wouldn't prevent CSX from running the line, it would limit the hours in which CSX could run. Theoretically CSX could divert to FEC if absolutely necessary, though that is highly unlikely.

If CSX were to put in a freight wouldn't that add drastic delays to tri-rail. The times the curfew isn't in place are during rush hour so it would be hectic.

For all the trouble the freights give to Amtrak I find it ironic (possibly funny too) that someone (the State of Florida) could possibly give CSX some of its own medicine.

engine999 said:
Yes, but CSX dispatches. ;)
You're missing the point, the point is that the owner of the tracks is sticking it to a tenant in this instance who does the dispatching isn't all that relevant.

For now. By the end of the double track project the state will take over dispatching responisbilities from a new control center in Miami. They will most likely divide the corridor into two or three sections. If they go with two sections most likely from Dyer to Cypress Creek and from Cypress Creek to Miami International, if three sections then it'll probably be divided up by county.

tp49 said:
engine999 said:
Yes, but CSX dispatches. ;)
You're missing the point, the point is that the owner of the tracks is sticking it to a tenant in this instance who does the dispatching isn't all that relevant.
Yes, but even if csx is supposed to be blocked by tri-rail, csx dispatching will put as many trains within that window ith no regard for tri-rail.

No they won't. They'l get their a** reemed by the dispatcher because the state and crews will throw a fit if some CSX rock train pokes along at 60 MPH for the duration of the Tri-Rail's trip. Have there been extreme circumstances where CSX has broken down in front of Tri-Rail and Tri-Rail's been screwed as a result, yes. But, any Dispatcher who works the BA Console understands that Tri-Rail always takes preference.

I can confirm that the Star does, as I saw the consist running with a diesel at Wilmington on Wednesday.

It depends. If the train is not carrying RoadRailers and Ivy City has an electric available they change is done there. If RoadRailers are involved or, Ivy City has no electrics available Race Street does the engine change.

WICT106 said:
Hey, if CSX could get permission to run their trains over the FEC, why not Amtrak?
Amtrak basically had permission to run the FEC. The problem was that Amtrak didn't have the money to pay for the needed track improvements so that they could run on the FEC.

Plus Amtrak didn't really have the equipment for that ambitious plan.

And now they are still under that loan condition that states that they can't start any new routes, unless someone else is paying.

Personally I think the way the service was planned for the FEC had the wrong ideas anyway. I've said it more than once, I'll say it a million times, I think a fourth Silver Service train (Silver Comet) would be more practical. (Provided the equipment, funding, etc. is there). You'd get additional frequencies in some places, as well as the new service. Maybe if the equipment is there, then you could try a section to TPA via ORL. The practical thing to do would be to run the train BOS-MIA/TPA, have the train depart BOS around 11 AM, so it'll leave NYP around 3:30, and run it via the Silver Star's route through the Carolinas.

If the state did impose a curfew from 10am till 3pm wouldnt amtrak still be able to get trains 98 and 90 out of Miami and trains 91 and 97 into Miami? All of those trains run the Miami to West Palm section before 10 and after 3.

Even though that may be true, if there's a significant enough delay, then you run into trouble, most likely having to wait out that curfew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back