What is going on Texas Eagle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They should have bused the Sunset (and San Antonio) passengers direct from Marshall to San Antonio. Other buses could have completed the normal run. 21 should have been turned at Marshall.

A post on TrainOrders says 21(20) made it to Marshall aroud 3 pm but didn't leave until 7 pm. My guess would be they had engine problems and it took that long to get a UP tow plus a UP engine and crew for the remainder of the trip to SAS. Just hope the P42 still had HEP. :blink:

So did they ever arrive? Last I saw was a tenish this morning. I already called my hotel and asked what I should do if this happens to us. So did they ever figure out what happened to make it so late?

They probably didn't bus anyone because every single bus, train, plane is completely full this weekend. I noticed buses leaving near my home in Austin to Mexico had people standing in the aisles. That would be an uncomfortable trip.

They should have bused the Sunset (and San Antonio) passengers direct from Marshall to San Antonio. Other buses could have completed the normal run. 21 should have been turned at Marshall.
Don't forget that Amtrak has to line up charter buses and drivers whenever there is a bustitution, and Marshall is not exactly a metropolis like NYC, LA or even Dallas. (That's why you may see school buses used for an emergency bustitution at times.) And I don't think there's a wye in Marshall to turn the train or at least locomotive.

It seems there are better options than allowing a train to be 13 hours late. Assuming a supply of buses, Dallas is only 2 hours and 20 minutes away. Then, there is Shreveport, a city of 200,000, only 40 minutes away. Someone on Amtrak's Facebook page said it was flooding. Maybe that is speculation. Knowing the exact problem would sure help understand the possible solutions.

I see #22 will be almost 5 hours late heading back to CHI due to the 13 hour delay in arriving-bummer.
And #1 the Sunset Ltd. Left SAS 11+ Hours Late after Waiting for #21 All Night and Morning! :rolleyes: Projected Arrival into El Paso is 9 HOurs+ Late! Guess the Sunset Pax going to LAX wont be Arriving @ O-Dark-Thirty Tomorrow!!! <_<

Update: Now Today's #1 is Shown as Arriving into El Paso 11 Hours L ate out of SAS and Today's#22 9+Hours Late into FTW!!!! Today's (12/21) #21 is shown as Arriving into SAS 1 Hour Early! :rolleyes: UP Must Have Tied Down the Freights and Rock Trains Down this Way! It 's Now Sunny and 50s , All the Bad Weather moving to the NE into the Ohio Valley and the East Coast!

Last edited by a moderator:
If somehow the passengers could have been bused to San Antonio, they would have arrived about 1:00 AM. Plenty of time to meet the Sunset and only 3 hours late.

If somehow the passengers could have been bused to San Antonio, they would have arrived about 1:00 AM. Plenty of time to meet the Sunset and only 3 hours late.
I Agree, this Would Normally be the Procedure on this Route But as was said With the Holiday Season Travel in Full Bloom Amtrak was Not Able to Find Enough Buses to Carry the Connecting Passengers from the #421 Sleeper and Coach and their Luggage to SAS Plus the Sunset Ltd.#1 Did Not Have Enough Seats and Rooms for this Many Passengers!

Last edited by a moderator:
What plagued 21(20)

1. EMS needed at Joliet

2. Flash Flood warnings at Texarkana

3. Disabled Freight at Marshall, TX

4. Struck a tree at Marshall, TX

5. Tree lodged under the equipment and had to be removed with chainsaws.

6. Resulting heavy freight congestion.

I Agree, this Would Normally be the Procedure on this Route But as was said With the Holiday Season Travel in Full Bloom Amtrak was Not Able to Find Enough Buses to Carry the Connecting Passengers from the #421 Sleeper and Coach and their Luggage to SAS Plus the Sunset Ltd.#1 Did Not Have Enough Seats and Rooms for this Many Passengers!
San Antonio used to have a coach and sleeper spare at the station.

Looks like trains 21(21) and 22(22) will meet in Austin somewhere. My guess is Sneed siding so 22 (about 8 hours late) can finish it's work in Austin first and get moving.

Don't forget that Amtrak has to line up charter buses and drivers whenever there is a bustitution, and Marshall is not exactly a metropolis like NYC, LA or even Dallas. (That's why you may see school buses used for an emergency bustitution at times.) And I don't think there's a wye in Marshall to turn the train or at least locomotive.
Marshall ain't exactly teeny and Longview (75,000) is only 40 minutes our so down US-80. But to your point, tis the season....

Looks like Chicago really struggled to get trains out today, most of the LD trains were anywhere from 1 to 3 hours late in departing-including #21. The weather was wintry, but nothing out of the ordinary for Chicago. Oh, well……

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back