What is happening to the SWC route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll just let GML and Z17 live out in the west and walk everywhere they go then we'll see what they think. quack! quack!
GML, Z17, Ryan and the other 'eastern sophisticates' have no idea what they are talking about.
There's no way I can "walk, bicycle or take public transit to wherever you want to go", but thanks for playing.

I also understand the cost structures just fine.

If you're going to drag me into a conversation, you can at least not be wrong about every single point you make while doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always said a passenger train is no good unless it travels at least as fast as an automobile (in West Highway speeds are 75/80 mph) , So with stops and all other considerations you would say a passenger train needs to travel more 100 mph to be successful?
Now that I am a part of the discussion apparently, top speed doesn't have anything to do with it. For trips over 8 hours or so (more than a person can drive in a day), a train can have a slower top speed but still get me to my destination more quickly since it can move while I'm eating, sleeping and relaxing. Apparently out west things are more spread out (really?!?!?), so this advantage is more important.

Even if the overall travel time is slower, I'd rather sit and relax for 10 hours than drive for 8.

We'll just let GML and Z17 live out in the west and walk everywhere they go then we'll see what they think. quack! quack!
Who said anything about walking? You compared it to cars.
The goalposts must have gotten on a train and been moved without our knowledge.

I am trying very hard to stay out of this fray. :lol: I will just get some popcorn and soda and settle down for the show. :p
Here, Jis. You need this .gif.

jLZz4Na.gif

I have always said a passenger train is no good unless it travels at least as fast as an automobile (in West Highway speeds are 75/80 mph) , So with stops and all other considerations you would say a passenger train needs to travel more 100 mph to be successful?
Define "successful."

Sarah's Michael Jackson meme fits me perfectly too. I will be riding the SWC for its full length from Chicago to Los Angeles in less than two weeks and I'm sure I will be thinking of ducks and bloated overhead for the entire journey. :lol:

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be a quack!

Do I get Bonus Points for knowing that zephyr17 and JayPea are from Washington State hence are Western Eastern Sophisticates? ☺

Do I get Bonus Points for knowing that zephyr17 and JayPea are from Eastern Washington hence are Western Eastern Sophisticates? ☺
Well, I am from Western Washington, I guess JayPea is our only Western Eastern Sophisticates.

Maybe we should revive that old thread where all Superliners were always westbound.

Do I get Bonus Points for knowing that zephyr17 and JayPea are from Eastern Washington hence are Western Eastern Sophisticates? ☺
Well, I am from Western Washington, I guess JayPea is our only Western Eastern Sophisticates.

Maybe we should revive that old thread where all Superliners were always westbound.
There's also Yarrow and EB-OBS in this neck of the woods. However, only in this thread will I ever be described as a sophisticate. I am anything but. :p

I'm several thousand miles to the East of New York. Does that make me a far eastern sophisticate? What's the champagne and foie gras equivalent of popcorn guy?

GML, Z17, Ryan and the other 'eastern sophisticates' have no idea what they are talking about.
There's no way I can "walk, bicycle or take public transit to wherever you want to go", but thanks for playing.

I also understand the cost structures just fine.

If you're going to drag me into a conversation, you can at least not be wrong about every single point you make while doing it.
'citation'

I may be Eastern, and I may be sophisticated, but I live in a place where I have to drive EVERYWHERE, henryj. I'd still prefer a train station which was closer to me and didn't require driving down unlighted rural highways for long distances, and I'm sure the good people of Wichita feel the same way.

I would say your assumption is ludicrous.
Especially considering the long distance trains generally have high load factors.
Because they have tiny consists. The California Zephyr runs with 325 seats; by comparison the Surfliner runs with ~500 and they are planning on adding another car for close to 600 seats because they don't have enough capacity on the peak runs as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back