what is it like to ride an Amtrak train for 20+ hours ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zephyrdude....good gosh...you couldn't have said it better. Endless conversations about nothing. That is what train travel is all about. I recently pitched ditching a trip to Seattle to my girlfriend who has a small amount of vacation time. I told her, "we can fly to Seattle and fly back and save you two weeks vacation". Her reply, "Al... I love taking the train!" So that wasn't an option. Then I said, "you know...we can skip going to see the Cornhuskers play the Washington Huskies next year in Seattle and pick a location closer for our big trip" and her reply: "Al, I love football and trains!" Ok guys, is this one a keeper?!? :lol:

When I was younger, Cunard used the slogan Getting there is half the fun

In a few weeks we will go from home in STL - CHI then CHI -PDX on the EB, then PDX - LAX on the CS stay in LAX for a few nights (just to get our land legs back) then LAX -STL on the TE.

Why are we going? Just to take a train ride - we will see a buddy of mine in LAX but thats secondary (as are pastrami sandwichs at Langers & pizza at Giordano's) we are just going for a train ride :)

I have taken round-the-country train trips (with sleeper) several times in the past few years. Usually start in JAX then to DC, then to CHI then Seattle then to LA then back...sometimes in different directions. I have also traveled to Europe 9 times on vacation. As much as I love my European vacations, they are no where NEAR as relaxing or spiritually renewing as the round-the-country train trips.

I'm wondering what it might be like to ride an Amtrak train for 20, 30, 40 + hours. I've never been on a train for much longer than 3 hours. I'm considering taking a long trip in the near future but I wonder what it's like to do so from a comfort perspective: i.e. is it common to feel antsy and ready to jump off after about 10 hours. 20 hours? Or is it so much more comfortable than a bus (I have about a 4 hour limit here) that it's fine?
Thank you for any input.
It all depends on whether you are traveling by coach or sleeper. If you're feeling anxiety about spending a day or two on a train, I'd advise you to pay the extra for the sleeper to ensure that you have a positive first experience.

I have taken round-the-country train trips (with sleeper) several times in the past few years. Usually start in JAX then to DC, then to CHI then Seattle then to LA then back...sometimes in different directions. I have also traveled to Europe 9 times on vacation. As much as I love my European vacations, they are no where NEAR as relaxing or spiritually renewing as the round-the-country train trips.
A 3h trip in Europe is not comparable to a Superliner "Cruise" of 30-50h. And with a sleeper ( Roomette or Bedroom) you have your rolling home. I am not a fan of traveling coach seat overnight. My next trip is coming monday from CHI to ABQ only a short 24h trip... way too short !

In 2008 my wife and I took the California Zephyr from Elko, Nevada and continued home to Pittsburgh via the Capitol Limited. W boarded the CZ at 9 PM and after a quick walk through we returned to our roomette. Both of us have not been on a train since at least 50 years ago and did not really know what to expect. We quickly fell asleep and woke up shortly after the train left Salt Lake City. I know I got the 8 hours sleep and so did my wife, the ride was smooth that night. The next leg of the trip to Denver was along the Colorado River Valley though the train did not move very fast the scenery was special along that portion of the ride. We met so many different people each time we ate, all were interesting in their own way. It is so nice to walk around and I liked the observation car for watching the scenery and the people. As I learned people who travel on trains are patient, probably because we understand we are traveling hundreds of miles on our trip and you see and feel it.

Airplanes get you there too but the ride is crowded, even first class seating can feel tight considering how people must pass each other to get to restrooms. And really, there is no place to go besides to the bathroom and back to the seat. Having flown across the Pacific to Hong Cong, and Singapore and back more than once, mostly in business class, once in First Class the 14 hour trip over there beats you up no matter where you sit. I sleep anywhere but even airplane first class seating fails to match my bunk in the roomette. I can lay down just like at home in the roomette an it gives me privacy curtains and doors, there is no such thing on an airplane where you sleep like you are in a hospital ward. Yes you do get to and from places much more quickly on the plane and there are reasons you need to use them, mostly because travel time counts especially in the business world. Saving time is the advantage to air travel over auto and trains, everybody knows that but the people who travel by train might be better time managers over the "long haul" by cutting out the hectic part of their lives.

(Perhaps when the country understands high speed rail saves money for freight too (which might save consumers money) we will get a passenger system that can travel around 150 mph +.

I find it hard to believe the road system could ever accommodate 100 mph drivers so some day before I die I hope the rail system can be upgraded to speeds that make trains a viable alternative to long road trips and medium plane flights.)

When I was younger, Cunard used the slogan Getting there is half the fun
In a few weeks we will go from home in STL - CHI then CHI -PDX on the EB, then PDX - LAX on the CS stay in LAX for a few nights (just to get our land legs back) then LAX -STL on the TE.

Why are we going? Just to take a train ride - we will see a buddy of mine in LAX but thats secondary (as are pastrami sandwichs at Langers & pizza at Giordano's) we are just going for a train ride :)
I agree with Cunard and I add......"coming back is the other half" :)

A 3h trip in Europe is not comparable to a Superliner "Cruise" of 30-50h. And with a sleeper ( Roomette or Bedroom) you have your rolling home. I am not a fan of traveling coach seat overnight. My next trip is coming monday from CHI to ABQ only a short 24h trip... way too short !
I agree, I wasn't comparing European train travel with Amtrak travel. I was comparing "vacations" as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back