What is the ideal roomette location? Just got my tickets.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will first apologize as I'm sure this is a common question, but I could not find an answer specific to my situation.

My father and I are taking the CZ in August, Denver to Emmeryville, CA. Followed by renting a car to drive the CA coast to Seattle and then fly back to Denver. We have 8 days to do this.

My father is in his 80's so I'm concerned about logistics, although he gets around very well and stairs are not an issue. I purchased our tickets online and was assigned Car 0531, Roomette 004.

What is the ideal location for the best experience taking into consideration he is a long time rail fan and we are taking the train for the views, enjoyment of the journey and the excitement of being on a LD Train.

If there is a better location, I would like to know as I will call and try to make changes based upon your input. Thank you!

Thanks so much. This is a trip of a lifetime for us!

Roomette # 4 is a good one' close to the SCA in #1/the upstairs restroom and stairs and the coffee and juice station!

The best place for sightseeing is in the Sightseer Lounge especially leaving Denver up the Front Range and along the Colorado River through the Rockies! After you get to Reno you'll have fantastic Scenery through the Sierras via Donner Pass etc. The desert part of this route is at night while you sleep!

Once you are upstairs everything you need except the Showers is easy access except you'll have to go downstairs if you want to get fresh air/smoke @ the stops!

The Sleeping Cars are on the back on this route with the Diner, Lounge and then the Coaches and bag car @ the front!

Nice trip, be sure and let Amtrak know if your dad will need special assistance at the stops and on the train!

Jim, thank you for the response. I feel much more confident that we are in a good location! I'm very excited about seeing the Glenwood Canyon/Rockies via the rails. I've driven it many times, and each time I find myself looking across the river to the rails on the other side and dreaming about what it would be like via train! I want to get some good books and brush up on my history along the way prior to going.

Perhaps you or someone can tell me, does the lounge car typically stay pretty full with people (during daylight hours). As in, is it going to be difficult to find a place to sit there and/or feel rushed to move so others can sit there also? Do passengers in the coach area have a view from where they are seated? Or do most passengers seem to migrate to the lounge car?

Thanks again. This is my first trip and the anticipation and planning is half the fun for me!

On this route the Sightseer Lounge will pretty much stay full between Denver and Grand Junction so I'd say snag a seat ASAP in the Lounge after Boarding! (Breakfast Is still being served so after settling in your room ,eat and then head for the Lounge before leaving the Rebuilt Historic Union Station!

Be sure and look for the rafters and hikers along the Colorado that "moon" the train! And Lounge Lizards love to try and hog the seats and tables in the Lounge by putting coats, books etc I'm seats while they go eat, visit their rooms etc,

As you probably know the best views climbing the front range out of Denver to Glenwood Springs are on the Right Side of the Train and after that on the left along the River and in the Canyons!

From Reno to Sacramento its Right Side all the way!

I believe the 31 car is closer to the diner, so you won't have too long of a walk to the dining car or lounge car. There is a certain amount of shuffling in and out of the lounge car during the day, but there are definitely some people that will be there all day (I'm guilty, so I don't have room to criticize those who do). In my mind the best views on the second day (through the Sierra Nevadas) is going to be on the right side. I had my camera with me and I was able to get some decent shots even through the glass. The trick I've found is to get the lens right up on the glass so you don't get reflections in your pictures. Have a great time!

While I might have a preference on roomette location when I travel, it doesn't make much difference at all and wouldn't make me think twice about if the location I prefer wasn't available.

I believe the 31 car is closer to the diner, so you won't have too long of a walk to the dining car or lounge car.
This is correct. 531 is right behind the diner, so they won't have to walk very far. :)

Paperwing, to get the lounge, you'll walk through the diner. This will make it easier for your dad, actually, as he'll have multiple tables and seatbacks he can use to steady himself.

I just got room 008 on the EB to Chicago, how does that stack up? And more importantly is that a north view or south view?

Room 8 is towards the end of the car (only room 10 is farther back), but you don't know which way the car will be situated. Thus, you can't say "left or right side" or "north or south side". I have been on the EB (actually any Superliner train) where one sleeper had bedrooms first and the next sleeper had roomettes first. So in one car room 8 faced north and in the next car room 8 faced south!

The downstairs rooms are NOT over the trucks (wheels) and are actually more towards the center of the car.
I knew there was a Reason I didnt become an Engineer and am Mechanically Challenged! :giggle: But I have found that in the Superliners that the H Room and the Family Room (which I dont care for) ride Rougher and Bouncier and have More Noise but perhaps Ive just been in Worn out Cars when riding Downstairs!

When traveling westbound on the CZ, the better view in Glenwood Canyon will on the right side of the lounge car. Switch back to the left side for debeque and ruby canyons after the town of Rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

As we are asking about the best roomette #, how about the CS south from SEA. Even or Odd to be on the west side of the train so we can see the ocean?

Your odds are always 50/50 to be on the "ocean" side, because Superliner sleepers can be and are oriented either direction pretty much at random. You won't know which side you are on until you see the train, so even or odd room number doesn't really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back