What is the reason the DB-ICE couldn't be used on the NEC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoboi

OBS Chief
What is the reason the DB-ICE couldn't be used on the NEC? I'm sure it's entirely FRA requirements, but I'm curious as to why that train set couldn't be put on a boat and shipped over. What are the "deficiencies" in the FRA's eyes?

I do realize that it couldn't travel at the speeds they get on the Frankfurt - Cologne segment, but say Amtrak wanted to replace the currecnt Acela set with something else. Why couldn't these be used off the shelf?

As said, part of the reason is FRA regulations. In fact, before the Acela was built, they did have an ICE (and also a Swedish X-2000 IIRC) in trials on the NEC in revenue service. They had to get an FRA waiver for these to operate.

As said, part of the reason is FRA regulations. In fact, before the Acela was built, they did have an ICE (and also a Swedish X-2000 IIRC) in trials on the NEC in revenue service. They had to get an FRA waiver for these to operate.
Yup, and I did ride both of them on the NEC. The primary problem is buff strength rules of FRA, which incidentally no one else in the world uses. The X2000 actually needed several waivers - to operate while not meeting buff strength rules, and also for operating at 135 mph. the X2000 actually managed to do New York to Philadelphia regularly in shorter time than the Acela can manage today. Even though it had less power than the Acela, it had a leg up on being light and thus was able to accelerate and decelerate better than the Acela into and out of curves. Oh yes it also needed another waiver to operate beyond the then normally permitted underbalance speeds on curves.

On the whole it was a pleasure to ride both of those trains, and unfortunately, other than having larger seat pitch, i cannot say that all the efforts of Amtrak has actually improved much upon the general facilities on those trains, in their Acela interior design. In general the net effect of Americanizing the design IMHO has been making almost everything a bit clunkier.

I might be wrong on this, but i seem to recall that Amtrak liked the test ICE train that was brought over, but it did not tilt. The X2000 did tilt, but it only had a power car on one end, thus the other end was a cab car....which the FRA really frowned upon

Jis... I am very very jealous. Would have loved to ride those!

Did the ICE also run at 135 in revenue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jls... I am very very jealous. Would have loved to ride those!

Did the ICE also run at 135 in revenue?
Unfortunately my recollection fails me on the matter of what speed the ICE set operated at. Since it was a non-tilting set it is possible that it was limited to 125 overall, but I am not sure. Also, the X2000 at 135 mph thing is more memorable because it was a first and there was much written about the waiver. Since the ICE came after the X2000 maybe all that had been sorted out and they just operated it at 135. but as I said, i don;t remember, though I did ride it twice.

So it is simply crash test standards that prevent the ICE from operating here?

Has anyone (Siemens, Talgo, Alstom etc.) actually rammed their sets into something so we/them could see their actual crash performance? Now has anyone rammed something like the Acela or Bombardier Bi-Levels into something to determine the same thing?

I guess that creates the question for us newbies as to what the definition of "buff strength" is.

That's when you strip naked, and see who you can push around in the shower! ... No wait! That's "In the buff strength"!
mosking.gif

Technical buff strength and crash performance with regard to survivability are two different things. A MCC Smart has an unbelievably strong safety shell, and its passenger shell deformation characteristics are amazing. However, if you hit a brick wall with a Smart at 60 MPH, you would likely find the crash somewhat deadly. Why? Because your body would find that deceleration to be above the threshold its internal organs can take. Much like you can shake a dog to death.

Bombardier's death trap Hawker-Siddley Bi-Levels meet FRA standards. They split apart at the seams in crashes, as evidenced twice in California in the past five years alone, but they meet the standards.

Bombardier's death trap Hawker-Siddley Bi-Levels meet FRA standards. They split apart at the seams in crashes, as evidenced twice in California in the past five years alone, but they meet the standards.
GML:

What these cars did when they essentially split and wrapped themselves around the adjacent cars is or was called "telescoping" Seeing how the old sliding tubes style telescope opens out and closes should make that term self-explanatory. This sort of action in an accident was notoriously common in the days of wooden cars. That was one of the big advantages of the steel coach, it would not easily telescope. In fact the normal result of a collision with steel cars was to "accordian" that is they end up in a zig-zag arrangement.

As to the ICE trains, look up details on the Eschede accident. Find pictures of the aftermath and you will see that several of the cars literally unzipped along their seams. And for some, this did not appear to be the result of a telescoping type of action, as they ended up completely off the track spread out like car kits with identifiable roof, sides, and floors more or less parallel to each other. Over 100 people died in this. Compare this to the Chase MD accident where a train of Amfleet cars hit three stopped diesels at over 100 mph and only 13 people died.

I would avoid riding one of these train sets in Germany and certainly would not if at all avoidable ride one in the US if they ever did get here.

While it could be debated that our crashworthiness standards go too far, I don't those in Germany, if there are any, go near far enough. Vehicle integrity in a collision is a primary, if not the primary requirement. I tend to suspect that the German philosophy is that there will not be collisions.

The Eschede disaster was such a series of things done wrong coming together, it is used as a teaching tool explaining the concept of the "Cascade of Events."

That was one of the big advantages of the steel coach, it would not easily telescope. In fact the normal result of a collision with steel cars was to "accordian" that is they end up in a zig-zag arrangement.
I must respectfully submit that it is not just the use of steel as the construction material that gives cars this property of not telescoping. It is also the integral or monocoque design. There are ample cases of steel coaches built on separate floor frame that have been ripped off the floor frame in collisions causing mayhem inside the car.

As to the ICE trains, look up details on the Eschede accident. Find pictures of the aftermath and you will see that several of the cars literally unzipped along their seams. And for some, this did not appear to be the result of a telescoping type of action, as they ended up completely off the track spread out like car kits with identifiable roof, sides, and floors more or less parallel to each other. Over 100 people died in this. Compare this to the Chase MD accident where a train of Amfleet cars hit three stopped diesels at over 100 mph and only 13 people died.
Of course the fact that the first car was unoccupied and the second car was sparsely occupied did help keep the casualty rates down in case of the Chase crash. So the comparison is a bit apples and oranges. But hey if it helps make ones argument. Why not? The first car was actually pretty much demolished. Typically even a monocoque design will not help much if a huge blow is struck from the side.

I am also not sure how even Amfleets will fare if they manage to bashed into an immovable bridge pylon at 125+mph. The diesel locomotives that were involved in the Chase accident were not as immovable an obstruction as the bridge pylon in Eschede.

But I hasten to add that there were also manufacturing issues in the ICE 1 sets that caused them to open up at seams, which was not by design but was possibly a known problem that had been swept under the rug, lime things sometimes are.

I would avoid riding one of these train sets in Germany and certainly would not if at all avoidable ride one in the US if they ever did get here.
Interesting, and yet you have no problem riding the Shinkansen and even the Taiwan HST? Or are you saying that you would specifically avoid riding the ICE 1 sets because of their manufacturing issues? Would you ride a Shinkansen set if it were to operate in the US? Not questioning your decision. Just trying to scope your statement as to what are the root principles involved.

While it could be debated that our crashworthiness standards go too far, I don't those in Germany, if there are any, go near far enough. Vehicle integrity in a collision is a primary, if not the primary requirement. I tend to suspect that the German philosophy is that there will not be collisions.
At least in my view the US crashworthiness standards focus on some issues to the exclusion of others in a collision and fail to address a few issues that are more important when it comes to actually saving lives in collisions. So I would not say that it goes too far or not. It is just that it does not take a more holistic view of overall survivability in high speed collisions.

What is important is the integrity of the passenger carrying component of the vehicle must preserve the lives of the passengers in it, and if necessary be able to sacrifice the overall vehicle in order to make it so. If it takes deformation of the stuff outside of the passenger compartment to absorb energy then so be it. That is the philosophy followed in the design of crumple zones in cars and rail cars alike. A design the merely preserves integrity of the entire vehicle without providing for energy absorption in a collision is a poor design. As I have mentioned elsewhere FRA has already started moving in that direction in its Tier II standards, though they have not quite been able tog et over their idea of increasing buff strength requirements nonetheless.

The Eschede disaster was such a series of things done wrong coming together, it is used as a teaching tool explaining the concept of the "Cascade of Events."
Indeed. One over-riding lesson from Eschede has got to be "Keep it Simple" and reduce the number of components and hence independent points of potential failure. Afterall the root cause of Eschede was the failure in an overly complex design of wheels that involved multiple components (way more than really necessary) that could fail independently thus making the net probability of failure unacceptably high, but an issue that was successfully swept under the proverbial carpet since afterall beating the French was more important, or some such. :)

I'm curious George, where were the passengers that died located in the Eschede crash? One of the passenger cars had a bridge fall on top of it and crushed to fifteen inches in height. I don't care whose crash standards you follow, a 300 tonne bridge landing on a train car WILL NOT yield pretty results.

I'm curious George, where were the passengers that died located in the Eschede crash? One of the passenger cars had a bridge fall on top of it and crushed to fifteen inches in height. I don't care whose crash standards you follow, a 300 tonne bridge landing on a train car WILL NOT yield pretty results.
Quite. I actually had to go back and reread what Mr Harris wrote, and for a poster that comes across as quite an intelligent man, it is a really silly statement. Refusing to ride in one particular type of train? May as well go for the matching set and not cross any road bridges with high speed German trains passing under them, just in case..... :ph34r:

The Eschede wreck was in fact a complex cascade of events, and I think bulk of the deaths were in the car that was completely crushed. Nonetheless, stuff happens - and that is the rationale of the FRA standards. The NEC is a mixed use railroad; the possibility of a collision between a high speed passenger train and a slow moving and very heavy freight train is real if not all that likely. The EU and Japanese systems are designed to simply avoid collisions by exclusion. But we have to consider events such as the LA Metrolink wrecks caused by a single SUV, or a similar incident in the UK, where a driver ran a Land Rover off a highway, down an embankment, and onto the ROW. No amount of PTC would likely prevent either of these incidents - but they DID happen, and they killed a lot of people.

I got a chance to ride both the ICE and the X2000, also. I vaguely remember the cars, but I do recall thinking the X2000 had a much better ride than the ICE, perhaps due not so much the carbody tilt, (I cannot even remember if it was working), but rather the 'steerable' axles. Each axle was independent, allowing perfect alignment going around curves. Another thing I remember was the X2000 sort of had an 'IKEA' look inside furnishings true to its Swedish heritage. The ICE train had the interesting 'Bord' cafe car with Viewliner-like upper windows.

That's about all except I found an 'X2000' pin they gave out to passengers in my collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back