What is your favorite equipment type?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite equipment type?

• Superliner (sleepers, coaches, diners, lounges)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Viewliner (sleepers, prototype diner)

• Heritage (sleepers, coaches, diners, lounges, dome, Hi-Levels)

• Horizon (coaches, lounges)

• Amfleet (coaches, lounges, Metroliner variants, etc.)

• Acela (coaches, cafe)

• Pacific Surfliner (coaches, cafe)

• Amtrak California (coaches, lounge/diner; different from Surfliner fleet)

• Talgo (coaches, bistro, diner)

• Other (in case I forgot anything)

• Total voters

Trogdor

BURNiNATOR
What the heck. I've never done a poll here before.

I hope I'm not duplicating an old poll. I did a search, and found all sorts of "favorite" polls (including favorite sleepers, favorite Amfleet lounge configuration, favorite locomotives, etc.), but didn't find one as general as this.

If you don't like polls, feel free to skip this one.

It's a great poll, and quite comprehensive. My vote goes to the Talgo equipment. It is by far the most comfortable and luxurious (with the reclining seats, overhead TV monitors with train GPS tracking and automated stop announcements, easy and safe transitions between the coaches, etc.) and the bistro design with the barstools is quite unique and functional, not to mention that the setup and service/product availability is by far the best and of higher quality than you will find in any other Amtrak cafe car on the west coast (yup, I know, that part doesn't really count for this poll but it does help influence my vote).

B)

My vote goes for "Superliners" and , no, I do not remember a poll exactly like this one, either. So, good deal.

But actually for standard bedrooms (or "roomettes" as we are back to calling them now ) I prefer those in a Viewliner to those in a Superliner. But my love of a delux room in a superliner slightly outweighs that.

And of course it is hard to argue with the superliner sightseer lounges, also.

As far as overall comfort, quietness, etc. the Superliners, coaches and sleepers, are marvelous means of travel. But for adventure, the Heritage 10/6 with the rattle and bang of the rail every time you flush the toilet, and the little rubber bladed fan was the best.

Aloha

Choose the Heratage because they were my first and the room was slightly larger? Seemed so. Plus I think I agree with Midland Valley "But for adventure, the Heritage 10/6 with the rattle and bang of the rail every time you flush the toilet"

That night brtween Jacksonville FL and Washington DC was great.

Mahalo

from the perspective of having to work them.. I prefereed the superliners, because I would get a workout going up and down all those stairs :lol: .. that and NO SNOW in the vestibules, unlike the Horizon cars!!!!

I'm going with Superliners myself. They are the most comfortable FLEET (the Viewliners are the best comfort wise, but aren't the whole package) from one car to the next, and have probably held up the the best of all the fleets thus far. Besides that the better sightlines in the Lounge and Diner are great to have. I'm looking forward to doing a trip on AT in em this summer.

Love the superliners,but there was something about those heritage domes. Voted superliner. Dome into tunnel was always a suprise, first time I ducked down in the seat. :rolleyes:

Well, I hope somebody will vote for Viewliners.

I love a Viewliner "roomette" during the day with all the sun shining in (kind of futuristic looking) ...........but I love the Superliner deluxe room (and sightseer lounge) more, so I had to vote for that.

Bill Haithcoat said:
...........but I love the Superliner deluxe room (and sightseer lounge) more, so I had to vote for that.
Bill, why don't you like the Viewliner deluxe room? After all it has the same window setup as the roomette, for all that extra lighting. Plus the Viewliner deluxe, now just bedroom, actually has 2 to 3 times more luggage space than does a Superliner deluxe.

I'm not telling :lol:

Seriously though, It's one of the more fascinating types of equipment in terms of history and background. It was the first car I travelled in on Amtrak, and I like most things about it, especially the window design. The only things I dislike about them are the refurbs (I don't like the new locks some of them have) and most of all the HVAC, it doesn't work very well in the deluxe/bedroom part of the car...that needs improvement and must be addressed in both the current fleet and any additional orders.

Viewliner said:
I'm not telling :lol:
Seriously though, It's one of the more fascinating types of equipment in terms of history and background. It was the first car I travelled in on Amtrak, and I like most things about it, especially the window design. The only things I dislike about them are the refurbs (I don't like the new locks some of them have) and most of all the HVAC, it doesn't work very well in the deluxe/bedroom part of the car...that needs improvement and must be addressed in both the current fleet and any additional orders.
Well that description gave it all away. I know what your favorite type of car is. :)

I rode viewliner roometts on crescent and lake shore. Do they still have those little tv sets you have to crank your neck around to watch? One nice thing about sleeping, if you woke up you didn't have to raise up as high to look out the window.

I voted for Heritage Fleet. However, my love of these cars is more from a railfan/ historic perspective. I enjoyed the variety of equipment. Of course the domes were my favorite thing about having the Heritage cars. But, from a rail transportation advocate point of view, the Superliners are the best. They are great cars, and were a needed addition to Amtrak's fleet.

So I had to vote Heritage Fleet, but Superliners are a close second.

>>====

AlanB said:
Bill Haithcoat said:
...........but I love the Superliner deluxe room (and  sightseer lounge) more, so I had to vote for that.
Bill, why don't you like the Viewliner deluxe room? After all it has the same window setup as the roomette, for all that extra lighting. Plus the Viewliner deluxe, now just bedroom, actually has 2 to 3 times more luggage space than does a Superliner deluxe.

Oh, I am not sure. Maybe in my mind I associate them with the scenery out west (which, I know, misses the point of judging the equipment) , maybe I just like being upstairs better. Actually I have not ridden a Viewliner bedroom as often as a Superliner bedroom.

I want to budget that kind of money for longer trips (like CHI-=LA) where I will see much more different things, than, say, from ATL to NY.

Of course my first experience with what were then called "deluxe bedrooms" was on a Superliner and I fell in love with it then.

My least favorite sleeping car equipment would be the superliner roomette, since it has no restroom facilities. I have very seldom ridden in those.

Several times I have been on long distance western trains and the lounge car was too crowded and noisy for my taste, and I go back to my bedroom and scuttle back and forth between my window in the upstairs bedroom and the aisle window seeing scenery on both sides, great memories.

But I also seem to remember having some trouble getting the chair pushed out of the way in athe Viewliner bedroom to access the restroom that I do not seem to remember with a superliner.

As to luggage space, I try to travel lightly so maybv I had not noticed that difference.

Hi everybody!! :)

Been away for awhile, spending time with the new GF! :wub:

I want my own private "dome" car! :lol:

Little info on the V/L's.

As discussed before, the interior spring locks afe being used due to the high replacement cost for OEM. Over the yrs, the doors lock shut when closed and can be difficult to open, even with tools.

Hate to say it, but the video and CD system seems to be dying a slow death. :( The removal campaign is still posted on each car's daily report and I don't think they are being serviced. Haven't seen a "loaded" VCR in months, but some cars still play music. What "pisses" me off is that it's still advertised as a perk! :angry:

Another change is the addition of curtains in each room. Parts are available for the sliding curtains, but are labor intensive to rebuild. When the carman retired 2 yrs ago, curtain maintenance stopped.

Hialeah's manpower is at an all time "low!" :( Many people have retired in the last 3 yrs and few if any have been replaced. The few people who decided to transfer from other places, stay a few weeks and head back home! :lol:

Maybe it's the "smell of a slow death," that sends them packing! :lol:

HVAC is a problem. Maintenance takes time and mgt. thinks all repairs take about 20 minutes. Any longer, they blame labor for dragging their feet!

A little classroom instuction and maintenance manuals would help too! :p

Take care!

MJ B)

Aloha

An interesting results Superliner beats Heritage, only 2 to 1? Old equipment has something going for It.

Mahalo

Back