What is your favorite long distance train route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of Amtrak's LD routes is you're favorite and why?

• Silver Meteor

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Silver Star

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardinal

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Crescent

• Lake Shore Limited

• Sunset Limited

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • City Of New Orleans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas Eagle

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Coast Starlight

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • California Zephyr

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Southwest Chief

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Empire Builder

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Capitol Limited

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cute guy I sat with in the lounge
I keep telling you Penny, I was not on the CZ with you!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Dave, you are cute, but I am not old enough to be your mother!!! :lol:

The CS for the scenery, the PPC, and best crews we've run into. We have traveled on the CZ, SWC, SL, Crescent, and the Cardinal besides the CS.

Texas Eagle is the only train where i've done the entire route, even with all the travel on doing on Amtrak i'm doing this summer i won't do any route from end to end :mellow:

It was hard to vote for the best favorite long distance route- California Zephyr, Southwest Chief (my home"train"), and Coast Starlight. I chose CZ due to best scenery which I've only traveled between Salt Lake City and Richmond on that route which was my very first Amtrak ride.

Where is my beloved Auto Train in this poll?? Well, I'm casting a write-in vote for it. OBS superior to anything I've encountered except Acela first class. Captive pool of equipment that the Sanford yard maintains to standards well above those of the Chicago and Los Angeles yards. 2 modern stations. And it comes close enough to breaking even that you don't have to worry about whether or not the neanderthals in Congress are going to try to shut it down.

OK here's my new answer to the question:

Whichever one of them it is that gets me back to Maine soon - I am loving being in California with my two grand daughters and family - but am now a week behind my original schedule and that hurts the budget big time.

As it stands now, departing on the Zephyr this coming Wed. Wish me luck, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back