What is your favorite long distance train route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of Amtrak's LD routes is you're favorite and why?

• Silver Meteor

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Silver Star

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardinal

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Crescent

• Lake Shore Limited

• Sunset Limited

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • City Of New Orleans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas Eagle

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Coast Starlight

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • California Zephyr

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Southwest Chief

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Empire Builder

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Capitol Limited

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mflsjhs

Service Attendant
I have only traveled the Silver Star and Silver Meteor to date, but next week will add the Crescent, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight

Just wandering what is your favorite LD route and why

Just wandering? I think that's what we all do on LD trains.

Honestly, I can only judge one of the "big four" western routes from end to end (the SWC), and that was a very nice route, especially in the mountains. That said, I've got a really soft spot for the Silver Meteor, which I use as something of a commuter line from WAS-RVR (last train out of DC, has a full-service diner, and the scenery south of DC is rather nice). I can also speak highly of the Lake Shore Limited and the Capitol Limited, too.

I was going to say the Texas Eagle (my home train!), but I choose the SWC, half because it goes through the hometown of my best friend, plus it still has some Super-Chief spirit in it (read: good OTP
mosking.gif
). It's a train I can take seriously.

I've only been on the Pere Marquette (not even a LD train) and the SWC, so you can guess which one I picked. Not to mention, the SWC goes through the town of my future university and where my girlfriend goes to school!

I"m with the_traveler The Ca,Nev Colorado mountain/desert scenery on the Zephyr is something to behold, But the CS has it's own unique scenery all to itself. Going through Glacier Nat'l. Park And the river running the night before on the EB is cool too.

Gotta be the Coast Starlight :wub: with the Deciding Edge over the Zephyr being the PPC and the Generally More Professional and Friendly OBS! If the CZ had a Dome or PPC and Enhanced Service/Equipment I'd go with it due to the Scenery and the Length of the Trip!!

1st - The National Limited - because it connected my current home town with the amtrak network ( Columbus, Ohio).

2nd - The Capital Limited - because its the only train that goes East from Toledo at an almost reasonable hour + SUPERLINER Equipment east of MISS, also covers tremendous distance with fewer stops than most.

Also earliest arrival on east coast (from chicago).

3rd - The Lake Shore Limited - because its the only train that arrives in Toledo FROM the east at an almost reasonable hour.

Wait a minute, a pattern is emerging...... Change of topic!!!

4th - The Desert Wind - because it went to Las Vegas (with most of the CZ route)...... better Vegas on the DW than Reno on the CZ......

And another FORMER route, not very happy with current routes I guess....

Its too bad the LSL and CL schedules couldn't be spread out a bit more.... too close together.

Oh, and a side effect would be daylight hours for Cleveland and Toledo (but not the main reason for this).

LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Chief is just a well-run train. Good food, helpful staff, good on-time performance. Admittedly the scenery on the Coast Starlight is magnificent (better than the Chief) and I love the PPC.

That is a tough call! I guess that's why next week I'm doing the SWC (ABQ-LAX), CS (LAX PDX), EB (PDX-WGL), EB (WGL-PDX) CS (PDX-MTZ) & CZ (MTZ-DEN)!!! :D

I've only been on the Empire Builder, so I can't give an honest vote.

Of the video I saw on YouTube, CZ looks like a nice ride, and I'd say it would be about the same as the EB going though the Glacier Park.

My favorite is the California Zephyr for 2 reasons:

1. The scenery

2. The cute guy I sat with in the lounge who treated me as if I were his peer (as opposed to his mother's age). It is likely that will not happen again in the future.

I also really like the Silver Meteor because I usually take that train to get anywhere I need to go.

How many beers did you have in the lounge, Penny??

Nice avatar. I think I recognize the building!!

How many beers did you have in the lounge, Penny??

Nice avatar. I think I recognize the building!!
Thanks. The avatar is the Orlando train station. I took the photo a couple of years ago, but needed help sizing it in order to post it as an avatar.

BTW - I only had one beer in the lounge (and my young friend was not drinking :lol: ). When I am paying $6 a beer, I tend not to drink too much.

My favorite is the SWC. Have made about fiveteen times with a first in 1986. It is my connection to the rest of the system.

Although I have reasons for liking other routes, I have to give props to the Meteor as well. With SAV as my closest-to-home station, #'s 97 & 98 have served me well. Northbound 98 usually means I'm on an extended trip, whether making another Amtrak connection, usually the Cardinal or Capitol Ltd, or taking a next day flight from a number of possible departure points. Southbound #97 means a connecting flight, or just getting away for awhile in Florida!

Even though the Texas Eagle is my "local" Long Distance train, I went with the Coast Starlight with the Builder second by a thin cat's whisker. Nothing against the Eagle-it's just I find it to be more of a "Meat and Potatoes" train that does a decent job of getting you from Point A to Point B, in my case Point B often being Chicago where other trains are waiting.

I guess my favorite is the CZ, although my rides on the SWC and the Southern part of the CS just a few days ago were amazing too.

On the SWC, I rode from CHI TO ABQ, and two days later re-boarded for LAX. I noticed a profound difference in staff, in particular in the dining car. 1st leg was not so hot. 2nd leg was wonderful.

About the Pacific Parlour Car - I really enjoyed two meals there, but much prefer a regular cafe or sight-seer lounge for hanging out - maybe it's that the PPC excludes coach passengers (which I often am). More people to chose from for a conversation, etc. I would enjoy the ride just as well if it wasn't there; as I said the only advantage was a couple of different food choices. The mystique of the old car wasn't there for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back