What is your hoped for trip in 2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If things go well im planing a trip to the west coast.Leaving from phila to chicago via the cardinal or the Capitol Limited. And then. taking the southwest chief to la snd the costal limited to emeryville and theCZ back home

I hope to make an AGR trip in August CVS to San Francisco via the Cardinal, Southwest Chief and Coast Starlight. I just did the Zephyr route over Christmas and haven't been on the Chief in several years. I hope this is allowable......maybe I'll have to break the trip in CHI to make it so.

As I mentioned somewhere else, no trip for me in 2013, partly because the LSL prices are getting too high. I'm hoping to go to Minneapolis -- specifically, to St Paul Union Depot -- in 2014.

Just booked my big trip for the end of april.

PHL-CHI Roomette on Cardinal.

CHI-SAC Roomette on Zephyr

SAC-SEA Roomette on CS

SEA-ESM Roomette on Builder

ESM-WGL Coach on Builder

WGL-PDX Coach on Builder

And Delta PDX-DTW-PHL

Why.. I was just making some notes last night..

Sac to Denver $123, $254 roomette
Denver to Chi $143 +$257roomette
Chi to DC $93 +$146
DC to savanna, ga $101 t0 $133
savanna, ga to Orlando $47
Fly orlando to New Orleans $128
New Orleans to Memphis $58
Drive Memphis to Ark and back $100
Memphis to Chicago $101
chicago to sea $170
sea to sac $118 , $253 to $299 roomette

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned somewhere else, no trip for me in 2013, partly because the LSL prices are getting too high. I'm hoping to go to Minneapolis -- specifically, to St Paul Union Depot -- in 2014.
As a proud St. Pauline, I'd point out that you won't find the St. Paul Union Depot in Minneapolis.

As a humiliated St. Pauline, I'll point out that maybe in 2014 the train might actually stop at St. Paul Union Depot. How Ramsey County could consider opening a train station that isn't connected to tracks is beyond me. Not that the world's record Lite Brite display isn't great.

The Coast Starlight all the way to Seattle. This will be the first time for my wife and I. We have taken the CS many times to the Bay area. Last time we hit a cabbage truck near Salinas which put us nine hours late getting into Jack London. I can do without that this time.

So far the only certain LD trip for me is NYP - SOB - NYP via LSL in June.

There will be several Acela RTs on business through the year I am sure, only one is firm at present on the 19of March.

Depending on where AU Gathering is, it might involve a train trip or not, taking into account scheduling and vacation days availability. Similarly with the OTOL Fest.

I will most likely also have an Auto Train RT sometime later in the year.

Unfortunately it looks like this year work will keep me out of the country a lot more than last year, which in turn reduces the amount of time I can spend riding around on Amtrak. So my Amtrak mileage this year will most likely be much much less than last year. I will be lucky if I make Select this year, forget about Select+. Fortunately United Club willg et me into Club Acela, which is mostly what I care about from Select+ anyway.

We hope to be able to take another coast-to-coast trip to Virginia. Haven't seen the grandkids for 2 years, and that's just not acceptable! But I'm like AmtrakBlue. There may not be anything in the budget for that this year. I do have over 25,000 AGR but have no idea how to use them. I guess that's for another topic.
I'm thinking its time for you to buy 10K points and take the EB...I hope you get to see those grandbabies soon!

We are doing the usual round trip-CZ-CS (SLC to OLW) and back. Someday we want to take the EB....

We are departing on the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, then onto San Francisco on the California Zephyr

to visit our daughter. I have taken this trip twice before but will be Mrs Shanghai's first time going coast

to coast on a train We will stop in Salt Lake City on the return trip, then back to New York. I hope we get

through the mountains with the recent snowfall.

We are departing on the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, then onto San Francisco on the California Zephyrto visit our daughter. I have taken this trip twice before but will be Mrs Shanghai's first time going coast

to coast on a train We will stop in Salt Lake City on the return trip, then back to New York. I hope we get

through the mountains with the recent snowfall.
I just completed this trip and depending on what time of year you are going, the sights out the window is beautiful, especially after leaving Denver heading west. Enjoy your trip.

My hoped-for trip on the CZ from Denver, and possibly the sb CS, is on hold. The "MRI-like" upper bunk is the main problem. I've bought and accumulated AGR for a bedroom, but honestly I don't want to sleep there, and just can't (won't) ask the SIL to, either. Also, the plans were turning into a longer trip with more hotel stays than we first envisioned. So, I'm waiting til I have more AGR points and will revisit then. :(

Instead, my big trip this year will be with a friend to Europe. Need to do that before I add on too many more candles to the cake. This trip won't include any rail, however.

The European trains rock, but it's not fair to compare Amtrak to them. They are heavily funded, heavily used by the public, and distances are much shorter. The German ICE was quite an experience! But I digress....

I enjoy reading about all the wonderful Amtrak trips all you folks here are taking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back