What perks for business class?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyK

Train Attendant
US train travel is new to me and I'm trying to find out if it's worthwhile upgrading to business class. I'm planning some long journeys and wonder if it's worth the extra $$. What exactly do you get

Thanks

Tracy

Business Class on Amtrak vairies differently throughout the system. You mentioned in a previous thread that you will be taking the Maple Leaf. This train usually carries what is refered to as a split Club and is used for Business Class as well as food service for the rest of the train. The Business Class half of the car normally has 2-1 seating with individual tray tables, ready lights, and foot rests. The other half of the car has a food service bar and tables for eating and is seperated from the Business Class end by a curtain. All Business Class passengers recieve complementary non-alcoholic drinks (sodas, juice, coffee, milk, etc.).

Unlike a European version of Business Class, or any class between coach and first on a train or plane, there is no seperate attendant and one does not recieve complimentary gourmet meals and hot towel service. On Amtrak, except for the free drinks and bigger seats there's not much variation from coach.

Amfleet said:
Business Class on Amtrak vairies differently throughout the system. You mentioned in a previous thread that you will be taking the Maple Leaf. This train usually carries what is refered to as a split Club and is used for Business Class as well as food service for the rest of the train. The Business Class half of the car normally has 2-1 seating with individual tray tables, ready lights, and foot rests. The other half of the car has a food service bar and tables for eating and is seperated from the Business Class end by a curtain. All Business Class passengers recieve complementary non-alcoholic drinks (sodas, juice, coffee, milk, etc.).
Unlike a European version of Business Class, or any class between coach and first on a train or plane, there is no seperate attendant and one does not recieve complimentary gourmet meals and hot towel service. On Amtrak, except for the free drinks and bigger seats there's not much variation from coach.
I'm not so sure that the Maple Leaf gets the 2 & 1 seating arrangement. I seem to think that when I rode that train the last time, that it had the more typical 2 & 2 seating. I'll check with someone else to make sure.

However, regardless of the type of seat, I'd still recomend business class. The reason being is that the seat in business class always have more leg room than the standard coach seats. On a long trip like the Leaf, having a little extra space can come in handy.

The Maple Leafs on July 15th and July 19th had 2 & 1 seating but that may not be the norm for the route all the time.

For a trip longer than two or three hours I would suggest business class. The perks add up, especially on a long route like the Maple Leaf. Being an early departure from New York and unreserved up until Albany the train can be somewhat crowded so the benefit of having your own seat makes the extra money worth it.

I rode the Maple Leaf in January 2003 in business class, and we had 2x2 seating with extra legroom (though I had my own seat pair). However it is incorrect to say that Business Class always has more legroom than coach. Unfortunately, due to Amtrak's equipment situation and their tendency on some trains to throw together whatever's in the yard, there may be the odd situation or two where business class has less legroom than coach.

Some "business class" cars have the same legroom as your typical corridor coach, and occasionally (don't count on it, but it does happen sometimes) you'll get an Amfleet II or old Metroliner coach in place of a corridor coach. If that were to happen, the coach would have more comfortable seating than the business class car.

However, generally speaking, business class is still the better deal.

I rode Business Class on the Wolverine last month from Detroit to Chicago, and we had an Amfleet I cafe car with 2x1 seating and extra legroom. Considering the upgrade was $9, and I got a coupon for $4.50 worth of cafe car fare, plus unlimited non-alcoholic beverages, I certainly made out on the deal. However the eastbound trip (when I was in coach) had an Amfleet I car with 2x2 seating with no extra legroom.

Amtrak is rebuilding many of the Cafe/Business Class cars with a 2-1 configuration and leather seating. By 2009 there should be no more Amfleet I food service cars with 2-2 seating. So it is probably a hit or miss situation with the new cars.

Silver Service B-class did not change the seating much.

A back row of seats were removed and a cooler was installed for the free drinks and ice cream. Working on the PM line, I don't know if these "perks" are still available.

Movies and music are available thru the headsets. Don't know who is doing the maintenance on the audio or video. The video monitors are mounted on the luggage racks, so you might get a sore neck looking up and to the side. :huh:

The car should have it's own attendant. Then again, I'm not on LDT's and things have changed alot in the last 6 months.

MJ B)

Business class on the Carolinian is, I think, worth the nominal charge. There is more leg room, clean bathrooms, video (if working and if the videos have not been stolen), newspapers and drinks, and a dedicated attendant. Fewer little kids in business class.

I'm still waiting for business class on the Capitol Corridor considering it was supposed to be available a couple of years ago. I would believe that the demand would be there and all.

Back