What Sort of Sweet Snacks are Sold in Lounge Car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersummer

Service Attendant
I often like to have coffee and a little snack mid-morning. And, occasionally, mid-afternoon! What sort of sweet type pastries are sold in the lounge car? Doughnuts? Muffins? Any others? And, are they any good? Who makes them?

One of the more popular snacks in the lounge car are the Cinnamon Roll Muffins - The Attendant will usually willingly heat them for a few seconds in the microwave for you.

There are also some nice large cookies that are sold in the Lounge cars as well, which I've always heard good reviews about as well.

wintersummer, if you like a good fresh pastry by all means take your own. Amtrak lounges/cafes have stuff you could get from any vending machine, plastic packaged. Unless you like your goodies warm: the lounge/cafe people will warm up the stuff you buy from them, but are not allowed to do it for food you bring aboard. You'll probably hear an announcement to this effect at some point.

i say you won't be hungry for snacks after the dining car meals. coffee is always available in the daytime in the sleepers. if things are the same as the last time we rode, the wine and cheese in the afternoon is a good snack of cheese and crackers whether or not you partake of the wine and the giant fresh, hot cookies the attendant brings through the sleeper in the evening can be saved for the next day as i(who love cookies)have always been too full to eat one then.

giant fresh, hot cookies the attendant brings through the sleeper in the evening can be saved for the next day as i(who love cookies)have always been too full to eat one then.
Yarrow - great idea! I will save my evening cookie for the next day!

Which trains offer wine,cheese and cookies?

In all my travels I have never had this service in a sleeper.

Which trains offer wine,cheese and cookies?In all my travels I have never had this service in a sleeper.
Both the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder now offer a wine and cheese tasting exclusively to passengers riding in a sleeper. The actual event does not take place in the sleeper though. Traditionally on the CS it's done in the Parlour Car assuming that one is available. Otherwise it's done in the dining car between meals, which is also where it's done on the EB.

giant fresh, hot cookies the attendant brings through the sleeper in the evening can be saved for the next day as i(who love cookies)have always been too full to eat one then.
Yarrow - great idea! I will save my evening cookie for the next day!
That's assuming that you actually get them.

I didn't see any of those cookies during my trip last June. :(

I also wish that Amtrak would bring back the chocolate chip cookies that they used to hand out on the Silver Service a few years back. They were the best, even though they weren't cooked on the train.

we have always gotten cookies(last time was last november) though i have found you have to be in your sleeper when the attendant comes with the cookies. last trip eastbound there were a lot left over which the attendant gave us next morning so we were supplied with cookies in the nice little amtrak cookie bags for the rest of the trip. doesn't hurt to ask the attendant if they still do the cookies.

I won't have a problem at all saying to the attendent "I hear from my seasoned Amtrak buddies that there are often cookies in the evening. Will we have some of those delicious cookies tonight?". I might just get double cookies!

I won't have a problem at all saying to the attendant "I hear from my seasoned Amtrak buddies that there are often cookies in the evening. Will we have some of those delicious cookies tonight?". I might just get double cookies!
I'm sure you are going to have one heck of a report for the group when you get back. I can hardly wait!!

MrFSS - Just curious...what makes you say this? :rolleyes: I'm just trying to figure out where I'll post my, oh say maybe, 700 photos! (oh, and I had to buy a new camera for this trip, also!)

MrFSS - Just curious...what makes you say this? :rolleyes: I'm just trying to figure out where I'll post my, oh say maybe, 700 photos! (oh, and I had to buy a new camera for this trip, also!)
I've been following all your great questions. You will be one of the most prepared people I've seen recently to take a trip (which is a good thing) so I think you'll have a great trip and a great report for the forum when you get back home.
We love picture links, too!!!

I think I have a tendency to be overly prepared at times. It's partly because of my profession (project manager for health care), where I have the plan, but then also plan B, plan C, and on-and-on. If I know enough, I'll be completely ready for any thing that happens along the way. I tend to not leave things to chance. This makes it sound like I'm not prepared to kick back and relax during the trip. That's not the case. I just want to make sure that I get every bit of enjoyment from the trip and that I don't miss a thing! And I want to make sure that I listen to all of you and attempt to make the best of any parts of train travel that are less-than-optimal. Thanks so very much for all these helpful suggestions. My husband is already asking me what train we can take next....and we haven't even done our first train trip!

I really like the apple cinnamon muffins. I usually buy several to take home with me whenever I ride Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back