What To Do In Chicago For 5 Hrs???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Folks:Leaving Memphis 8-27-05 on City of New Orleans up to Chicago for trip on the EB.But have about 5 hours in Chicago.What are the sights close to the station to see in this time period?Thanks for all of your help!

If the sky is clear and not hazy, it is well worth the trip and $'s to go to the top of the Sears Tower. Great views of the Amtrak and Metra yards just south of CUS, you can catch trains leavinf from both ends of CUS and the old CNW station. As well as great views of the city. The tower is just a couple of blocks east of CUS. Can't miss it.

Here is a typical view from when I was there in May.

sears.jpg

That would be a great experience, the Sears Tower. It is always fun just to walk over to state street and maybe go to Marshall Fields Dept. Store. You can also take a quick ride on the "L" in the loop area or up to the Merchandise Mart.

But for five hours, the State Street/Michigan Ave walking tour is fun.

MrFSS: How old is that picture of the yards south of US? Di I see an E unit staring back?

MrFSS: How old is that picture of the yards south of US? Di I see an E unit staring back?
I took this picture in May of 2005. It was a beautiful day, as you can see. I can't comment on the units. Wish I knew. Maybe someone with more expertise would know.

Tom

If I had to guess, it's an F7, probably a corporate or private unit pulling a couple of private cars. It also appears to have white flags on the front end indicating its a special of some kind. Union Station never dissapoints you does it?

Midland Valley said:
If the free trolly goes as far south as the MSI that would be great. I think there is also a bus route from US to the museum.
It doesn't.

I never did figure out where the express bus line for the MSI picked up, and blundered my way there, ending up walking a couple blocks. Going back, I took a bus and connected to the El, which was more interesting.

The Museum of Science and Industry is great, but in my opinion, you really need to spend at least a day there. There's SO much to do and see and after you figure in the time to get there and get back to the station, you really wouldn't have time to see much. I'd recommend just staying downtown and walking around. Grant Park and Millenium Park are really nice; lots of paths to walk on and various sculptures and things if you just want to relax. Of course you could visit the stores on Michigan Avenue and State Street. There are a few movie theatres downtown if you wanted to see a movie and you could also ride the El train for about $1.75 or so. Lots of nice restaurants too. I say just walk around downtown -- you'll find something to do.

The Sear's Tower really is great and worth the money. They have a bunch of interesting exhibits in the viewing area and of course the view is great (provided it's a nice day out.)

Also you might want to download this map:

http://www.yourcta.com/downloads/brochures...sightseeing.pdf

It is the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority's) Downtown Sightseeing Guide. It has the locations of lots of the major attractions, plus it's one of the best downtown Chicago maps I've found.

I agree. The State Street, Michigan Ave, Park/Fountain, Tower would be a fun few hours. The Museum of S&I is a long day especially if they ever get the Sub back on display.

Whenever I am in chicago, i can just stand on top of the bridge in the first page and just watch the trains roll by, and watch the crews work on and make up that days departures.

Guest said:
Whenever I am in chicago, i can just stand on top of the bridge in the first page and just watch the trains roll by, and watch the crews work on and make up that days departures.
Aloha

Think I agree with guest.

The Museum of Science and Industry is great but you much more time.!

Go to Millennium Park. It's between Randolph & Monroe along Michigan Ave. You can walk or take the 157 Streeterville bus from Union Station there and back. They just uncovered the Cloud Gate Sculpture. It's been covered for polishing from last fall. It's a new 24.5 acre park.

Back