what to do in Santa Barbara

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O

Conductor
Will be in Sta Barbara for about 4 hours w/o a car. Arriving by train so will be near the beach and I believe the pier. Is there anything else interesting in the area to see?

Thanks,

Dan

Will be in Sta Barbara for about 4 hours w/o a car. Arriving by train so will be near the beach and I believe the pier. Is there anything else interesting in the area to see?

Thanks,

Dan
With only 4 hours, I would recommend a walk up State Street (this is opposite direction of the ocean). This is a very pleasant street with lots of shops and restaurants.

If you wanted to take a taxi to the Mission (as it would be too far to walk) or a combo of the the local shuttle (only 25 cents or 50 cents) and then a bit of a walk, you could do a tour of that.

Santa Barbara is a lovely place. I second the walk up State Street, but you're also close to the beach and pier and could wander around there if you want to see the ocean. The mission is great but I also really loved the court house and that is closer to downtown. Details are here: http://www.santabarbaracourthouse.org/sbch/cdc/tours.htm

Enjoy your trip!

Yep, a one-block walk toward the water to Stearns Wharf is a nice way to kill about twenty minutes. There are a couple restaurants and an ice cream shop there, but as noted, there are many shops and eateries the other direction on State Street also. Enjoy SB!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good information on this topic but so far there has been no mention of a recommended restaurant(s) while visiting the area by foot. Any input on this would be appreciated. I am expecting to make a Surfliner trip to SBA within the next few weeks.

Good information on this topic but so far there has been no mention of a recommended restaurant(s) while visiting the area by foot. Any input on this would be appreciated. I am expecting to make a Surfliner trip to SBA within the next few weeks.
I had the very tasty seared ahi tuna at the FisHouse the last time that I was in Santa Barbara. It is an easy walk from the station down State St and then hang a left on Cabrillo. ;)

I had the very tasty seared ahi tuna at the FisHouse the last time that I was in Santa Barbara. It is an easy walk from the station down State St and then hang a left on Cabrillo. ;)
I have eaten there, too. Very good food for sure.

Have some seafood at the Harbor Restaurant on Stearns Wharf and then stop at the Santa Barbara Winery on Anacapa St. Plenty to do in this active town.

State Street is not too bad of a walk. If you don't feel like walking or if the weather is not favorable you can also use public transportation. They do have a Trolley Shuttle that runs in Downtown and on the Waterfront and as of this posting the fare is .50 for adults. Just another alternative if you see one and are in a bit of a rush.

http://www.sbmtd.gov/maps-and-schedules/waterfront-shuttle.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back