what to do in Spfld IL and Galesburg on van layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gercohen

Train Attendant
Planning a trip Dallas to Martinez on 22/5522/5 next summer. There are two hour layovers each in Springfield and Galesburg IL waiting for the 5522 van transfer from the TE to the CZ. Assuming things are on time, are there things to do within walking distance in either city if we can check our bags at each station during the layovers? I know there is a railroad museum in Galesburg

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't go wrong going to the big Lincoln Museum or the National Park site with his home in downtown Springfield. Two hours is not much time, but you would spend your layover well. I was there in July ( hot as blazes ) on a driving trip and am now reading books on President Lincoln and another on his wife, plus a 3 DVD set, purchased in Springfield.

In Springfield the Amtrak station is right in town. I have walked to both the new capital building and old capital building, both worth doing. You can also walk to the other RR station Lincoln left from to go to Washington, also worth the trip. You could walk to the Lincoln library/museum but you'd have very little time there and the admission is substantial [i believe the LBJ library/museum in Austin is the only one that has free admission]. There is no luggage check in the station however the agent has been willing to keep my bags behind the counter for me in the past. There is free wifi in the station. There are many places to eat around the square that contains the old capital. You won't have lunch provided by Amtrak.

The Galesburg station is also right in town. The RR museum has not been open when I've been there. No luggage check here either; I have safely left my bags in a corner a couple of times. You can walk into town - not much to see though. The public library is walking distance and there is free wifi there. You will be able to have dinner shortly after boarding the Zephyr.

:hi: Ive made this trip several times, the others pretty well summed up most of the tips but here's a few you might find useful? :unsure:

The female Agent in Springfiled is very friendly, as was said you can probably leave your bags behind the Counter there! Since Lunch doesnt start until #22 Leaves for Chicago, as was said there are several places to eat around the Governement Buildiungs, there are thousands of Stae Empployees in those Buildings! :lol:

The Van ride is through Cornfields on Interstates via Peoria, its an easy Drive (about an Hour and a Half), the Drivers are Retired Part-time Gentlemen who are Friendly and Good Drivers!! ^_^ The most Comfortable Place to ride in the 15 Passenger Van is the Front Seat or the Second Seat, the Back is a Little Cramped!Luggage is placed in the Back by the Back Door!

When you get to Galesburg, there are several Mom and Pop Eating Joints close to the Station (as well as a more Up-scaler Place across the Street(The Pack House??)and a Dollar Store is on the Main Street a Block away! Ive never seen the Rail Museum Open either, it closes in the Winter and has sort of Odd Hours but the Equipment and the Old Depot Building look like they are worth seeing if it's Open?? :unsure:

The two Stations are not Air-Conditioned so if it is Warm it may be Uncomfortable while waiting Inside but there are Benches and Tables Outside! The Zephyr is usually Late in Both Directions and the Same Van makes a Round -Trip from Springfield to Galesburg to Springfield to meet the Zephyrs(#5/#6) and the Chiefs(#3/#4) that come through Galesburg!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I went through Galesburg on the CZ in June, the conductor told me that the station agent knew volunteer(s) to call to come open the railroad museum. They are very proud of it and quite willing to show it if they have a little notice.

Jim in PDX

We are only forty five minutes from Galesburg. I can't say there is a lot to do there if you don't have a car. I think the railroad museum closes around four. We have never gone in it since we usually take the 5:30 train out. Springfield? I didn't know the train stopped in downtown. Yes the Lincoln Museum is awesome. Neat displays and they have a couple of "Disney" type shows there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back