What to expect on Empire Service NYP-NFL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GB Bari

Train Attendant
OK Amtrak afficianodos and experienced riders, my family wants to visit Niagara in late December and have planned travel dates of Saturday 12/27 from NY Penn to Niagara and return on Tuesday Dec. 30. ( :ph34r: <--wearing ski hat ...BRRR!)

The schedule is rather gruesome since we have to leave our respective starting points (New London CT and BWI Baltimore late the night before and sit in NY Penn for 4 or 5 hours before departing on the Maple leaf #63 at 7:15.

What kind of equipment and service shall we expect? We have 4 adults and 2 children ages 10 and 6. I plan to upgrade all 6 seats to Business Class on # 63 for the ~10 hour trip (assuming some delays). Also plan to upgrade to Bus Class for the return trip to NYP on #286.

Observations, comments, suggestions are encouraged and welcome!

Well of course that's a long way's off, so things can change by then. Having said that, first I'd tell you to book ASAP, first for price sake since you are traveling during a peak period. But also because 6 seats is already 1/3 of all the business class seats in the car. Currently all Empire service runs with Amfleet I cars, including the business class car. However the BC cars on these runs are the newly remodled Club-Dinette cars. They include the cafe in the middle of the car, tables on one end, and the BC seating on the other end.

The BC seating is faux-leather 2 & 1 seating, with a nice pitch, foot rest, calf rest, and electrical outlets at each seat.

Are you traveling to the Canadian side intially? I'm concerned because the Maple Leaf serves both the Nigara Falls stations in NY and Canada, while 286 only serves the NY Niagara Falls station. So you would be on your own to get across the border and out to the NY station.

OK Amtrak afficianodos and experienced riders, my family wants to visit Niagara in late December and have planned travel dates of Saturday 12/27 from NY Penn to Niagara and return on Tuesday Dec. 30. ( :ph34r: <--wearing ski hat ...BRRR!)
The schedule is rather gruesome since we have to leave our respective starting points (New London CT and BWI Baltimore late the night before and sit in NY Penn for 4 or 5 hours before departing on the Maple leaf #63 at 7:15.
First of all those are tough dates to take up 1/3 of the car even planning this far out. Personally, I would not subject children to an Amtrak all nighter~ you will be surprised how quickly they run out of steam. Personally, I would head to South Station and take the Lake Shore Limited, in business, feed them dinner after leaving Albany: even if the arrival time in Buffalo is late. Kids can adjust if they can sleep at the end of a trip. I don't know how old they are but you might have your hands full before you leave NYP if you take the trip as currently planned.

Well of course that's a long way's off, so things can change by then. Having said that, first I'd tell you to book ASAP, first for price sake since you are traveling during a peak period. But also because 6 seats is already 1/3 of all the business class seats in the car. Currently all Empire service runs with Amfleet I cars, including the business class car. However the BC cars on these runs are the newly remodled Club-Dinette cars. They include the cafe in the middle of the car, tables on one end, and the BC seating on the other end.
The BC seating is faux-leather 2 & 1 seating, with a nice pitch, foot rest, calf rest, and electrical outlets at each seat.

Are you traveling to the Canadian side intially? I'm concerned because the Maple Leaf serves both the Nigara Falls stations in NY and Canada, while 286 only serves the NY Niagara Falls station. So you would be on your own to get across the border and out to the NY station.
Thanks Alan. I plan to make my reservation at 12:01am on Jan. 27 since they won't accept reservations more than 11 mos in advance. Already tried and was told to call back on the 27th. Not sure if they will book the return trip on 12/30 then but if not, I will make that on Jan. 30th. We will visit the Canadian side one day while there but not by train. Already have passports.

I can appreciate Had8ley's concern for my grandkids but they are a military family and used to travelling long distances w/o stopping. They will be 10 and 6 in December and are well-behaved. Plus my wife always keeps them entertained. I was not in favor of this particular destination or schedule but I was out-voted.. <_<

From my research, it would seem best if we sit on the left side of the #63 train out of New York, yes? I am puzzled as to how the track winds west out of NYPenn and winds up in the trough parallel to 10th Avenue. Anyone have a track map showing that link? Also does the train have to wait for the Spuyten Duyvil swing bridge to close each time?

Al

From my research, it would seem best if we sit on the left side of the #63 train out of New York, yes? I am puzzled as to how the track winds west out of NYPenn and winds up in the trough parallel to 10th Avenue. Anyone have a track map showing that link? Also does the train have to wait for the Spuyten Duyvil swing bridge to close each time?
Al,

The left side is the best going north/westbound. Not only will you get views of the Hudson River, you'll also get views of the Erie Canal later on.

And no, the train generally does not have to wait for the Spuyten Duyvil bridge to swing close. In fact from what I've seen, it's usually closed, unless there is a boat approaching.

Here is a track map I found. It is not mine.

Right-click on the link and select Save As...

It is around 8.7MB.

http://www.richegreen.com/NYCTrackMapV3.pdf

This is the entire NYC Metro area including LIRR, MNRR, and Amtrak to RI.

Look on the left side to find Penn Station. Follow the pink and green line to Poughkeepsie.

Here is a track map I found. It is not mine.Right-click on the link and select Save As...

It is around 8.7MB.

http://www.richegreen.com/NYCTrackMapV3.pdf

This is the entire NYC Metro area including LIRR, MNRR, and Amtrak to RI.

Look on the left side to find Penn Station. Follow the pink and green line to Poughkeepsie.
Holy cow, that map is a gem.

Question—anyone know what's up with the abandoned stations on Amtrak's Empire connector track? What's the history there?

-Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back