What was EMD's design submitted to compete with the Genesis?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoboi

OBS Chief
What was EMD's design submitted to compete with the Genesis? Is it published? Has anyone seen it?

There was some testing done with, I believe, the F69PH? Amtrak tested two units, but ended up returning them. I believe the reason was they were AC traction and Amtrak wanted to stick with DC. Not sure where that fits in the timeline of going with the P40's.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, thanks for the leads.

This was apparently the submission:

htt-120.jpg

I am not sure that it is accurate to say that the F69PH was actually in the running when the P40 orders were placed. F69s were developed with funding from Amtrak as experimental units to gain experience with AC drive. They were the first manufactured from ground up AC drive diesel units in the western hemisphere. They ran in service with Amtrak on an experimental basis for a few years. They were then sidelined and stored away. before that they acted as power for the demonstration run of the X2000 and the ICE in non-electrified areas of the US.

Well they were built in June 1989 and loaned to Amtrak in 1990... so that's right in the timeline of testing of the Genesis which GE started building in 1992.

Well they were built in June 1989 and loaned to Amtrak in 1990... so that's right in the timeline of testing of the Genesis which GE started building in 1992.
Yes, but their development was not necessarily tied to an Amtrak order even though the timing lines up. I followed their development quite closely back then since they were the first serious AC drive development from the ground up in the US. Many did think that is what Amtrak would order, but they did not even meet one of the basic requirements in the Amtrak RFP which was that the engines must fit through the New York tunnels. F69's were too tall. For that matter the first engines that Amtrak acquired on almost an emergency basis from GE were not capable of fitting in those tunnels either. In addition the F69s proved to be particularly unreliable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back