whatever happend to the regional rail pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gratt

Lead Service Attendant
Two summers ago I had the chance to travel the country using a 30 western region rail pass. While I found the reservation system a pain (over the phone only) and the bucket system a bit of a rip-off it was still one the best trips of my life, and one I still rave to people about.

I would love the chance to do the same in the East or North East, but that pass has been unavailable for quite some time.

Is there a reason why Amtrak killed this program? Since they only allowed the seats for the lowest bucket and added a surcharge for anything above what exactly were they gaining by getting rid of it?

Years ago, they offered the North American Rail Pass - but it was not available to US or Canadian residents.
sad.gif
So after VIA Rail dropped out, they began the USA Rail Pass - and opened it to all!
smile.gif
I believe that's when they stopped the Regional passes to.

Years ago, they offered the North American Rail Pass - but it was not available to US or Canadian residents.
sad.gif
So after VIA Rail dropped out, they began the USA Rail Pass - and opened it to all!
smile.gif
I believe that's when they stopped the Regional passes to.

I don't think that was the case. I am an American citizen, and I do not have a foreign citizenship. I do remember the North American Rail Pass, and I think your right in that is when the USA rail pass came about, but the regional ones also then became open to all. Soon after that though, they dropped the regions and changed the USA Rail Pass from unlimited travel to segments. Thus turning it into little more than a glorified multi-city ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back