What's the shortest length you'll regularly ride Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done Glenview-Chicago a number of times (since, to be frank, Glenview is a nice change of scenery...I'll take a book and read while waiting for a return); I've even done CHI-GLN on Amtrak and then grabbed Metra back when I wanted to jam the run in between the Zephyr/Chief and the Cap heading east.

Don't usually use Amtrak for short distance travel, Its not economical. For instance a ticket to PHL runs about $40. I can get to 30th st station for less than $6 via SEPTA.
I actually use Amtrak all the time in SEPTA territory. EXT-PHL is about the same price ($6.50 each way) as SEPTA, way faster, and much nicer. Where are you going in septaland that its $40 on amtrak?

Don't usually use Amtrak for short distance travel, Its not economical. For instance a ticket to PHL runs about $40. I can get to 30th st station for less than $6 via SEPTA.
I actually use Amtrak all the time in SEPTA territory. EXT-PHL is about the same price ($6.50 each way) as SEPTA, way faster, and much nicer. Where are you going in septaland that its $40 on amtrak?
Wilmington, DE is $40+ if you don't book 14+ days in advance. S/he's probably traveling in the NEC either from DE or from NJ.

OAC-GAC just as a commute trip - maybe 30 miles. It gets me around the rush-hour traffic through Fremont, CA. I don't know if it necessarily gets me there faster (it will if there's an accident) but it's a lot less stressful than dealing with the traffic.

I have thrown in EMY-OKJ trips in as a multi-city. It's only 10 minutes. It's the same conductor every single time, which is kind of odd. He seems to only work that train while other conductors get moved around to different train numbers. Partially I do it to get extra AGR points, but it's also a nice place to stop for coffee.

NYP-MET $30 on 65/67 is my usual trip (since I often finish after last NJT for the night leaves). Doing it at least 5 times a month. allows me to avoid driving into NYC during rush hour and maintain my sanity (I would take NJT in), and allows also to keep my Select Executive status.

Strange, I posted a reply this morning - but now it's gone.

Anyway - I think that I mentioned I had looked into quick weekend getaways to Austin or San Antonio, but it still works out to be far cheaper to drive! Yup, even taking our least fuel efficient vehicle (Jeep Wrangler, 19 mpg) it's still less than the $52 per person round trip from CBR to SAS that I have found online.

I have been seriously considering joining the Veterans Advantage plan to save 15% on Amtrak bookings - and get added AGR points. If we like our upcoming "land cruise" well enough, I may be forced to do that for our next booking. I would easily save enough on a RT vacation boarding at CBR on the TE to CHI, and then the EB west to spend a couple of days at Glacier National Park, or just ride to the end and spend a day in Seattle or Portland. The 15% saved would cover the 5 year plan! And, I guess that I would also be able to save some scratch at the hotel we would have to book in CHI and maybe in Seattle or Portland.

I guess that I could also price some quickie overnighters from CBR to DAL. I know that there are some inexpensive, yet decent (enough) hotels within walking distance of the station there. I've been meaning to just go to FTW and take a round trip jaunt on the TRE just for giggles. I guess that I could do that. CBR to DAl and then back to FTW (on TRE) for an overnight, and then FTW to CBR the next day. Hmm. Might price that one next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Points runs out of Cleveland are a bit out of my realm (at 2 am in the morning :p ), but I do take the Altoona to Harrisburg and back on the Pennsylvanian whenever our group has it biannual railfan trip to Cresson, Pa. And Hiawathas to Glenview and back are also nice short and cheap runs.

I thought about running to Omaha and back on the zephyr, but leaving Lincoln at 6:30am (by the current schedule shift) and coming back at midnight seems not worth the points when it would cost less in gas to drive :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back