What's up with SWC 4?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSFNewton

Train Attendant
Does anyone know why the SWC eastbound is running consistently late, especially starting around Raton Pass? It strikes me that they're having a hard time maintaining their schedule, even when arriving early into ABQ. Track work somewhere?

More like no track work. BNSF has taken all their overhead traffic off the line, there's not much local shipping, and BNSF does not want to pay to keep the line at 79MPH standard. Rail is about at the end of it's useful life, all jointed, and there's need for ballast and tie work also. The railroad basically told Amtrak they could either move over to the Transcon (main southern route), pay to maintain the line to higher speed, or accept 40MPH running which is all BNSF feels they need for limited local use. The track has been rough for several years now, and if memory serves me right, it was just earlier this year that an inspection run at track speed by the railroad resulted in a number of significant slow orders. I'm not sure if Amtrak has revised the schedule to take the lower speeds into account yet, but I definitely have not heard anything about funding to improve the track. Not holding my breath exactly either.

At the Trains open house a year or so ago, several people asked Boardman if there was any plan to shift to the Transcon, and he acted like that discussion was news to him. There have been several discussions over the past months on this board on what may happen, the virtues of a reroute, etc. If it does move, it'd be a shame to say goodbye to semaphores and Raton Pass, but on the flip side, it'd be fun to see a true high speed freight line from a Sightseer lounge.

Is there any map of this Transcon? or is it an existing Amtrak route? I've read up on here about the Transcon but I still don't know where exactly it is/goes.

More like no track work. BNSF has taken all their overhead traffic off the line, there's not much local shipping, and BNSF does not want to pay to keep the line at 79MPH standard...
Thanks, MikeM. I half suspected this. I, too, have heard the stories over the years of Amtrak taking the southern route. Sometimes I get the impression from Amtrak staff that this is coming soon, only to see nothing happen. It will be interesting to see a revised schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back