What's up with the Cascades to Vancouver?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TransitGeek

Service Attendant
I've posted before about our planned trip this summer, and one leg we want to do is PDX-Vancouver on the Cascades service. There's one train a day, #516, that runs the full route rather than forcing a bus transfer at Seattle (which is a no-no on a USA Rail Pass, because that's a waste of a segment on a bus).

In the most recent timetable (p. 103 for those playing along at home), 516 doesn't have any times listed for stops past Bellingham, WA- and there's a notice below the timetable that says "Operation of Trains 513 and 516 to and from Vancouver, BC is subject to change- consult Amtrak." However, on amtrakcascades.com it lists arrival time in Vancouver at 22:50. Amtrak.com is also currently taking reservations for 516 from Portland to Vancouver for this June.

Anyone know what's up?

At the time the timetable was put together, there was still uncertainty over whether that train would continue to serve Vancouver, BC. Rest assured, the train does in fact operate to/from Vancouver, BC.

The issue was Canadian federal officials wanting Amtrak/WSDOT to pay for customs/immigration services at Vancouver. Under pressure from BC local and provincial officials and others, Canadian federal authorities relented, and, at least for now, are not charging Amtrak/WSDOT those costs.

I've posted before about our planned trip this summer, and one leg we want to do is PDX-Vancouver on the Cascades service. There's one train a day, #516, that runs the full route rather than forcing a bus transfer at Seattle (which is a no-no on a USA Rail Pass, because that's a waste of a segment on a bus).

In the most recent timetable (p. 103 for those playing along at home), 516 doesn't have any times listed for stops past Bellingham, WA- and there's a notice below the timetable that says "Operation of Trains 513 and 516 to and from Vancouver, BC is subject to change- consult Amtrak." However, on amtrakcascades.com it lists arrival time in Vancouver at 22:50. Amtrak.com is also currently taking reservations for 516 from Portland to Vancouver for this June.

Anyone know what's up?
The Amtrak National timetable went to print about the same time as the Washington State Department of Transportation was working with the Canadian Border Services Agency regarding the proposed $1,500 a day fee for the second Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver, B.C. The CBSA was going to impose the fee which would have cancelled the service because there is no funding. But, at the 11th hour, the Canadian government decided to waive the fee for another year. By that time, the timetable had already been printed and Amtrak deleted the second train service from the schedule. Another timetable won't be printed until spring, so refer to AmtrakCascades.com or Amtrak.com for current schedules.

Thanks,

Vickie Sheehan

Washington State Department of Transportation

Vickie-

Thanks for the informative and official reply. If it does come down to cutting one of the Cascades departures, I'll toss in my $0.02 and say that whichever train remains should run the full route PDX-VAC.

Vickie-

Thanks for the informative and official reply. If it does come down to cutting one of the Cascades departures, I'll toss in my $0.02 and say that whichever train remains should run the full route PDX-VAC.
The original train, the 510-517 pair (widely known as the "first train"), was essentially grandfathered in and wasn't and isn't subject to the proposed CBSA fees. It is a morning SEA-VAC (510) and evening VAC-SEA return (517). The timing doesn't really permit a run to PDX because it would have to leave PDX at like 4 am and wouldn't get to PDX until like 2am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back