What's your "home" station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well even the current trains from Hackettstown say that in their descriptions and timetables. However, what they mean is that one needs to transfer from a diesel based train to an electric train either at Dover or Montclair Heights.

Perhaps if the Cutoff does go into service and is very popular, maybe you'd see NJT either get dual mode engines or switch engines at Dover. Just like Amtrak used to do at New Haven.

Amfleet said:
For you New Jersey railfans is it possible to travel from New York to Philadelphia just by NJ Transit and SEPTA?
We did this last Christmas time when my girlfriend and I went to Philly. The other great thing is that NJT agents at NYP sell SEPTA tickets as well so you don't have to buy them on the train.

AlanB said:
Well even the current trains from Hackettstown say that in their descriptions and timetables. However, what they mean is that one needs to transfer from a diesel based train to an electric train either at Dover or Montclair Heights.
Perhaps if the Cutoff does go into service and is very popular, maybe you'd see NJT either get dual mode engines or switch engines at Dover. Just like Amtrak used to do at New Haven.
Or NJ Transit and its predecessors used to do at South Amboy before the Catenary was extended to Long Branch on the NJCL. I would like to see it electrified though.

Also has anybody heard of locomotives with the dual-mode technology for catenary as opposed to third rail?

Viewliner said:
Okay, Now I'm confused.  The NJT Page doesn't say for sure that they would or wouldn't electrify it, as this is only a proposal.

Click Here for the NJ TRANSIT Page on this.

The map also seems to show an extension of the line (to Hackettstown)further confusing me.

Click Here. for the map.

As if it could ever make it to Chicago, or see Amtrak Service (Wishful thinking) I think it would/should stop at [under this propsal]:

NYP

Newark Broad Street

Maplewood or Summit

Dover

Mount Pocono or East Stroudsburg

Scranton

(the further...)

4-5 Years isn't so long off, so I guess assuming you're right.

Also if you check the NJT Page one other candidate project is to Electrify Diesel Lines.
First of all, my feeling is that any further extension of electrification beyond Montclair & Great Notch on the former Boonton Line should go to Dover. Remember that the now Montclair-Boonton Line and the electrified ex-DL&W Morristown Line merge once again (after splitting at Roseville Ave in Newark) at Denville. Thus diesel trains that run west of Montclair run under the wires once more between Denville and Dover, where the Morristown Line's electrification ends. So they would only have to electrify up to the junction in Denville.

But as I and someone else from this board saw in person a few weeks ago, electrification might be possible, but double tracking the line to support more frequent service would be difficult without relocating fairly new parking lots and platforms and other things that would block a second track.

One major point in the discussion of the restored service to the Poconos over the Lackawanna Cutoff is that it has not yet been decided who will be the operator. One assumes NJ TRANSIT because they do own the tracks as far as Port Morris, and could operate this as an extension of their existing service on the Morristown Line. AMTRAK has been suggested as another operator, because of the distance involved. While no doubt some commuters would befefit from it, New York City area to Scranton is "intercity", isn't it?

What has been almost surely decided is that such a service will have Hoboken as its eastern terminus, which would rule out dual mode locomotives, and any further electrification over the Cutoff, unless as has been mentioned there is an engine change. I don't think a time-consuming move would be initiated in this day and age. Amtrak just got rid of their engine change in New Haven for most of their trains, and NJT did so on the NJCL.

Stations within New Jersey? I would say Hoboken (unless dual-mode locomotives are used), Newark-Broad, Summit (because it already has high-level platforms and is a transfer point for the Gladstone Branch), Morristown (large town and popular stop), Dover (high-level platforms, end of electrification, possible train change point for Hackettstown service and Montclair-Boonton Line).

The train won't ever return to Chicago over the remnants of the Erie Lackawanna. However, it very well could be extended into New York State's Southern Tier. New York State is looking at rail service to Binghamton, Elmira, Corning, Ithaca. etc. The route via the Cutoff and Scranton has been proven to be the better of two routes --- the other being an extension of the existing service to Port Jervis basically running parallel to Route 17/I-86.

I agree about having the Montclair/Booton line electrified is a good idea. The length of the electrification made the connection almost pointless. I guess electrification could/should go:

Great Notch-Denville Junct., so others on that line can benefit from a One Seat Ride to NYP and then with the Lackawanna Extension.

Also, are there any plans to even operate limited MidTOWN DIRECT Weekend Service on this line? If noise is a problem couldn't a three car Arrow MU consist be used for NYP Service every Two hours?

WOW!!!

Did I start a popular thread or what!!!

I'm 60 miles from Green River and about 115 miles from Grand Junction!

If anybody has seen the January 2002 issue of TRAINS, with the UTAH RAILS article, that nice foldout of Bootlegger Canyon is a place I hike to a few times a year, as I live in Moab, Utah.

I used to live on the C&NW in Chicago, but I m pretty sure I'll NEVER move back east!!! AMEN!!!

I would go to NY Penn....via subway..#1 direct to 34th st...I'm also

close to Yonkers NY sta, for Empire service....15 minutes by car. :)

Viewliner said:
Also, are there any plans to even operate limited MidTOWN DIRECT Weekend Service on this line? If noise is a problem couldn't a three car Arrow MU consist be used for NYP Service every Two hours?
I know that NJT made an agreement with the town of Montclair that they would not initiate weekend service, nor increase the number of daily trains for a certain period of time. I think that I remember that it was for a year, but it could be longer I'm not sure. However the reality is that there probably will be a demand for service from at least Montclair Heights to NYP. If nothing else the students at Montclair State University could benifit greatly from weekend service.

WAS -> BWI

I usually take Amtrak from Union Station to Baltimore/Washington Int'l airport everytime I reserve Southwest flight and of course, my return flight (BWI -> WAS). I look up the departure monitor making sure that train is on-time for its departure and buy the ticket from the quik-ticket machine. Then I walk to the conductor to make sure I'm on the right train. (By the way, I am deaf and I could not hear the loud speaker announcment and there's no electric sign at BWI platform. oh well. <_< )

---pagano

My home station is Bakersfield, California in the San Joaquin Valley...which usually means a trip over the grapevine on the Amtrak bus to Los Angeles Union Station...unless I am riding the train north to San Francisco which is about a 5 hour trip!

take care,amtrakrgrl :D

Guest_amtrakrgrl said:
My home station is Bakersfield, California in the San Joaquin Valley...which usually means a trip over the grapevine on the Amtrak bus to Los Angeles Union Station...unless I am riding the train north to San Francisco which is about a 5 hour trip! take care,amtrakrgrl :D
Bakersfield! No woder you are taking so many trains trips - just to get out of there! (just kidding :lol: ). If anyone buys a one way ticket from Martinez to Bakersfield, though, we seriously do ask them why... :unsure:

Viewliner said:
If noise is a problem couldn't a three car Arrow MU consist be used for NYP Service every Two hours?
Viewliner,

I believe that NJT is trying to eventually phase out the MU's. They are referred to internally as "junk", and that's the only word I can use on this board. NJT people just don't like them -- they get dirty easily, they have a bad odor even though they are electric, and they rattle at high speeds along the supposedly smooth Northeast Corridor.

You are already seeing a move towards trains that will operate with a locomotive in front or back (push-pull) as opposed to electric MU's. The next order which will be NJT's first bilevel coaches will of course still be locomotive hauled.

I don't think the EMU's are any quieter than the locomotives and the coaches they pull or push. Either way, trains have to blow their horns for crossings and stations (unless it's been agreed between NJT and the towns that they refrain at certain places).

Superliner Diner said:
Viewliner said:
If noise is a problem couldn't a three car Arrow MU consist be used for NYP Service every Two hours?
Viewliner,

I believe that NJT is trying to eventually phase out the MU's. They are referred to internally as "junk", and that's the only word I can use on this board. NJT people just don't like them -- they get dirty easily, they have a bad odor even though they are electric, and they rattle at high speeds along the supposedly smooth Northeast Corridor.

You are already seeing a move towards trains that will operate with a locomotive in front or back (push-pull) as opposed to electric MU's. The next order which will be NJT's first bilevel coaches will of course still be locomotive hauled.

I don't think the EMU's are any quieter than the locomotives and the coaches they pull or push. Either way, trains have to blow their horns for crossings and stations (unless it's been agreed between NJT and the towns that they refrain at certain places).
According to my NJT book, its b/c of high maintenence costs.

I find the Arrow III's on the M&E Quiter overall (horn too), but less comfortable. My point being that if they use them on the weekends, with the bell instead if necessary, noise isn't as big an issue.

Hi JB,

I agree that there is not much reason, aesthetically, to come to Bakersfield, not to mention our poor air quality.

I grew up in Washington state where it is green and beautiful and would go back up there in a heartbeat if it were not for my family living in Bakersfield. Home is wherever my family is and so I live in Bakersfield! LOL!!

But I do love to get away on the train!!

take care, amtrakgrl :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back