Whats your plan to save Amtrak??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanNebraska

Service Attendant
Here's mine, tell me what you think.

70 Billion to build a new 40,000 miles 70 to 125 mph quality track network. (roughly 1.5 million per mile of track, on average) this would also cover about 10 billion for bridges, new signals and maintence facilities. Obviously there would certian instances where end cost wouldnt justify the means and would have to switch to fright lines temporally, maffot tunnel for instance.

Roughly 7 to 10 thousand miles of new High Speed Rail track. this could come at a cost of 21 to 30 billion at 3 million per track mile. Much of this Track would be capable of 160 to 190 mph. (this also cover rebuilding the northeast corridoor for faster rail travel) f

10 Billion to upgrade and more build stations and maintence facilities for the new high speed track system then stations on the 70 to 125 mile per hour routes.

40 to 50 billion buy new equiment, new Superliner 3's for the long haul fleet, new Amfleet 2 cars for short haul routes, and new High Speed TGV type trains for the Super Express high speed routes. (im guessing about 30 million per train set on average)

The Superliner 3 would travel anywhere from 70 to 110 depending on track limits.

The Amfleet 2 would travel at 70 to 125 mph, depending on track conditions.

The new TGV type HSR trains would travel at 150 to 190 mph(on average, these would be on Super Express routes that would differ from Acela express lines, see below).

The Acela Class HSR would be taken from the northeast corridoor and placed on routes that would be good for 150 mph high speed service. These lines would be included in the 7,000 to 10,000 figure but wouldnt be the Super Express routes. Cheaper Acela class trains would be added to this fleet as needed. Since the track is the same, it could be upgraded to Super Express if the traveling populous was large enough.

Roughly this would come to .... 149 to 160 billion. 700 dollars per american at most.

This would also conincied with a increase in subsidy to 15 to 20 billion per year, depending on Amtrak's replacement needs. (about 60 to 80 dollars per american per year)

expensive yes, but needed

:)

what about the jobs? Are u thinking about getting rid of jobs or add more jobs ? I am just shy of 2 years before I get vested and so my goal is work until I leave .

oh many jobs would be added as well. basically amtrak would double in size, they would just own the track, i would say about 800 train sets operating daly

Multiply your per track mile costs by at least a factor of 10. Figure passenger-class (90mph), grade separated track at about $10 to $20 million per mile, depending on location and terrain (that's $20 to $40 million per mile for a two-track line), and true high-speed track (TGV-class 300kph) at about $20 to $40 million per track-mile. The cost of building passenger railroad track, including all the signal, communications, and dispatching stuff, is very, very expensive.

well on revised cost i would est. that it would cost about 1.5 trillion dollars for the track, expensive, YES ...

the question though would become, what are we going to do when the black stuff runs out? hydrogen, RIGHT, thats about century off. we need a rail system

The decdicated passenger rail system needs to be built. obviously, our government doesnt have hte budget to build this in a year, neither does industry have hte capacity, it would have to be built over a 15 to 20 year period.

Amtrak's subside would be increased to 15 billion per year (to cover station inprovement and operating cost) and would also be given 100 billion dollars, that would be placed in the equiment fund, to buy the trains and new equipment as the need arises.

of course when you campare this to per capita spending it probably wouldnt be far off from europe or japan.

its also well to note that revenue on the TGV system paid for the tracks.

sound a bit more refined?

of course i have heard so much conflicting reports on how much rail cost. anywhere from 40 million to 1 million per mile .... ahhhhh someone clairfy this, rail is suppose to be less expensive that 4 lane limited access highway... so the lower number make more sense

RailFanNebraska said:
of course i have heard so much conflicting reports on how much rail cost. anywhere from 40 million to 1 million per mile .... ahhhhh someone clairfy this, rail is suppose to be less expensive that 4 lane limited access highway... so the lower number make more sense
In the long run Rail is cheaper to maintain then any other form of transportation but the inital startup is very exspensive. :)

RailFanNebraska said:
If a railroad was just grading and track structure, then a rural two track rail line would be about the same cost as a four lane rural limited-access highway (about $10 million per mile green-field). But a railroad, and especially a passenger railroad, is much more than just the civil work. There are a whole range of infrastructure items that go into a working passenger rail line that are way beyond just earthwork, track, ties and ballast. A modern passenger railroad is a complex technological machine, and all that technology cost lots and lots of money to build and then to run.

Let me give you an example. In suburban Philadelphia, SEPTA (the local transit agency) is planning to restore passenger service on about three miles of existing but substandard track. This is one track for three miles with grading and electric traction catenary already in place. They need to replace the track structure (ballast, ties, rails), improve drainage, install new signals, rewire the cat, and build a station. Price tag: $52 million. That is nearly $20 million per track-mile for a one-track line that is mostly in place right now.

The bottom line is that a passenger railroad is not a cheap installation. It is the right transportation answer in some cases, and the wrong answer in other cases. The neat trick is to figure which is which.

well if we built the system over 20 years it would cost 75 billion a year, something the united states could easly afford.

Someone is just going to have to convince congress that we one, need to build this system now, and get people off the highways, this would drive down the cost gas if less people where driveing cars, (supply and demand), while we still can afford 75 billion a year to do it.

If we wanted to speed it up to 15 years it would only be 100 billion a year.

Someone is going to have to tell them that the magical black stuff called oil isnt going to last forever. We can always run trains, either on biodiesel(ok so the train exhaust would smell like a french fry) or electricty.

I mean, would i like something like this built? absolutely, sadly i dont think it will ever happen

I just happened to notice and took note of the "title" of this thread. I must say all this hypothetical and mostly factual info is great if we are speaking in terms of upgrading, expanding, and maintaining an adequte rail infrastructure (passenger and freight) itself.

I will go as far to say the freight railroads are already in the process of expanding their networks. A friend of mine sent an e-mail to me regarding some proposed plans by CSX to purchase some sizable land for an intermodel hub in South/Central FL around the Winter Haven area if my memory serves me correct. With that in mind big money is and will continue to be spent for projects like this one all across the nation.

However, the main point of my posting here is to put in perspective the title of this thread, and hereby will offer my thoughts below.

When it comes to having a plan to save Amtrak, I wish we could venture into the fantasy world of what we can and could do with Amtrak. However, we have to remember Amtrak was created to fail in the first place. This is just my two cents for what it is worth, now. For the sake of job oportunities, Amtrak didn't fail within the shortened timespan it was given. And it has continued to operate as so. I will say this again, as I have said it before, when the government creates a program (or in this case a for profit business), there is a timeline laid out for the operation of the program. Amtrak was created and has been continued on to provide jobs for those who would have been out of work when the railroads gave up their passenger trains in the 1970s. Otherwise there would have been a lot of railroad workers draining the RRB of millions of dollars of unemployment and other benefits leaving next to nothing for retirement purposes. If that were to occur, then it hurts everyone who takes part in the RR retirment including freights. I won't ramble on with the little details, but I hope I can illustrate again what is happening!

There is NO plan to save Amtrak unless there is some eleventh hour decision made! They are starting out first by drastically reducing payroll in any area they can! This is to continue to lower the amount of employees to be concerned with things such as benefits, etc. With the employees who survive (those who don't go out on disability, retire early, etc) these cuts, then the labor agreements will be renegotiated. They are going to cut all ammenties on board the trains! These include sleeper and dining car services! This is Congressional mandate, meaning it is LAW and there is nothing or no one who is gonna be able to change it in time IMHO! Once they cut all the services, and truncate routes among other things, they will (if they haven't already done so by then) adjust ticket prices to a point to where the average Joe can't make a train trip (especially long distance ones) economically feasable! This means they may take away monthly passes, special fares, etc. Once again, another Congressional mandate! Whatever is left after all this, will either survive as Amtrak the intercity long/short distance commuter service, or be broken up and operated by private enterprise with government subsidy! I hope I am wrong, but all is in line so far as what I have been observing the last three years or more now!

I wish there was a clear and concise plan in place to save Amtrak itself as we know it, but sadly I don't see it happening. The company is in "shut down" mode as we speak right now! In order to reorganize, reform, (or whatever you wanna call it) etc, it is to a point it has to be torn down and built on a new foundation from the start. This is what is occuring right now with Amtrak and our nation's intercity rail service provider! Effects are going to be felt nationwide within the company with its services, passengers, and employees. I know one thing this time around! In the past when they have "reformed" Amtrak, things have changed and then returned to somewhat they used to be. I personally don't believe that will be the case this time! There was a "hatchet man" hired to complete the tasks of this situation with Amtrak. My good friend and I noticed sometime back a job posting listed for a position in the FRA where their primary responsibilities are to oversee and implement bankruptsy and shut down procedures. I don't know of any other railroad which is in major financial trouble than the one for which I am employed! Unless there is an eleventh hour decision, this is all gonna be over in the coming couple of years if not sooner. I wouldn' t be surprised if definitely by the end of W's administration! Once again, don't bring up Congress as they are the ones who mandated these reforms to Amtrak! Bush signed them into law and "that's all she wrote" now! Anyway, I am sorry and hate to rain on the parade here regarding the threads title. This is just the way I see it now. OBS...

The FRA has been trying to kill amtrak for sometime, its things like the Acela weighting twice as much as it needs to be, so its breaks fail. the fra likes to say that they have made railroad travel the safest in the united states in mass transit, but all this regulation is just driving amtrak into the ground.

Amtrak also makes up more of its operating loss that ANY other national railroad in the world.

Amtrak is just being attacked from all sides, democrats outside of the northeast dont care much for it, republicans oppose it on principal and the fact that big freight like Union Pacific really wants to make kill trains like the sunset limited. (i heard a joke once, sunset limited is suppose to have priorioty of freight trains, tell that to the the sunset limited passengers that and you will get a pretty good laugh).

Amtrak from the very beginning has been a underfunded disaster of a railroad. pretty much the amtrak board (the amtrak distruction team as i call them) is not approved by the senate, because they dont care, the passenger rail lobby isnt powerful enough (national assiociation of railroad passengers, with only 16000 members).

and they want to break up amtrak into several different companys? WHY? so i cant get a national ticket anymore, i mean just look at the british example, to go a 60 mile journey you have to buy several different tickets and board about three different trains operated by three different companys. its pointless.

AHHHHHH

it just never ends, hopefully the amtrak funding crisis next year wont be so bad as it was this year. (late in the year when the debate kill amtrak or not) :angry: :( :(

Here's some fodder for discussion from the United Rail Passenger Alliance:

"http://www.unitedrail.org

Volume 3, Number 4

1) As said before, those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

Read what URPA Vice President and guiding light Andrew Selden has to say

about Amtrak’s latest misadventure regarding dining car service on long

distance trains.

By Andrew Selden

Amtrak is about to embark on another doomed project. The company in the

past has often tried to starve itself into prosperity by cutting costs

without sufficient regard to the adverse effect on revenues (Tri-weekly

trains, limited advertising, closed stations, and elimination of checked

baggage service, all come to mind.). This time, in a troubling

innovation, Amtrak plans to starve not itself, but its customers in its

quest for prosperity.

As famous historian and philosopher George Santayana observed nearly a

hundred years ago, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to

repeat it."

Amtrak has been down this road before. It didn't work then. It won't work

this time, either.

In 1980, Amtrak was reeling from Congress' refusal two years earlier to

allow its annual subsidy to creep up over a billion dollars. In 1979, it

had tried to "cut costs" by eliminating five entire routes, but to no

avail – the annual losses continued their inexorable climb. By 1980,

attention focused on Amtrak's onboard food and beverage services, a

perennial favorite target of critics ignorant of the nature of Amtrak's

business.

The dining cars are labor-intensive operations with a sharply limited

revenue potential because of the limited number of passengers able to use

any given train (Because management also tried to "control costs" by

limiting the number of cars operated on the trains, hence the number of

seats and berths that could be sold on any given trip.). Diners and

lounge cars are, nevertheless, an indispensable element of the backbone

of Amtrak's key business, the long distance trains, for this simple

reason (which the critics, often government accountants, have never

grasped): the typical, average journey on an Amtrak long distance train

is more than 600 miles, and in the west more than 800 miles. That trip

spans 11 to 18 hours, which encompasses two, three or even four meal

periods. Many trips are even longer, during which the passenger is

utterly dependent upon Amtrak for all of her and her family's sustenance

over periods of up to three days. Take away the food, or reduce it to

inedibility, and the passenger will respond in the only rational manner

possible: she won't come back for a second trip.

For discretionary passengers (And, everyone has a choice: to travel by

Amtrak, or another mode, or to forgo a trip.), there can be little appeal

to a trip spanning one to three days with no serious meals. Indeed,

attractive dining service is often cited as a principal attractant to

travel by rail.

This is much less of a concern with Amtrak's many short corridor markets,

where the average trip length is just one to two hours, and providing

more than a snack and beverage service is superfluous. But for the long

distance trains, which produce about half of all of Amtrak's

transportation output and ticket revenue (on about one fifth of the

annual subsidy), attractive meal service is a vital necessity.

In 1981, Amtrak challenged these truths with a scheme championed by one

Rima Parkhurst, the hapless Vice President of Customer Service at the

time, to feed long distance passengers by serving reheated, preplated

tray meals. Pay in advance, wait for the food tray to show up. Ms.

Parkhurst promised the quality of "airline First Class standard" meals.

She was wrong. The food was awful. The service was awful. Dining car

employees were totally embarrassed and dispirited. Tips vanished. Soon,

the passengers started to vanish, as well – it didn't happen overnight,

because long distance trips are infrequent enough for most passengers

that the experience of the micro-waved airline-style meals had to wait

for the next trip after the experiment was launched. But it took only one

trip, and even rail loyalists started staying away, in droves. Word of

mouth, the most powerful of all consumer education channels, was

devastating.

Within less than a year, Ms. Parkhurst was gone, and so were the tray

meals. A compromised level of real meals, with real food cooked on board

(if not always cooked to order), was reinstituted, and traffic began a

slow rebound.

The failed point of this was to get the cost of the diner down by

slashing staff on Superliner diners from 11 people to three people, and

single level diners from eight employees to three. After the disaster was

reversed, the staff was rebuilt up to a level of five to nine, depending

on the dining car.

There were earlier examples from which Amtrak could have learned, but did

not. In the late 1950s, as part of its designed campaign to drive away

passengers from a service that it wanted to eliminate, the notorious

Southern Pacific Railroad replaced its dining car service on the Sunset

Limited (New Orleans-Los Angeles) with lounge cars equipped with

Automat-type sandwich and snack vending machines. It worked – passengers

abandoned the Sunset Limited with vigor. Other railroads simply

eliminated food service cars altogether. That worked, too. Costs were

cut, but so was patronage and the tremendous revenue streams they

represented, and soon so were the trains altogether.

None of this is to say that Amtrak should pretend that it is 1955 again

(or even 1975), and try to offer a five-star fine dining experience in

which its customers are plainly not interested. Most passengers today are

accustomed to modern standards of what in the dining industry is referred

to as "fast casual" or "casual" dining. Think of an Applebee's, Denny's

or Olive Garden restaurant. Families are welcome and comfortable.

Business travelers can get a decent meal, and at dinner enjoy it with a

decent wine. Single diners are accommodated respectfully. Food is cooked

to order, on site. Staff is trained to be accommodating, polite and

respectful (and don't last long if they aren't). Customers are expected

to pay a fair, but modest, price, and to leave a full tip for good

service. A manager is always on site to assist service staff, greet

customers, solve problems, and coordinate activities.

Of course, none of these successful restaurant chains ignores costs and

cost management, but none allows itself to skimp on food, service or

quality simply to "cut (or control) costs" to the point that it takes

away the reason that customers patronize the restaurant in the first

place.

If that is the path that Amtrak follows, the outcome is predetermined:

passengers will find another way to get where they want to go, and it

won't involve trains. History teaches us that. Empirical contemporary

experience in the foodservice industry teaches us that. How many times

must Amtrak shoot itself in the foot with ill-conceived schemes to "cut

costs" in the food service area before it learns the lesson that to

accommodate passengers who contribute half the company's revenue it must

feed them in the manner the customer expects?

2) You never know what’s going to come in flying over the transom when

you open the URPA e-mail box. Here is a "testimonial" from a very recent

Amtrak passenger.

"I just rode train # 50 (The Cardinal) between Chicago and

Charlottesville, Va. That god-awful "Diner Lite" was in effect and

frankly the food service stank. Same for Superliner Train # 4 (The

Southwest Chief, LA to CHI). I have lodged a complaint with Amtrak. My

thoughts are this ‘dumbing down’ of food service will benefit the

already-awful airline industry more than Amtrak.

"On the above trains I was a First Class passenger."

This is just one person that has been heard from. How many other

disgruntled passengers are out there no one will ever hear from, again?

3) Here are some samples from Amtrak’s new menu. There are four breakfast

entrees, three priced at $10.00, and one at $6.75. Each entree includes

juice, and coffee, tea, or milk. The entree that proves the most

interesting is the Western Omelet for $10.00. Amtrak says the omelet is

"draped with cheddar cheese, then topped with peppers, onion, and

vegetarian ham, served with pork sausage and breakfast potatoes." A prize

is offered to all of those who immediately see the inconsistency of this

offering. Ready? "Vegetarian ham" as an omelet ingredient, but "pork

sausage" is served as the accompanying breakfast meat. And, what exactly

is "vegetarian ham?" And, perhaps more importantly, "why" is there

vegetarian ham? What is vegetarian ham made of? Do we really want to

know?

At lunchtime, entrees run from $7.00 to $12.00, and passengers add

minestrone or chicken noodle soup to any entree for $4.00.

Dinner prices have become a bit more reasonable, with entree ranging from

$11.00 to $18.00, with selections of beef, chicken, fish, cheese

tortellini and a daily special. Half bottles of wine are offered for

$12.00, and desserts run from $3.50 to $5.00.

You may note the great American staple of bacon is not included in the

menu; when you initially look at the menu (and, there is no "mix and

match), things are pretty much take it as offered, or leave it. Not much

room for those with special dietary needs, or much variety if you're on

the train for more than 24 hours.

3) Here’s some great news: CSX has reopened its Gulf Coast line for local

traffic only, which was devastated by Hurricane Katrina. This will

eventually allow two good things to happen when the line soon starts

accepting through traffic. The Norfolk Southern main line from Atlanta to

New Orleans has been clogged by the railroad’s own heavy traffic to New

Orleans, plus it has been helping CSX by operating detour trains over the

same line, causing massive congestion, and making the Crescent

perpetually late all along its route. By soon eliminating the CSX detour

trains, Norfolk Southern, even with its own heavy capacity, should be

able to operate the Crescent in a more timely manner.

And, with the CSX Gulf Coast line soon to host through traffic, how long

will it take to restore the beleaguered Sunset Limited to its full route

of Los Angeles to Orlando, via New Orleans and the Gulf Coast line?

Amtrak, we're watching and waiting for the earliest possible moment that

CSX has the line in good enough shape to host the Sunset.

One item not mentioned in the press release - CSX and its insurance

carrier that handles catastrophic events ponied up $250 million in a

combination of lost business and replacement costs to get this line

running again, without whimpering about the need for free federal money

from the government treasury. That’s what private enterprise is all

about; CSX had a problem, not of its own making, but it took care of what

needed to be taken care of to get back in business.

4) Progressive Railroading magazine has reported that the executive

search firm of Heidrick & Struggles Inc. (No jokes, please, that really

is the name.) has been hired by the Amtrak Board of Directors to help

conduct a nationwide search for a new president and chief executive

officer. The company has more than half a century of experiencing placing

top executives in both domestic and international firms.

5) Amtrak’s Southern Division is being naughty, again. Apparently no one

in Jacksonville got the memo about now providing alternate transportation

when trains are either annulled or truncated. Unlike the Pacific Division

in the Pacific Northwest (directed by Jon Tainow, the corporate interim

Vice President, Transportation) which provided alternate transportation

due to mudslides in Washington State, the Southern Division seems to be

doing things the same shameful way as before. This includes last week,

when the Crescent was annulled west of Atlanta due to a fiery two train

collision on the Norfolk Southern main line to New Orleans, and no

alternate transportation was provided then, either.

We had thought this non-friendly passenger service had ended. Who’s not

paying attention at the division office in Jacksonville (or elsewhere)?

Here is the info, from the Amtrak computerized reservations system:

CATEGORY-MGC SUBJECT-JAN ... 19JAN06

01 CSX TRACKWORK IN FEBRUARY

03 CSX WILL BE CARRYING OUT TRACKWORK BETWEEN ROCKY MOUNT, NC

04 AND FLORENCE, SC IN FEBRUARY, AFFECTING AMTRAK SERVICE:

06 FEBRUARY 6-9, 2006 ONLY:

07 - TRAIN 79 WILL OPERATE NYP-RVR ONLY, AND BETWEEN RGH-CLT

08 ONLY (AS TRAIN 1079). NO ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION RVR-RGH.

09 - TRAIN 80 WILL OPERATE CLT-RGH ONLY; NO ALTERNATE

10 TRANSPORTATION RGH-NYP.

11 - TRAIN 89 IS CANCELLED; NO ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION.

12 PASSENGERS MAY USE TRAINS 79, 91 OR 97.

13 - TRAIN 90 WILL OPERATE RVR-NYP ONLY; NO ALTERNATE

14 TRANSPORTATION SAV-RVR.

16 FOR THE ENTIRE PERIOD FEBRUARY 6-23, 2006:

17 - TRAINS 89 (FEB. 10 AND AFTER), 91, 53 AND 97 WILL BE

18 DELAYED 30-45 MINUTES DUE TO SLOW ORDERS AND TRAFFIC

19 CONGESTION.

CATEGORY-MGC SUBJECT-JAN ... 20JAN06

01 CSX TRACKWORK IN VIRGINIA

03 CSX TRANSPORTATION WILL CARRY OUT RAIL AND TIE REPLACEMENT

04 WORK IN VIRGINIA MONDAYS THROUGH THURSDAYS, FEBRUARY 6

05 THROUGH MARCH 2, 2006, AFFECTING AMTRAK SERVICE AS FOLLOWS:

07 - TR 67 ORIGINATING DAILY, FEB 5 THROUGH MARCH 1, OPERATES

08 BOS-WAS ONLY. NO ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION WAS-NPN-VAB.

09 - TR 66 ORIGINATING DAILY, FEB. 6 THROUGH MARCH 2, OPERATES

10 WAS-BOS ONLY. NO ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION VAB-NPN-WAS.

11 - TR 1094 MONDAYS-THURSDAYS, FEB. 6 THROUGH MAR. 2, DEPARTS

12 NPN AT 710A, TWO HOURS EARLIER THAN TR 94, TO BOSTON.

13 - TR 176 MONDAYS-THURSDAYS, FEB. 6 THROUGH MAR. 2, CANCELLED.

14 TRAIN 1094 PROTECTS ITS SCHEDULE WAS-BOS.

15 - TR 94 MONDAYS-THURSDAYS, FEB. 6, THROUGH MAR. 2, OPERATES

16 WAS-BOS ONLY, ON ITS NORMAL SCHEDULE.

18 TRAINS (EXCEPT 66/67) OPERATE NORMALLY MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20.

6) Meanwhile, back on the ranch in the Pacific Division, a printed

Passenger Service Notice has been issued for the Cascades service,

telling about temporary service delays between Seattle and Portland. Five

well written, quick paragraphs tell passengers about trackwork being

performed, and why that will delay trains for approximately 30 minutes,

and thanking the passengers for their patience.

This is absolutely making the best of an annoying situation. Regular

passengers are being warned in advance of an inconvenience - and

apologized to at the same time - and new passengers are being told this

is an exception to the service, and not normal routine. Guys, is this

such a hard concept to implement in these days of desktop publishing and

quick printing? Back in the days of hot metal type and noisy mechanical

printing presses, the Milwaukee Road and other commuter and regional

railroads used to do this type of thing on a few hours notice for their

regular riders. This is a good concept that needs to be used more often.

7) Here’s a bright spot of news. Amtrak is now yield (they call it

revenue) managing both Wondertrain Acela and Metroliners on the NEC. This

is a good move towards both fiscal sanity and better marketing strategy.

One unheralded part of this announcement is apparent confirmation the

well respected Metroliner brand is not going down the track into

oblivion. During last year’s brake crisis on Wondertrain Acela, the

Metroliners did yeoman’s service filling in for Acelas on the NEC. This

is from the Amtrak computerized reservations system:

REVENUE MANAGEMENT OF NEC PREMIUM SERVICE

BEGINNING JANUARY 28, 2006 FOR SALE ON OR AFTER FEBRUARY 6,

06, AMTRAK WILL REVENUE MANAGE ACELA EXPRESS AND METROLINER

TRAINS IN THE NORTHEAST CORRIDOR.

FIVE NEW FARE LEVELS OR "BUCKETS" WILL REPLACE "PEAK",

"SHOULDER" AND "OFF-PEAK FARES ON ACELA EXPRESS AND METROLINER

SERVICE. EACH "BUCKET" WILL BE REPRESENTED BY A NEW FARE PLAN.

8) In the category of starving yourself to alleged good health, Amtrak is

on the warpath again, thinking of shuttering 26 stations, most on the

long distance system. Looking at the internal document, the merits of the

argument seems to be money; the majority of the stations are staffed by

only one ticket agent. Interestingly, Meridian, Mississippi is on the

list. Meridian is the home of former Amtrak Chairman of the Board John

Robert Smith, and former Federal Railroad Administration Administrator

Gilbert Carmichael.

Here is part of the argument that is probably not being heard at all:

perhaps, instead of closing viable assets such as manned train station,

Amtrak should apply some basic marketing and attempt to increase business

at these locations instead of writing them off? This basically comes down

to squandering resources and is all about lost opportunities, not Amtrak

starving itself into alleged good health. Every time the Amtrak system

shrinks to save money, even by the closing of what are considered

relatively small stations, what really happens is that a greater amount

of revenue is lost versus savings. In the case of Meridian, total labor

cost for the station is $181,875 annually. Total site sales (ticket and

Package Express) is $351,805. This is a defensible savings? Hardly. When

will this silliness stop?"

Wait, there's more:

"Volume 3, Number 5

Re-Thinking America's Rail Passenger Service

by Andrew C. Selden

Amtrak is at another of its many cross-roads: financially hopeless,

working with an interim "acting" CEO, strapped to irreconcilable

strategies (to provide abundant social services in its corridor markets,

yet expected to produce tolerable financial results of operations

overall, with an underdeveloped interregional business that it doesn't

understand or appreciate and supports halfheartedly for the wrong

reasons). Many of its management systems are ineffectual or unreliable,

according to the October 2005 GAO analysis.

Amtrak can - and must - do better in all of its activities.

It is very easy to sit in the back benches and criticize Amtrak's

manifest shortcomings, or to drift in from somewhere in outer space and

demand that Amtrak re-create the rail passenger network of 1920, or even

1960. But, to offer an implementable program of commercially,

economically and politically viable reforms in the environment of today

is a bit more daunting. No one who has deeply studied Amtrak doubts that

a huge latent demand exists for a properly positioned intercity rail

transportation service. How to service that demand, effectively,

efficiently and productively, is the principal challenge to Amtrak's next

CEO. What follows is my vision for how to realize Amtrak's potential,

with structural and operational reform, real growth in service and

economic results, and real growth in productive employment.

Reform must occur in four principal areas for Amtrak to succeed in both

economic and political terms:

- Management systems: Amtrak desperately needs an all-new management

information system, and reformed internal accounting, strategic planning

and budgeting procedures; and greater transparency to its various

stakeholders.

- Capital allocation: A greater share of available capital resources must

be redirected to allocations that produce the greatest rate of return on

invested capital measured, at the margin, by ticket revenue and

transportation output. Too much capital today is invested in applications

with the lowest (and sometime negative) rates of return on investment.

- Train operations: Amtrak must better align both services and capacity

to actual customer demand; updating its unfulfilled 45-year-old business

model to 21st Century actual market conditions and travel demand is a

must.

- Strategic partnerships: Amtrak must focus on creating, reinvigorating,

or reinstating good working relationships with critical resources: the

host railroads, American Society of Travel Agents, states and communities

served, cruise ship and destination operators, AARP, employees, and

Amtrak’s investment banker, Congress.

Congress has made clear that it is willing to invest more than a billion

dollars a year into intercity rail passenger services. How would I use

that money to get better results than Amtrak has accomplished over the

last 15 years?

First, I would invest – and it will cost as much as $40 to $50 million

over three years – in a totally new management information system.

Amtrak’s Route Profitability System is worse than useless. Another $50

million will have to be invested over about a three-year period to

correct the many serious management system deficiencies identified in the

October 2005 GAO Report.

I support the Board’s initiative to investigate the benefits and

drawbacks to spinning off the fixed assets of the NEC to a neutral

third-party owner. Amtrak operated fine before it owned the NEC and, like

most passenger trains in Europe, and all of its trains elsewhere in the

U.S., will operate fine if even this 400 miles of railroad is owned by a

neutral third party. And, ownership of the NEC fixed assets is both a

huge distraction and a financial albatross to Amtrak without obvious

benefit. To fail at the very least to study divestiture would be highly

irresponsible. Studying something does not predetermine outcomes.

As a prelude to any further significant capital spending, on any route or

activity, Amtrak should conduct the independent, unbiased, expert study

called a comprehensive consumer segmentation study, designed to elicit

(a) what intercity rail passenger transportation services (including

routes, kinds and levels of service, and collateral services) customers

are interested in purchasing, and at what prices; and, (B) who those

customers (persons likely to purchase rail transportation services) are

and through what advertising and promotional channels they can be reached

efficiently. Then, Amtrak needs to experiment aggressively to test the

research conclusions to ascertain the actual strength and scope of

potential demand for its services in various market segments.

As part of this experiment, one short distance corridor, competing

operating rights over the Northeast Corridor, and one long-distance

market should be franchised out to a third-party operator (such as Virgin

Trains, Carnival, Marriott, Disney, the host railroad, or Herzog or

Bombardier) to determine what operating efficiencies, and demand

elasticity, can be realized through genuinely fresh, innovative,

entrepreneurial stewardship of a defined market segment.

Amtrak also has a huge opportunity to enhance its operations and

financial results by going through a "back-to-basics" program, to make

sure that its stations are clean and inviting, its passenger cars are

restored to roadworthy condition, that windows and restrooms are clean

(and stay clean en route), its employees are trained and supported to

deliver enthusiastic "come back" service, and programs are in place to

deal with operational breakdowns.

Then, I would use significant operational reform (designed to drive up

load factor without sacrificing output; i.e. match capacity to demand)

and extraneous, non-operating asset sales not related to core

infrastructure in the Northeast Corridor to raise $150 to $200 million a

year in avoided costs and sale proceeds. With that, plus about a hundred

million from the Congressional subsidy we could fund the remaining

capital subsidy needs of the NEC at a steady rate of about $250 to $300

million a year. If and when actual demand requires more infrastructure or

more intense use of infrastructure, more capital can be sought from

Congress, or private sector sources. The absurdly low load factors in the

NEC can also be addressed by modest and inexpensive enhancements to the

network of services offered in the northeast. These include management

initiatives such as single-ticket, cross-platform services between Newark

and Wall Street on PATH; creating a stop somewhere in Queens, New York,

or even running through trains onto Long Island; running more trains on

the inland route to Boston; extending some NEC trains to Charlottesville,

Virginia and Albany, New York; and adding service in the Lehigh Valley.

The rest of the available discretionary capital from Congress can be used

to focus on rail passenger markets with real growth potential. With the

information and capital resources described above, I would undertake an

urgent rehabilitation of all rescuable Superliner and Viewliner rail

cars. Amtrak is turning away tens, if not hundreds, of millions of

dollars a year in incremental revenue for want of roadworthy carrying

capacity. Even if no changes were to be made in Amtrak’s routes or

services, huge and heretofore untapped latent demand exists for current

services, which Amtrak can reach with renewed focus on growth in its core

business.

I would put out an immediate solicitation of two proposals from the

worldwide rail vehicle industry:

- First, for supply of up to a hundred new Viewliner sleepers in "bed and

breakfast" configuration (sacrificing one standard bedroom/roomette for a

small galley facility; all of these cars will be used in one-night

markets in the East, Northeast and Atlantic Coast Corridor), and about a

hundred new long distance single-level coaches and associated lounge-type

food service cars, to be delivered, starting in two to three years, over

a four-year period.

- Second, I would negotiate for an open-ended Superliner production line

designed to deliver cars, beginning in two to three years, at a rate of

about one a week, which we could accelerate later, to begin with sleeping

cars to expand capacity on existing trains. In total, the capacity and

network expansion throughout the national system would require a fleet of

as many as 1,500 new Superliner rail cars.

Available capital remaining should then be allocated into national system

infrastructure investments, which I would leverage through tax

credit-financed joint ventures with host railroads, and with state

partners, to fix terminals and junctions, to create route

intraconnectivity, and to make minor route adjustments and extensions. I

would ask states to invest only in capital projects, not subsidizing

train operations (except in cases of services operated at the request of

a state).

Many of Amtrak's smaller community stations are not in good condition,

and are regarded more as "cost problems" than as "revenue opportunities."

Rather than un-staff or even close these stations, Amtrak should

experiment with a franchise program that would place these facilities,

and the Amtrak agency business opportunity they house, into the hands of

motivated local entrepreneur owner/operators. A financing program would

be part of the franchise to assure that existing employees have the first

opportunity to own these businesses. In most cases, the Amtrak agency

business would be combined with one or more other businesses or tenants

to create a commercially-viable business proposition. In many other

cases, partnering station rehabilitation with the municipality, as has

occurred at Oceanside, California and Del Rio, Texas, provides a model.

Network density (derived from capacity growth and network

intraconnectivity) inevitably creates flow density through the network,

and traffic will grow rapidly … even at constant levels of market

penetration on existing and newly interconnected routes. Growing train

lengths will absorb all available rehabilitated and new cars in the first

few years, and demand will drive additional frequencies on existing

routes next. Then, and only then, and this is probably five to ten years

out, we would look to add carefully selected routes, such as Washington,

D.C. to Atlanta to Jacksonville to Orlando to Miami; Atlanta to Dallas;

Dallas to Denver; or restoring the Desert Wind between Los Angeles, Las

Vegas, Salt Lake City and Chicago.

Other low cost, easy, near-term network enhancements, the real

low-hanging fruit, would include such things as making the Sunset Limited

a daily train; creating a regional hub at Albany linking Boston and New

York to Montreal and Toronto; extending the Silver Star to Montreal

(Nearly 10 million Canadian visitors go to Florida every year; Amtrak’s

current share of that market is zero.); extending the California Zephyr

to run down the coast line overnight to Los Angeles, partly to provide a

second through frequency on that route, but mainly to consolidate western

Superliner maintenance at Los Angeles. I'd fix the terminal trackage at

such locations as San Antonio, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Phoenix and

Portland.

With this kind of vision, and an investment strategy focused on real

business results and real growth, in as little as five years Amtrak can

be at a genuine operational breakeven in its national system precisely

because, for the first time in its history, it would be operating a

large, robust, and growing national network of intercity passenger

services.

Other service initiatives would include realigning food service

operations better to match the needs of passengers in various markets.

All day or even 24-hour operation of full-service dining cars is smart

business on long distance trains where customers are in Amtrak’s care for

one to three days at a time, and demand a quality dining experience as a

component of their rail travel. Operational reform and slight

repositioning of these services can bring long-distance dining car

services to break-even in short order. Snack and beverage service is more

than adequate on most corridor trains, where typical trips rarely exceed

two hours. On any corridor or regional train whose route is long enough

for average trips to exceed three to four hours, a full "casual dining"

food service must be offered and actively promoted.

In the area of strategic partnerships, Amtrak is missing out on huge

opportunities by not reinvigorating relationships with other groups and

organizations with which it shares economic goals. One example is retail

travel agents, whose support could be highly valuable in corridor markets

(where load factors are so low now that plenty of salable inventory goes

wasted every day) and in off-season long distance markets where some

excess capacity exists seasonally. The rewards of an alliance with AARP

would include both new sales to AARP’s members (who are more flexible to

take high-value experience trips on long distance trains in non-peak

periods), and having a powerful political ally. Amtrak serves many cruise

ship ports of call, from Los Angeles to Vancouver, New Orleans to Ft.

Lauderdale, even Memphis, for Mississippi River paddlewheel steamboats.

Why Amtrak doesn't aggressively pursue interline and packaged travel with

cruise companies (and other major destinations, such as Disney resorts;

Branson, Missouri; the National Parks; and even the Mall of America in

Minnesota) is a complete mystery.

Much can be done to evolve Amtrak’s often contentious relations with its

represented employees, into a more collaborative, productive, mutually

respectful and pleasant working relationship. Growth in the national

network necessarily entails growth in the number and quality of jobs and

opportunities for career advancement for line employees."

I really regret what is about to transpire, if rumors posted by OBS and others come to fruition. I have every intention of letting my Elected Representatives, state and federal, know that I don't want other regions of the country getting trains while my region gets nothing. Other parts of the United States want trains? I'd expect to see the Midwest HSR initiative come into being. I'd like to think that High Speed ( or moderately high speed) rail in the corridors named by the FRA and the DOT would be a legacy that a politician could leave behind - like what Eisenhower did for the Interstate highway system. Truncation of routes? Individuals who suggest that have no idea that a passenger train generates business because of the stops along the route, not end-point to end-point.

:angry: :(

Wow! That's a lot to swallow. Thanks for the information. Such things bring about the fact of life that faces Amtrak. At this point, let's see what happens. It's out of the hands of little guys just working on the train! :blink:

AmtrakFan said:
Nebraska Railfan,The Plan you created Congress would never fund if Amtrak asked for that they'ed be laughed out of the house. Amtrak needs to make mass changes.
Nebraska didn't ask for a plan that Congress would accept. He simply asked what was your plan, mine, and anyone else who might visit.

if gas prices got high enough, 5 dollars a gallon, i think congress might be swayed to put somethign like this in, to reduce demand for gasoline and thus the price. either way it would take 15 years to build, so congress would only be spending 100 billion per year. there about. i think it is possible.

i know its to bad something like this might not ever happen, but i would try. All it would do is provide easy mass transit for americans to city to city at resonable fares. In an economically uncertain time for americans, it would go a long way to raiseing public moral about american economic power to put in such a good comprehensive system in. But i guess we dont care about that. <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back