When and Where should I pick up my tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duke_gal_05

Train Attendant
YES It's ME again :rolleyes: Since I will be traveling out 1 am on a Tuesday Morning in June from Fayetteville NC, WHEN should I pick up my tickets? I live in about 1 1/2 hours away from that station but chose it since it is a MANNED station. I had to choose a station when I purchased the tickets and the only option that was REMOTELY close was Georgia... :blink: I was told I could get them from any station closer that was manned or had a kiosk. Could I go the weekend before my departure OR should I go earlier in case there are any issues? Thanks again for having this site available ... VERY VALUABLE esp to us NEWBIES to Amtrak and Train Travel. ^_^

That's really up to you if you want to go pick them up a bit early. Most people wait until the day of travel, but if for peace of mind you'd like to have them a few days earlier by all means go down the weekend before and pick the tickets up. I would not do it sooner, you don't want to lose them and they are like cash!

But you can also just pick them up the day you travel. The Fayetteville station will be open at the time your train arrives, so you can also pick up the tickets that night. I would suggest getting to the station no later than midnight so that you have enough time to get your tickets, and if you decide to check any bags there is enough time for that too.

That's really up to you if you want to go pick them up a bit early. Most people wait until the day of travel, but if for peace of mind you'd like to have them a few days earlier by all means go down the weekend before and pick the tickets up. I would not do it sooner, you don't want to lose them and they are like cash!

But you can also just pick them up the day you travel. The Fayetteville station will be open at the time your train arrives, so you can also pick up the tickets that night. I would suggest getting to the station no later than midnight so that you have enough time to get your tickets, and if you decide to check any bags there is enough time for that too.

THANKS Alan, I was reviewing my emails regarding my tickets and realized that I had everything (rail passes for both me and my daughter, our roomette and her intinerary/reservations) "confirmed" via email EXCEPT my intinerary/reservations. :eek: SO I immediately called USA RAIL to get this sent. THANKS Rhonda for your help and QUICK email response. ;) Now I have everything in email form. I even copied and pasted them all in to ONE email which I sent to my private and work email....OKAY so I'M a little OCD :giggle:

If you have to pick up rail passes and decide to pick things up that night, then I would defiantly make sure to get to the station with enough time to deal with things. Not that it takes that much longer, but it does add a few extra minutes.

If you go the weekend before, then it of course doesn't matter so much.

The itinerary with the barcode that you print out will be needed when you use the ticket kiosk. If you don't have the barcode, use the credit card you gave when you booked, otherwise scan the barcode that's on the hard copy of the email in order to get your tickets.

In my case, the station is a two-hour drive from here. I'm opting for using the kiosk on the day of departure, since my trip is already paid for.

If you're in an area that has an unmanned station, and you depart from that station, Amtrak will mail your tickets to you at no extra charge, however you won't be able to check any baggage.

This will be my first trip where I will actually check one bag (hoping I don't need something in it during the trip).

If at all possible, I suggest picking up your tickets during working hours prior to departure. In the event that there is a snafu of some kind, if the Amtrak offices are open it may be easier to get things straightened out during normal working hours. For me the risk of losing my tickets is overshadowed by the convenience of being able to talk to live people during working hours.

The itinerary with the barcode that you print out will be needed when you use the ticket kiosk. If you don't have the barcode, use the credit card you gave when you booked, otherwise scan the barcode that's on the hard copy of the email in order to get your tickets.

In my case, the station is a two-hour drive from here. I'm opting for using the kiosk on the day of departure, since my trip is already paid for.

If you're in an area that has an unmanned station, and you depart from that station, Amtrak will mail your tickets to you at no extra charge, however you won't be able to check any baggage.

This will be my first trip where I will actually check one bag (hoping I don't need something in it during the trip).

Thanks .... we will be checking one bag as well but don't plan on needing anything out of it until we get to California. Thank GOODNESS for Space Bags... Can pack several days worth of clothes in ONE carry one bag :D

If at all possible, I suggest picking up your tickets during working hours prior to departure. In the event that there is a snafu of some kind, if the Amtrak offices are open it may be easier to get things straightened out during normal working hours. For me the risk of losing my tickets is overshadowed by the convenience of being able to talk to live people during working hours.

That is what I want to do and my thoughts were the same if I go up on Friday during business hours before our trip would be the safest way... just in case there are any problems or questions...plus a few last minute items to pick up I'm sure ... we should be packed at that point. THANKS again. This site is SO valuable :)

Pat,

Just as an FYI, she's using a Rail Pass, can't pick that up from a Quik Trak, it requires an agent. And since the tickets are issued against the rail pass, they won't print either at the Quik Trak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as an FYI, she's using a Rail Pass, can't pick that up from a Quik Trak, it requires an agent. And since the tickets are issued against the rail pass, they won't print either at the Quik Trak.
Okay, sorry..I missed that part. Wish I lived in an area that had better train service. I might opt for a rail pass too, but most of the places I go require a vehicle when I get there.

Can pack several days worth of clothes in ONE carry one bag :D
I do!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back