When is too early to give up on the CONO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
I have a 6/4 Empire Builder reservation connecting with the 6/5 CONO. I need to be in NOL the evening of the 6th for three nights.

Today's media coverage of the flooding along the CONO route suggests that problems may be ongoing a month or longer, which would step on my trip, if accurate.

Even if opening the Morganza Spillway prevents massive flooding in NOL, there is a serious question as to whether the CONO will be up and running the whole route by early June.

My two options would be to 1)take the EB to Portland, the CS to LAUS, and the SL to NOL; or 2) the EB to CHI, the CL to WAS and the Crescent to NOL. #1 is more appealing, except for the fact that the SL does not run daily, and would cause me to add one or two days both directions to get there by the 6th and to connect going home.

The EB/CL/Crescent routing sounds good, except for the fact that for several days running, the EB has arrived in CHI after the CL departed.

To further complicate it, this is a 60k point AGR trip. If I add another zone it becomes a 100k three zone award. I don't have an extra 40k points. Think they would accomodate me using redeemed points because of the weather emergency? They did something similar once before when there was a massive mudslide on the CS route.

I will be traveling on Amtrak the 20th through the 28th (SPK/PDX/BFD/LVS) so I kind of want it resolved this coming week.

In my shoes, what would you do?

I am scheduled to be on the CONO on June 6 as well. Every indication I have been given is that by then there is nothing to worry about. The River will have crested at every possible location by then and the flood levels will be well on their way down. I really don't think there is anything to be concerned about on that date. i am not worried about it at all.

If I were rolling the dice, which is what you have to do here, I would gamble in favor of the CONO being back in operation. The Sunset route appears to be in the path of more likely flooding right now.

I have a 6/4 Empire Builder reservation connecting with the 6/5 CONO. I need to be in NOL the evening of the 6th for three nights.

Today's media coverage of the flooding along the CONO route suggests that problems may be ongoing a month or longer, which would step on my trip, if accurate.

Even if opening the Morganza Spillway prevents massive flooding in NOL, there is a serious question as to whether the CONO will be up and running the whole route by early June.

My two options would be to 1)take the EB to Portland, the CS to LAUS, and the SL to NOL; or 2) the EB to CHI, the CL to WAS and the Crescent to NOL. #1 is more appealing, except for the fact that the SL does not run daily, and would cause me to add one or two days both directions to get there by the 6th and to connect going home.

The EB/CL/Crescent routing sounds good, except for the fact that for several days running, the EB has arrived in CHI after the CL departed.

To further complicate it, this is a 60k point AGR trip. If I add another zone it becomes a 100k three zone award. I don't have an extra 40k points. Think they would accomodate me using redeemed points because of the weather emergency? They did something similar once before when there was a massive mudslide on the CS route.

I will be traveling on Amtrak the 20th through the 28th (SPK/PDX/BFD/LVS) so I kind of want it resolved this coming week.

In my shoes, what would you do?

taking CONO from Memphis to New Orleans on May 19, returning May 22. Amtrak says tracks are clear now. Has anyone heard differently? Should I cancel trap? (Don't want to be badly delayed or bussed around).

taking CONO from Memphis to New Orleans on May 19, returning May 22. Amtrak says tracks are clear now. Has anyone heard differently? Should I cancel trap? (Don't want to be badly delayed or bussed around).
If I were you, I wold go ahead and plan the trip, but check with Amtrak the day before departure. Unfortunately, with floods like this, delays and bussings can happen. That is not anticipated on the CONO for your portion, which is running Memphis to New Orleans only right now, but if it does, I would be ready to roll with the punches. I had to be bussed between Jackson, MS and Memphis a few years ago when there was a bad freight train collision the night before, but it was a charter bus and wasn't too bad.

The CONO doesn't actually run near or across the river here in New Orleans, but along the Lake. It does cross the Bonnet Carré Spillway along the lake, but that's not going to flood high enough to affect tracks. They are raised on the trestle the full length (parallel to raised I-10).

It's flooding of the river North at Memphis that has been causing the problems for the CONO. If the flooding stops there, the CONO should be fine to run the full length of the trip.

The Sunset Limited though is another story and reports are already saying it'll be stopping and turning in San Antonio due to expected flooding from the opening of the Morganza Spillway.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CONO doesn't actually run near or across the river here in New Orleans, but along the Lake. It does cross the Bonnet Carré Spillway along the lake, but that's not going to flood high enough to affect tracks. They are raised on the trestle the full length (parallel to raised I-10).

It's flooding of the river North at Memphis that has been causing the problems for the CONO. If the flooding stops there, the CONO should be fine to run the full length of the trip.

The Sunset Limited though is another story and reports are already saying it'll be stopping and turning in San Antonio due to expected flooding from the opening of the Morganza Spillway.
Many thanks for your comments and map. Very useful.

I hope not to have to change from the CONO to the Crescent. Lot longer trip from the west coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back