When to ride the SW Chief?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Steve D

My wife and I want to ride the Chief from Chicago to L.A., and we have no particular time that we have to go. We were just interested in what those who have ridden at different times of the year feel is a great time for a trip. My thought was winter, but should other considerations outweigh snow in the mountains?

I ride the Southwest Chief about once every 7 weeks throughout the year. My trips are usually between L.A and Newton, KS – both ways, but sometimes between Newton and Chicago. In the 5 years I’ve been doing this I don’t recall a weather delay of any kind. I can safely say the train is full in the summer (mid-June through Labor Day), but much less so other times of the year. I’ve always been able to get a sleeper on short notice (within 10 days) even in the summer merely by being flexible with my travel dates (a day either way makes a big difference), or being willing to gamble on getting a sleeper from the conductor after boarding the train.

Thanks for the comments and advice, Watcher! We were not so concerned about weather delays or problems, just in getting some idea of a good time to view the countryside along the route. Right now, we're thinking of maybe making plans for early next year (Jan -Mar).

Back