When we board

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

I was wondering something. We have four coach tickets. When we board the train, does someone show us where to sit or is it "just wherever you can find a place". It will be our home for 24 hours.

Thanks

In my experience, it depends on the on board personnel. I've had people give me a seat assignment before boarding the car and I've had others, depending on the equipment, only tell me which way to turn when I boarded.

It's worse if you board in the middle of the night when people are sleeping across seats. Some personnel reserve seats "For couples only" in a car.

I always board first in Cleveland and can't ever remember being assigned a specific seat there.

I too have different experiences. Sometimes I'm given a seat number, and other times I'm simply told "upstairs and to your right". If you are given the latter instruction, simply look for seats that are both empty and don't have a seat check (little paper stub) hanging above from the luggage bin.

If you want to sit together, and the attendant gives you seats that are apart from one another, go ahead and take the assigned seats. After the attendant and the conductor have everyone settled in, simply inform the attendant that you would like to have seats together as soon as they're available. In many cases, the attendant will go ahead and try to re-assign seats. In other cases, the attendant may have to wait until the next major stop when the train has large turnover. In some rare cases, the train may be so filled that re-assignments are not possible. But don't worry, you'll have plenty of opportunities to visit with the rest of your party in the dining car and in the lounge car.

Scratch the dining car, as the Cardinal does not offer that service.

However, I believe they will be boarding in Indianapolis. That train probably has enough turnover at Indy that there should be enough seats empty (the crew will probably try to assign most of the "shorts" between CHI and IND in one car) to sit together. This is not a guarantee that there will be, just a note that there could be.

Boy you have a good memory - (where and what train). Yes it is in Indy and it is around 12:30 a.m. Horrible time but oh well.

Our girls are not little but I would like to be in the same train car (more convenient).

Back