Where are the sleeper cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadonatrain

Service Attendant
Are the sleeper cars (on trains that have ‘em of course 😝) always at the rear? When I take the Crescent from Clemson, which is almost a whistle stop, I’m always worried I’ll be waiting on the wrong end of the platform and have to run with my LUGage to get to the sleeper at the other end! Since it’s an unpersoned station, there’s no one I can ask!

I miss the nice train consist diagrams you can always find on every platform anywhere in Europe! Not to mention the signs saying wait here for car number whatever!

Some trains have them in back, some in front. For example the Coast Starlight sleepers are at the front, the Empire Builder has the Seattle sleepers in front - the Portland sleepers towards the back. In the absolute worst case you could walk through the coaches to the sleepers.

Are the sleeper cars (on trains that have ‘em of course 😝) always at the rear? When I take the Crescent from Clemson, which is almost a whistle stop, I’m always worried I’ll be waiting on the wrong end of the platform and have to run with my LUGage to get to the sleeper at the other end! Since it’s an unpersoned station, there’s no one I can ask!

I miss the nice train consist diagrams you can always find on every platform anywhere in Europe! Not to mention the signs saying wait here for car number whatever!
It varies by train, but it looks like the Crescent carries its sleepers at the rear. But if there's no station agent telling me where to stand, I would just stand near the station house. I would hope the conductor wouldn't close the doors if he sees you making an effort to get to them.

Crescent has sleepers on the rear. But I'd definitely stand on the platform that's in line with the station because if you are the only one boarding or de-boarding, it's likely that the conductor and engineer will coordinate to stop the sleeper right near you. The Western Long Hauls (Superliner Trains), largely have their sleepers on the front of the train (except Empire Builder with Portland sleeper on the rear). Single level long distance trains - sleepers are at the rear as of now. The only one that was not was the overnight NEC train that carried a Viewliner sleeper on the front between Boston and Washington DC. But that train has currently suspended sleeper operations during this 5x per week hiatus. Hopefully they bring it back, but it's always an up in the air situation.

Trains in India are very long, sometimes 25+ coaches. Thankfully they do have coach and consist information at most places. Not a relaxing start to your journey if at the wrong end!

Crescent has sleepers on the rear. But I'd definitely stand on the platform that's in line with the station because if you are the only one boarding or de-boarding, it's likely that the conductor and engineer will coordinate to stop the sleeper right near you. The Western Long Hauls (Superliner Trains), largely have their sleepers on the front of the train (except Empire Builder with Portland sleeper on the rear). Single level long distance trains - sleepers are at the rear as of now. The only one that was not was the overnight NEC train that carried a Viewliner sleeper on the front between Boston and Washington DC. But that train has currently suspended sleeper operations during this 5x per week hiatus. Hopefully they bring it back, but it's always an up in the air situation.

The Lake Shore Limited has the Boston sleeper in front as well, and it's unfortunately right behind the locomotives now that they did away with the baggage car.

Viewliner trains tend to have them on the rear, Superliners in front. I don't know why.

The exceptions are split trains like the Builder and the Lake Shore. Those have sleepers basically at both ends of the combined trains, so as to prevent coach passengers from having to walk through one section's sleepers when moving about the train.

Sleepers were traditionally on the rear of the train because of smoke and cinders from the locomotive and the noise of the mail and express handling on the headend. That tradition has largely carried on to the current day. Being closer to the air horn is kind of disruptive as well. I have noticed though it depends now. The Sunset Limited sleepers were in front on #2 with the Texas Eagle Sleeper along with the coach on the rear making it easier to drop in San Antonio which makes sense.

The Lake Shore Limited has the Boston sleeper in front as well, and it's unfortunately right behind the locomotives now that they did away with the baggage car.
So that's why I was hearing the whistle so loud last time on the LSL, and will again shortly, as we board at Springfield. I can't complain. Not having to sleep in coach, as I did a few decades ago, makes me grateful to lie flat, if awake, to hear one of the sweetest sounds I know.

Back