Where do you reside?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time on this site. I live in Bloomington, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis. I love passenger trains and will vote against any politician who does not support building a much stronger Amtrak.
But what if the a person running is against Amtrak, but they are best qualified otherwise, and the person running who is for Amtrak isn't qualified in all other areas??? How do you vote, then?

First time on this site. I live in Bloomington, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis. I love passenger trains and will vote against any politician who does not support building a much stronger Amtrak.
But what if the a person running is against Amtrak, but they are best qualified otherwise, and the person running who is for Amtrak isn't qualified in all other areas??? How do you vote, then?
With a lot of thought.

And in-between elections, do your very best to get as many people as possible to bombard the anti-Amtrak politician with emails and letters complaining about the anti-Amtrak stance, with persuasive pro-Amtrak arguments. The politicians do track incoming email and letters, so keep sending them. It is especially useful if you can get folks who have NOT sent anything to that politician, to send something. The politician's staff may discount stuff from the same person that keeps coming over and over, but if the same basic message arrives from a bunch of different people, ESPECIALLY if they are voters in that politician's district, they have to react to it. And this is an election year.......... Here in Florida with Mica and Nelson, both rabidly anti-Amtrak, this is a very important issue to hit hard.

I'm a 37 year old self employed attorney. I presently live in eastern Worcester County, Massachusetts. My closest Amtrak station is Worcester. My next colsest is either Boston - 128, Back Bay, or South Station. I havn't really measured it. I prefer South Station becasue I can find it on the roads

I grew up in Orange County, California. My first job out of law school was with a law firm in downtown LA, so I used to commute on Metrolink's Orange County line five days a week. While commuting on the train, i discovered Amtrak. While walking out to my train, I'd see those big Superliners and want to go for a ride.

My first long distance Amtrak experience was in the mid 90's on the Desert Wind from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, NV in coach. A few years later my wife and I took an Amtrak vacation to Orlando. We flew one way and took the Sunset Limited back in a sleeper. The Sunset Limited had timekeeping problems back then. It was an entire 24 hours late. I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't run out of food on day four.

I rediscovered Amtrak Long Distance Trains one evening. I was buying a ticket to NY Penn (Amtrak is my preferred means to get to NYC) on the computer when my 4 year old daughter toddles over, sees what website I'm on (Amtrak) and says, "lets take the train to Grandma's House!" I key in the dates and destinations (WOR - FUL) and see the price. WOW! After talking to my wife and daughter about the train, I bought three tickets to Fullerton, CA on Amtrak.

I fly 50,000 to 75,000 miles a year for business. I'm now giving Amtrak some of my business travel dollars. Due to speed and reliability issues, I can't get rid of the airlines alltogether. I use them when I must. My first priority is Amtrak

Rick

I live in Richmond, VAI've been riding the trains since 2000 as a hobby. I wanted to ride all the historical train routes. The TV program that got me interested was Trains unlimited. After one ride I was hooked. Before, I started taking school children for their first ride on the trains every spring until the school cut out all travel for school. I enjoy most, the cross country trips on Southwest Chief, and now the CZ. See you onboard. :)

Home station TPA

Birth station EXR

Always available for info on either, if I can help.

Just joined the site, and find much helpful info and hope I can add to it.

Mike

I live in Lafayette La now and work for the BNSF Railway as a conductor.
I grew up in Okemos Michigan and moved down here 4 years ago. :)

I was a paied on call FireFighter before leaving Michigan to work for BNSF Railway.
We live in Atlanta Ga. I am retired from the airlines and will make our 1st long distance trip in Feb. I have worked for 8 different airlines in my 36 year career. I was born in Jackson, Michigan, but have lived all over including Alaska and Canada. We decided it was time to see our country from ground level instead of 35,000 ft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just joined the site last week. I live in Colfax, WA, about 60 miles from the nearest Amtrak stop in Spokane, though if I wanted to badly enough, I could use Amtrak's Thruway bus service, as it not only stops here in my hometown but, sometimes quite literally, stops right at my front door. I just returned from a trip to my aunt and uncle's near Champaign, IL, and for part of the journey home took the Southwest Chief for its entire Chicago-Los Angeles run. I'm looking forward to expanded hours at work and, beginning next year, one more week of vacation so that I can make more trips via Amtrak!

I just joined the site last week. I live in Colfax, WA, about 60 miles from the nearest Amtrak stop in Spokane, though if I wanted to badly enough, I could use Amtrak's Thruway bus service, as it not only stops here in my hometown but, sometimes quite literally, stops right at my front door. I just returned from a trip to my aunt and uncle's near Champaign, IL, and for part of the journey home took the Southwest Chief for its entire Chicago-Los Angeles run. I'm looking forward to expanded hours at work and, beginning next year, one more week of vacation so that I can make more trips via Amtrak!
Welcome to the group!!

I have lived in the Lynchburg, VA area all my life, currently in Concord between Lynchburg and Appomattox.

Grew up watching the trains and hanging out at the local train stations. We had Southern (my favorite), Chesapeake & Ohio and the Norfolk and Western railroads converging here. All of the railroad people were very nice. I had my name taken by the railroad police several times, but they let me continue walking the R.O.W but never the trestles. They were documenting that I had been warned.

First train trip in 1947 at age 5 to Washington DC on the “Southerner” (hence my sign on name) return trip was on a local that stopped at every little town. I remember it was hot and very crowded, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

My first overnight was in a sleeper attached to the Crescent carrying me along with other recruits to Fort Jackson, S.C. in 1964. Our car was detached sometime during the night and sent on to Columbia, S.C. I had a roomette all to myself.

My wife and I have taken two LD trips. In 1999 we went from Charlottesville to Salt Lake City. In 2005 we went from Charlottesville to Portland OR. Each time was 6 days (Bedroom) on the train and 1 or 2 days at our destination. Both trips were very enjoyable. We use the refurbished Charlottesville station for all of our western trips since it is only an hour’s drive and eliminates the early departure, long layover in Washington and late arrival back in Lynchburg. We only use the Lynchburg station when going to Washington on a day trip. We arrive in DC just in time for the opening of the Smithsonian buildings. We leave DC at 6:30 p.m. and arrive back in Lynchburg around 11 PM

We want to do another trip in 2007 or 2008 to perhaps Seattle if Amtrak still has LD trains.

I origianlly came from a tropical Philippine island and migrated to San Diego, California since 1988. My hobbies are playing with remote control hellicopter, cycling, motorcyling, photography, hiking, camping, and dreaming to travel around the world. I'm a single father and raises four childrens which are all now in their own professional careers. Currently a working student trying to earn a degree in Radiology.

Gery

Chicago, Illinois

I am 29 years old, married with two great children who are the best any Dad could ever ask for!

My youngest is 3 months old. My oldest is 9 years old.

I am a songwriter / vocalist, who also finished a ministry internship this year. I used to be a Public Safety Commander (Not employed by a municipal agency). I was the Commander on watch the morning of 9/11/01 assigned to the John Hancock Center.

My Amtrak journeys began when I was five years old. These journeys have taken me aboard the Illinois Zephyr, I have been a passenger on the service to Kankakee and back, and more recently (2001) I was on the Cardinal to D.C. and connected to the Crescent. My favorite part of this journey was Harper's Ferry, W.VA. which was very scenic and very beautiful. At this time, I came to learn that Harper's Ferry is also very historic.

D.C. is awesome, and i'd go back every time the chance arises!

Guess I should stop talking now, or this post is going to turn into a novel, lol.

Best To Everyone!

I have lived in the Lynchburg, VA area all my life, currently in Concord between Lynchburg and Appomattox.
Grew up watching the trains and hanging out at the local train stations. We had Southern (my favorite), Chesapeake & Ohio and the Norfolk and Western railroads converging here. All of the railroad people were very nice. I had my name taken by the railroad police several times, but they let me continue walking the R.O.W but never the trestles. They were documenting that I had been warned.

First train trip in 1947 at age 5 to Washington DC on the “Southerner” (hence my sign on name) return trip was on a local that stopped at every little town. I remember it was hot and very crowded, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

My first overnight was in a sleeper attached to the Crescent carrying me along with other recruits to Fort Jackson, S.C. in 1964. Our car was detached sometime during the night and sent on to Columbia, S.C. I had a roomette all to myself.

My wife and I have taken two LD trips. In 1999 we went from Charlottesville to Salt Lake City. In 2005 we went from Charlottesville to Portland OR. Each time was 6 days (Bedroom) on the train and 1 or 2 days at our destination. Both trips were very enjoyable. We use the refurbished Charlottesville station for all of our western trips since it is only an hour’s drive and eliminates the early departure, long layover in Washington and late arrival back in Lynchburg. We only use the Lynchburg station when going to Washington on a day trip. We arrive in DC just in time for the opening of the Smithsonian buildings. We leave DC at 6:30 p.m. and arrive back in Lynchburg around 11 PM

We want to do another trip in 2007 or 2008 to perhaps Seattle if Amtrak still has LD trains.
Ahhh...the land of lemonade! You are not terribly far from a place I personally regard as beautiful: Danville, Va.! Danville was at one time, a leader in textiles mfg., and last I heard, Dan River Corp. was planning on leaving. To keep this Amtrak related, I have also heard that Danville may be cut from the list of stops on the crescent.

Hi there, just discovered this site after being a longtime member on the timeshare boards. I used to be an onboard employee of Amtrak's Autotrain from 1984-1986. At that time I lived in Alexandria, Va, originally from Greensburg, Pa. I now am out of the rail industry and am in banking here in the metro Atlanta area. I would enjoy meeting other former autotrain employees and discussing the old days! Sue

I am a 46-year-old native Texan. Born and raised in Fort Worth, TX. My father had an interest in trains and that rubbed off on me at a young age. I can remember meeting my grandparents at the T&P station for Christmas visits and rode the Texas Chief on at least one occasion (too young to remember the year). I have spent my entire working 'career' in sports media of some sort. 16 years as a sports information director at various universities and the past four years working PR for a motorsports team in Indianapolis.

I moved to Indiana in 1999 and live just west of Indianapolis. My young son has caught the train but as well and he and I managed to take at least one trip via Amtrak each year. Some long (Texas Eagle from Chicago to Fort Worth) and others not-so (the Hoosier State from Crawfordsville to Chicago). My other main hobby is motorcyling and just piddling on my car and bikes.

Great forum, interesting topics and a good bunch of guys...and the occasional gal, too!

:lol: Hey, I hail these days from Tampa, Florida. (TPA) and work 3 blocks from the Lakeland, FL Amtrak station (LAK/LKL).

Originally grew up and worked in Northern NJ as an IT guy, moved to FL in 2004.

Work in LAK in a great IT shop and get to railfan Amtrak and CSX during lunch and commute! (scanner is at my desk!)

Regards,

Charlie. C.

:lol: Hey, I hail these days from Tampa, Florida. (TPA) and work 3 blocks from the Lakeland, FL Amtrak station (LAK/LKL).
Originally grew up and worked in Northern NJ as an IT guy, moved to FL in 2004.

Work in LAK in a great IT shop and get to railfan Amtrak and CSX during lunch and commute! (scanner is at my desk!)

Regards,

Charlie. C.
Welcome - wish I was in Florida, today. It was 8 degrees in central KY this AM!!

Welcome - wish I was in Florida, today. It was 8 degrees in central KY this AM!!
Ouch this morning I felt cold when it was 61 degrees warmer, I have become a wimp, but then at 5:00am I was in a swim suit :rolleyes:

oops I just fixed a 20 degree error

I'm back in Ft. Lauderdale for the weekend, lows in the mid 60's. People are complaining how cold it is, meanwhile back home in Tallahassee our HIGH is in the low 50's. Oh yes so cold South Florida. ;)

:D Hi, I'm from Mogadore, Ohio, and will turn 50 in January. It's been a rough year, since I was downsized from a major bank in July and now I'm at the bottom again in income with my current job. Nothing like losing $4.00 an hour. But I had severance that just ran out.

My husband and I took the Amtrak to Philadelphia this last September and loved it, so we decided to take the Amtrak to San Antonio, TX the third week of January to see my oldest son graduate from Lackland Air Force Base, from basic training. We are getting a sleeper from Chicago to San Antonio. Does anyone know if the Texas Eagle is an on time train or is it usually late? I was smitten with rail travel, as a young girl, when we went to Minneapolis. We were on the Silver Zephyr and we sat in the dome car. That was great!

Any experiences of people, as children, as they were riding the train?

I live in Columbia, MO. The nearest Amtrak station is Jefferson City but the most convenient stations for going places are La Plata or St. Louis. I'm 50 and have been riding trains most of my life. My parents didn't like to drive so we took trips to see relatives on the train. I have very vague memories of taking the train from Denverr to Kansas City and on to Alabama and fond memories of taking the Denver Zephyr to Chicago, going to the Field Museum or Museum of Science and Industry all day and then taking the L&N to either Birmingham or Montgomery.

Just joined the forum yesterday after a few days as a "guest". I am learning lots reading various posts and threads. Never been in any other forum before.

Currently living in Erie, PA where shortly after moving here 10 years ago I realized we were about 10 blocks from the Amtrak Station!

Rode Amtrak first in 1975 or 76 (at age 10 or 11) when my father lost his job in Philly and began working in Pittsburgh. Mom lugged my sister and I along by train, all the while talking fondly of riding the rails herself as a kid who grew up on Long Island and went to Penn State Main Campus in the 50s (anyone have a clue what route she would have been riding back then?)

My wife and I were married only a year or so, 1992, and living in York, PA when we were to be vacationing in a timeshare "bonus week" in Atlantic City (gift from my folks). Our car broke down a week before the vacation and a local travel agent got us on a train from Lancaster that connected with a NJ Transit train right into AC. We were so broke! By the way, could we have been through Grand Central at this time? Seems like we were.

Fast forward to 1998 or 1999 when, after moving to Erie and wanting to try out the station, I bought a ticket on the Lake Shore & Crescent to a business conference in Atlanta. That did it! I was hooked! And the food was mostly to blame! Or at least partly! Back then the food was regional on most trains and the Crescent's rocked!

Then my family began training to FL each winter when the cold winds blew across Lake Erie and dumped feet of snow on us and more snow and more snow through April sometimes...

In 2000 we trained to Disney, FL and met my folks there for a week.

When Mom was in her end-stages of colon cancer we booked a last-minute Auto Train trip that sealed our family's love-affair with trains. Mom only had months left and we drove to VA: my wife and kids, my sister and her daughter, and my folks. My sister and folks stayed in a family bedroom; we were in coach. The staff of that train took royal care of us even allowing we coachies to eat with the rest in the first class diner. Mom ate steak, drank wine and remarked that she must be crazy for going on the trip in her shape.

Since then we've done the Capitol Limited (no longer do we have a connection in NY for FL trains without spending a night there, so we head over to Cleveland or down to Pgh).

We've repeated on the Auto Train and Silver Service.

I organized a senior high trip to the Navajo Reservation for my church and subsequently my family has taken the Zephyr out to Salt Lake, rented a car and toured the State and National Parks, returning on the SW Chief.

Booked a trip with another group of Senior Highs to Chicago in 2004 with a sleeper on the way back to Erie. In spite of the fiasco that proved to be (Met. Lounge renovations, return trip delayed for hours because of a wreck forcing no dinner service...ugh) the teens loved it. Trying to build a new generation of rail riders!

Last summer we did the Empire Builder...the best! to Glacier/Banff vacation with my father. 5 of us in the family room-tight, but it worked and saved us $$$.

Flying solo to FL in March (since no LSL-Silver Service) connection, but will take the Meteor/LSL home a week later.

Haven't ridden a route or train I didn't like yet. Love to kick back, read, drink a beer, talk to fellow travelers, eat in the diner--all that is unique to train travel.

Decided this week I might like to write a book about family rail travel...has it already been done?

Back