Where to stay in Seattle & LA?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njulian

Service Attendant
I'm looking at a cruise out of Vancouver for next year. Looks like the easiest way to get there is Southwest Chief to LA then Coast Stalight to Seattle, spend the night there then take Cascades the next morning the rest of the way the next morning. (entering this in the AMTRAK site puts you on a bus late at night from Seattle to Vancouver). Coming back, the Coast Starlight misses the Chief for that night so would again need to spend the night, this time in LA, then get on the Chief the next day. My question is what are the nearest and most decent hotels to stay at for these layover periods in Seattle and LA?

There is a Best Western close to Pikes Market and not far from the train station that a lot of people stay in. We stayed there and liked it. I hope I have the right hotel:)

The Metro Plaza Hotel is just a block from Los Angeles Union Station and I've stayed there on two separate trips..... most recently in July 2011. It's affordable, clean, and close albeit not by any means fancy. It's comparable to Best Westerns that I've stayed in.

I'm sure others here can suggest better places that are not much further out.

In Seattle, I've stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square http://www.pioneersquare.com/ twice, and the Courtyard Seattle Downtown Pioneer Square http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/seaps-courtyard-seattle-downtown-pioneer-square/ once.

I enjoyed my stay at both hotels, and I consider them to be within walking distance of King Street Station.

In LA, I've stayed only at the Metro Plaza, http://www.metroplazahoteldowntownla.com/content/ three times, I believe. I was satisfied with the room and staff, as many other members here have been. It's also quite close to Union Station.

Enjoy your trip!

Mike

When I did 4 nights in SEA last Summer, I stayed at The Inn at Virginia Mason and was more than happy. It is just a couple blocks east of the 5 and within easy walking distance to downtown and the Public Market. The property maintains its original 1920s charm and the rooms are very spacious and well appointed.

http://www.innatvirginiamason.com/

Yes the Best Western Pioneer Square is where we stayed. I think I got the recommendation from this site. Maybe from OBS?

I agree with the Metro Plaza in LA and if you want an Affordable,Safe, Clean Place close to the Amtrak Station in Seattle, try the Hostel International (Americana Hotel)! They have Private Rooms ($65 a night which is Good for Seattle!) and Dorms Rooms and Breakfast is included and it's Two Blocks to the Amtrak KIng Street Station! Nothing Fancy but a great Place for the Money! ;)

Of course you can Google up all the Usual Discount Travel Sights (ie Orbitz,Priceline, Hotwire etc. etc.) and find Plenty of Hotels Deals, just remember that Seattle gets Crowded and Pricey in the Summer and LA can also @ Selected Times!

2 years ago, I stayed in the Ramada Downtown Seattle. It's on 5th Avenue about 2 blocks north of the Westlake station on the light rail and monorail. I would stay there again. Nice, clean hotel. Diner on the ground floor. Walkable to the Space Needle, much of Downtown, and of course, the Westlake transit station.

2 years ago, I stayed in the Ramada Downtown Seattle. It's on 5th Avenue about 2 blocks north of the Westlake station on the light rail and monorail. I would stay there again. Nice, clean hotel. Diner on the ground floor. Walkable to the Space Needle, much of Downtown, and of course, the Westlake transit station.
That hotel is no longer a Ramada. It is now the Hotel Five. They remodeled the whole thing.

That hotel is no longer a Ramada. It is now the Hotel Five. They remodeled the whole thing.
And this is where I will be staying in a few weeks for my overnight in Seattle. I got a good rate on priceline. Has anyone stayed since they remodeled? What are your thoughts?

Another option would be the Silver Cloud-Stadium. It is nice and fairly close, although not as close as the Best Western Pioneer Square. The only problem is it is a bit more remote from the rest of downtown, being at the corner of First Ave S & Royal Brougham, between Century Link and Safeco Field. But a plus is if you want to see an M's game, Safeco is right across the street, and the Pyramid Ale brewpub is diagonally across the intersection.

Also, another thumbs up for the Metro Plaza in LA. Have stayed there many time connecting to and from the Coast Starlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm? Was this after the AU Gathering? :ph34r: :eek: :p

We (LadyWidget & I) stayed at the W Hotel Seattle last spring following our trip on #14. Short cab ride from King Street Station; walking distance to Pike Place Market. The hotel is very nice and the service is excellent.

I have stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Seattle. It is very comfortable and reasonably priced.

In Los Angeles, I spent one night at the Metro Plaza and found it acceptable. It's location to

LAUS is great and Philip's is one block away.

In Seattle, there is also the Green Tortoise Hostel. It is literally across the street from Pike Place Market.

http://www.greentortoise.net/index.php

They have lots of positive reviews on Yelp.

I stayed there for a couple nights a few years ago when it was at their previous location near Seattle Center and it was a great experience...met a few nice travelers from around the world.

Right now you probably do not want to stay at the Cecil Hotel in downtown LA unless you don't mind a stiff floating in your water supply :eek:
Amen, what a Dump! (and Part of it is a "Botique Hotel" called "Stay" that is Inside the Flop House that is the Hotel Cecil!Not much Cheaper than the Metro Plaza which is 1,000 Times Better! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back